U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,603,596 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if there are any other cities that have multiple accents with differences? Like for example, Philly has multiple accents.
The south Philly accent

Pork Chops Joey - YouTube

The general Philly accent

Chris Matthews Wonders Who'll Get Kicked in the Testicles at Wednesday's Presidential Debate - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,024,526 times
I believe Boston has multiple accents, I think I even read that in a book that discussed American accents. I think the different boroughs of NYC have different accents or at least some of them do.

Older cities are more likely to have multiple accents as there was time for them to evolve. I would think older cities that are somewhat segregated, not necessarily by race, might be more likely as a bit of distance is sometimes also involved in accent formation. What is now Philadelphia contains some old places that were once independent and the same can be said of NYC.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,249,042 times
I've seen a linguistic map of the country that had two insets, one for New Orleans. It gave us three different accents. According to the map, if I walked 4 blocks from my house, I'd walk into a world where a different dialect was spoken.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:09 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,993,827 times
Atlanta, very southern, valley girl, and Midwestern/California.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,335,321 times
Chicago- but I think this more to do with residential divide based on race/ethnicity and even music taste to a smaller degree. A lot Black people in Chicago and the metro have a slight southern accent(I was in denial about this but I can see it now, especially with the middle age and older crowd), and pronouncing certain words like car( the ''r'' being silent) is no different from our southern counterparts. White people and Americanized Asians/Indians have the general Midwestern or the generic USA accents you hear from news anchors. Mexicans here either have a slight-completely Mexican accent orMidwestern, depending how much they interact with other people or/and listen to music other than from those of spanish lingo.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-24-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM

137 posts, read 216,236 times
I agree black Chicagoans have accents that you can trace back to most of their roots in Mississippi. Same goes for some Detroit residents whose roots are in Georgia. Its like a city-country accent, lol. Im always amazed at how many Chicago and Detroit people have roots in Mississippi and Georgia respectively.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,587,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Atlanta, very southern, valley girl, and Midwestern/California.
I'm in disagreement with that. Valley girl? Are you serious? "Midwestern", "California"? The quintesential California accent is like "Matt" on Operation Repo.

Amongst native-born Americans, Metro Atlanta is

"Southern" (40%) examples: Bryant Wright, Danny Lipford, Charles Stanley, Chuck Dowdle, Alan Jackson

"Diluted Southern" (30%) John Pruitt, Ken Cook

&

"General American" (30%) Ty Pennington, Ryan Seacrest

Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,832,947 times
New Orleans has about 10 different dialects and accents.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 9,593,330 times
Italian/ romance language areas immagrants sound differant from the Irish accent in Boston.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,080,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chicago- but I think this more to do with residential divide based on race/ethnicity and even music taste to a smaller degree. A lot Black people in Chicago and the metro have a slight southern accent(I was in denial about this but I can see it now, especially with the middle age and older crowd), and pronouncing certain words like car( the ''r'' being silent) is no different from our southern counterparts. White people and Americanized Asians/Indians have the general Midwestern or the generic USA accents you hear from news anchors. Mexicans here either have a slight-completely Mexican accent orMidwestern, depending how much they interact with other people or/and listen to music other than from those of spanish lingo.
These accents are probably what you hear from people who have moved to Chicago from other parts of the Midwest. Many people from the city whose ancestry goes back a few generations have the distinctive "Northern vowel shift" accent that's found among the Great Lakes cities from Milwaukee to Rochester. It's kind of a clipped accent, coming down hard on the Rs. Words like pot, shock, cop, and on are pronounced differently than any other accent in the US. I have 5 friends who grew up in the city, two on the North side, one on the West Side, and two on the South side. They all speak that way, with the exception of one, whose parents moved to the city from the West Coast before she was born. She has the generic "news anchor" accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.