Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,493 times

Advertisements

Im looking to relocate from the Indianapolis Area. Just need a change of scenery. I haven't been to either Milwaukee or Pittsburgh, but based off of what I've read and pictures I've seen these cities seem to be spot on. Are there other cities with similar vibes and qualities?

Im a 22 year old single male, and currently own a home and would like to get back to more of an urban life. Living downtown somewhere. I think I jumped the gun on home ownership a little to soon.

For Reference: Chicago by far is my favorite city I have spent time in, I just don't think I could live there. Also is a little big for my taste.

What I'm looking for:

Young Population
Possible College Scene
Active Population
Preferably near water
Near other large cities
Large Nightlife
Lively Downtown
Mild Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Young Population- Probably Pittsburgh
Possible College Scene- Pittsburgh
Active Population- Pittsburgh
Preferably near water- Tie, if you like rivers Pittsburgh, if you like the Great Lakes, Milwaukee
Near other large cities- Milwaukee.
Large Nightlife- Pittsburgh
Lively Downtown- Pittsburgh
Mild Climate- Pittsburgh

I know I'm from Pittsburgh and may be biased, but I don't think my opinions are too off target.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
May want to Consider Philadelphia since it is a large lively city and would put you in the middle of the Boston-Washington corridor and give you great access to the New Jersey coast.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
Young population---Pittsburgh
possible college scene-----I think Milw is solid with Marquette and UWM
active population----tie
near other large cities----Milw.
large nightlife----close call---would say both cities are fine here
lively downtown----slight edge Pittsburgh
mild climate----slighly milder climate Pittsburgh

Being from Milwaukee, although I admire and respect Pittsburgh a lot, I would decide for Milwaukee.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Pittsburgh across the board, with Milwaukee getting a tie in the "near large cities" category for being so close to Chicago.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I'd say the two cities are about equal in most regards, but I'd give Pittsburgh the slight edge. Two reasons:

1. Milwaukee definitely does NOT have a mild climate. I lived there for many years. Pittsburgh will be a bit milder.
2. This is a bit subjective, but I tend to see Pittsburgh as a more college-y city than Milwaukee (Pitt and Carnegie Mellon seem to be larger and more present than Marquette and UWM).

That being said, I do have another suggestion. Have you looked at Denver? It has a midwestern vibe kind of like the cities you mentioned, and it is active and young, with plenty of colleges. But being out west, you get plenty of sun and low humidity (making for a milder climate). You're not close to many cities, but you are close to many national parks and ski towns. Las Vegas isn't too far (and there are frequent/cheap flights).

Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 8,493 times
Awesome replies. I have considered Denver, just think its a little too isolated. Philly is enticing I just know nothing about it and wonder about it being too large. Any places or things I should do to "experience life" in Milwaukee and Pittsburgh? Like I said I'm open to other city suggestions

Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchurch View Post
Im looking to relocate from the Indianapolis Area. Just need a change of scenery. I haven't been to either Milwaukee or Pittsburgh, but based off of what I've read and pictures I've seen these cities seem to be spot on. Are there other cities with similar vibes and qualities?

Im a 22 year old single male, and currently own a home and would like to get back to more of an urban life. Living downtown somewhere. I think I jumped the gun on home ownership a little to soon.

For Reference: Chicago by far is my favorite city I have spent time in, I just don't think I could live there. Also is a little big for my taste.

What I'm looking for:

Young Population
Possible College Scene
Active Population
Preferably near water
Near other large cities
Large Nightlife
Lively Downtown
Mild Climate
Check out the Washington, DC area specifically the "urban suburb" of Arlington, Virginia just across the Potomac River from DC. The neighborhoods of Courthouse and Clarendon hit all of your criteria (young, active, lively nightlife) and sit right on the DC Metro's Orange Line (subway) for easy commutes to/from DC (minutes away). Both are minutes away from the famous Georgetown nightlife scene. All in all, it's a manageable big city vibe without feeling overwhelmed in my opinion. The area also has the lowest unemployment rate of any large metro area (around 6% versus the national average of 9.1%). It does have a higher cost of living (like NYC or Boston), however salaries reflect the difference. Thanks to Amtrak's Northeast Corridor service you can hop on a train in DC and be in NYC in 3 hours or to Philly in 2 hours if you want to get away for the weekend. Baltimore and the Inner Harbor are around an hour away. The Delaware or Maryland beaches (Rehoboth Beach/Bethany Beach, DE or Ocean City, MD) are 3 hours away. The weather is the mildest of the big cities in the Northeast and rarely gets the snow/ice/low temperatures that occur just to the north.

Court House - Car-Free Diet
Clarendon - Car-Free Diet
Arlington County, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 AM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Perhaps Philadelphia, Norfolk, Richmond or Baltimore.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Personally, I believe you would like Jacksonville,Fl. The city possesses all amenities you've noted! It is a fairly large city but it doesn't feel big city. Norfolk,Va would be great plus it has a large military presence.Raleigh,Nc is up and coming and quite similiar to MKE and Pitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.