Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM

19 posts, read 66,058 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC. It's too fast-paced for my liking. I live in Illinois and the extreme weather isn't good for my health so I must move. I'm not concerned about finding a job. (I help people lose weight). I'm caucasian, early 40's, a sweet attractive person with a smart teen who wants to attend a good school and future university, he wants to move and dislikes it here, he's a terrific kid. I like to live in a quiet/laid back, safe area, affordable since I have low income, friendly or laid back people-if possible. I looked into California because of the climate and beach but I can't afford the high rents. I visited Chattanooga, TN but it was very hilly and nothing there. We like fun-arcades, farm animals. I have low energy because of a chronic illness. Any ideas? pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Where in IL are you?

You might want to try Austin or Dallas, maybe even Phoenix or Albuquerque. Are you looking for mild 4 seasons or mild winters and brutal summers? lol

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
There are several small cities in CA where you could live. All through the Central Valley there are small(ish) cities with affordable (for CA) prices. CA has the best university system in the country.

I will agree with Steve-O for once and also recommend Albuquerque, Dallas, and Houston, but not Phoenix. I know Texas has some pretty good universities, but I don't know about New Mexico.

Let me throw in Cincinnati. They don't get that much snow there and it's very affordable with pretty good universities.

Maybe a small city in Virginia or North Carolina would work as well.

What's your price range?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
CA has the best university system in the country.

Let me throw in Cincinnati. They don't get that much snow there and it's very affordable with pretty good universities.
According to who does it have the best university system in the country??

Oh, and about Cincinnati, they have good universities and it is pretty affordable but I think she was looking for somewhere warm. Current temperature in Cincinnati right now - 8 degrees. Far from warm

Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Ya. Missouri has some great universities, too, but I don't think Illinois, Missouri, and Cincinnati are that far apart in temperature.

In fact, it's sleeting right now.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I suggest somewhere in Texas. It's not humid in some cities and there are some great universities in every city.

Lots of fat clients too... but that's the case everywhere huh?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
I visited Chattanooga, TN but it was very hilly and nothing there. We like fun-arcades, farm animals. I have low energy because of a chronic illness. Any ideas? pics?
I'm not sure what you mean, Chattanooga has nothing there? You didn't see the aquarium, IMAX theater, children's discovery center, baseball and football stadiums right downtown? Nickajack and Chickamauga Lakes? Lookout Mountain? I can't believe that there are no fun-arcades in a metro area of 500,000 people. And it's surrounded by farms, hanggliding and whitewater rafting.

Since Tennessee has no state income tax, you could easily live in or near Chattanooga, pay no state income tax, and do a lot of your shopping in Georgia which has no sales tax on groceries.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Well, may I suggest these warmer climate, laid back, affordable cities: Houston (where I'd like to live,) Fort Worth, Arlington, TX, Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Texarkana, Baton Rouge, Jackson, MS, Southaven, MS, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Mobile, Birmingham (metro, not city proper), Huntsville, Auburn, AL, Savannah, Macon, Valdosta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charleston, SC, Columbia, SC, Greenville, SC...

These are all possibilities. Metro Atlanta is nice and I like it, but gang activity is slowing spreading throughout the metro and it's not so laid-back. The same can be said for Dallas.

You might also consider Kentucky. It's warmer than NYC or most of Illinois, that's for sure. We have four true and distinct seasons here. That said, the weather can be unpredictable. Just in the past three weeks, in this very location (central Kentucky,) we've had hurricane-force straight line winds, tornadoes, thunderstorms, flooding, flash flooding, snow, ice, sleet, cold rain, warm rain, and as I type this a freezing rain system is moving in. I'm NOT making this up! I actually hate the weather here because of the inconsistency and near unpredictability, and it annoys the h*ll out of me! At least the far north consistently has long, snowy, cold winters and the far south has consistently warm and often humid "winters." However, you'll find Kentucky to be scenic, very laid back, have a cheaper cost of living than almost anywhere in the U.S., a low crime rate, and a high quality of life (primarily along and west of I-75.)

We have some nice, respectable universities in this state: UofK, UofL, WKU, Murray State, Morehead State, Centre College, Transylvania U., Bellarmine U., U. of the Cumberlands, to name a few. Of course, public universities are generally cheaper in the south than here, so that might be worth considering in your long-term financial planning. Our public secondary schools aren't anything to remark about at all, though. Dupont Manual, Louisville Male, and Oldham County (and maybe South and North Oldham and, in northern Kentucky, Fort Thomas Highlands) are the only public schools in Kentucky I'd ever consider sending my child to, if I had one. I'm sure many of my fellow native Kentuckians will disagree with me on this one, but there are no "government" schools in Lexington, Bowling Green, Owensboro, or the rest of rural Kentucky that I would feel comfortable sending my kids to.

I've tried to give a balanced point of view about Kentucky. If you move here, I would suggest the Louisville area (Jefferson and Oldham Counties, particularly.) The Louisville area has a very unique hometown culture that people come to appreciate over time; it's an area that grows on people, not one that people typically like right away. I have a "like-love-hate" relationship with the city (leaning toward hate,) but if I stay here in Kentucky, it will be Louisville because of its arts, cultural, parks and recreation, and educational opportunities. I'll admit, the architecture, neighborhoods, and Olmstead park system make it a non-cookie cutter city with a high quality of life. It actually has civilization! Only you can make up your mind, and I wish you the best of success in your endeavors.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-21-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Additional information about Louisville

Old 02-21-2008, 01:15 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Brownsville, TX. One of the only places where you can still get a house for around $100,000. The average winter high temperature is around 70. There are several universities, and a high rate of obesity. So I'm sure there will be a lot of work.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Colorado Springs might be a good place for you.The schools here are good.The best districts are D-20,D-38,and D-12.Its pretty laid back.Theres about 400,000 people in the city,and 600,000 people in the metro.Its only 60 miles from Denver.For a city of its size it is very safe.I mean there is crime,but for a city of almost 400,000 the crime is very low.You can get two bedroom apartments for under $600,and they will be in safe areas.That would be in an apartment complex though,but the apartment complexes here are pretty safe,and quiet.I don't live in one,but I know people who do and they've never had any problems.Im not sure what it costs to rent a house.But yeah,Colorado Springs is a nice place to live.The people are nice here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.