Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM

40 posts, read 86,024 times

Advertisements

Two cities comes to mind: Austin, TX and Palo Alto, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
what about Las Cruces, NM?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Regarding the 20 inches snow, I remember it well. It was a once in a lifetime event like a 100 year flood is to those living in a river basin. It does not define the typical year or decade.
I was in Chapel Hill during that storm. It was completely absurd. The folks on WRAL were going on at 6PM that Monday with "We could get 6 inches of snow out of this!" and at that time it was snowing 2 inches an hour. I lived in the mountains for 12 years, and went through two genuine blizzards (tropical storm force winds, 3 feet of snow, drifts to the 2nd floor of houses) up there, and I remember thinking "Nope. The way this looks is what it looked like when it snowed in the mountains, which means we will have way more than 6 inches of snow." It was beautiful the next day. BTW, the record snowfall in North Carolina not in the mountains is 29 inches of snow that fell between Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids on March 1, 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Even Miami has had about a total of a dozen(ish) days that I'd consider cold in my ten years of experience.
I have had family in Miami since the 60s, and I remember the day in January 1977 when snow flurries fell in Miami. It was international news. The reaction of folks down there was - as one would expect - a little over the top.

As for more trivia, Los Angeles has never recorded a 1-inch-plus snowfall down in the basin (lowland) part of the city, but snow flurries were recorded on around 12 occasions over the 20th century; in January 1949 1/3 of an inch fell, which is the record.

The state records for Florida were set during a blizzard that reached all the way to the Gulf Coast in Feb. 1899. Tallahassee got 3 inches of snow and the temperature fell to -2. Accumulating snow fell as far south as Tampa during that storm, and all-time-record lows were recorded in almost every single state east of the Mississippi River. Flurries were recorded as far south as Fort Meyers. Farther west, the Mississippi River froze all the way to the Gulf, and when the ice broke up during the thaw a few days later, it became the only time on record that floating ice was observed in the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I think Santa Fe, New Mexico has a fair shot at it as it was a hotbed of artistic activity and still has a fairly strong fine arts scene (and part of the old legacy is still there with the Georgia O'Keeffe museum). It's also has the Santa Fe Institute, Los Alamos, and Sandia National Labs are also in the area so that contributes, too.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,839 times
hawaii and miami

Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
what about Las Cruces, NM?
NMSU has it's roots in agriculture and still is an agricultural school to some degree as well as applied sciences. Las Cruces is in an irrigated agricultural valley and also has a sizable retirement community. It's actually a nice little city. I think Albuquerque may be a bit more on the intelectual side with the UNM campus, the Sandia Labs, and Los Alamos on the periphery. Though if you don't think Raleigh is warm, then Albuquerque wouldn't qualify either. It's as high in altitude as Denver and is subject to winter chill. Perhaps Tucson, though I'm not sure what the University of Arizona is known for. Also Tempe, AZ near Phoenix has ASU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think Santa Fe, New Mexico has a fair shot at it as it was a hotbed of artistic activity and still has a fairly strong fine arts scene (and part of the old legacy is still there with the Georgia O'Keeffe museum). It's also has the Santa Fe Institute, Los Alamos, and Sandia National Labs are also in the area so that contributes, too.
Though Santa Fe is very sunny and certainly has a vibrant creative class, it's not really a "warm" city as it sits at over 7,000 feet in alitude, it gets its share of winter. I was there in March, the highs were in the low 60's and lows at night were in the 20's.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-25-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 PM

166 posts, read 376,295 times
Mobile, AL for sure!

Leprechaun in Mobile, Alabama - YouTube

Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM

224 posts, read 347,677 times
Beverly Hills

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Oh, for some reason I didn't think southern California counted.

There are parts of both LA and SD metro that have intellectual vibes of sorts. Pasadena definitely has it some extent as does Claremont. Santa Monica does, too, in certain areas. Basically the areas near the schools and certain major employment centers (which themselves are major employers) has that going.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Good post. I was thinking that also. Though yeah... forgot about the winter aspect there b/c of altitude. Those desert areas can be tricky!

SoCal is almost perfect warm climate....USC data= never average high below 68, with real summer in the 80s on average, and on average never where average lows aren't below 50.

'Warm climates' to me need to get a certain level of heat, but also not dip too cold either. Generally never much below 60 as a daily high, and never below ~40 as a daily low would fit, but also a progression into the 80s.

On further inspection I'd probably consider Palo Alto/San Jose, but other bay area climates are not good at all, like 1/2 the city of SF, Sausalito, coastal Marin/Sonoma. Damn those micro climates.

Pasadena seems like it might fit b/c of Cal Tech. I haven't spent much time there though besides cruising through.

Just looked up factlist on Santa Monica....

Universities and colleges within a 22-mile (35 km) radius from Santa Monica include Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles Southwest College, Los Angeles Valley College, Santa Monica College, Loyola Marymount University, Mount St. Mary's College, Pepperdine University, California State University, Northridge, California State University, Los Angeles, UCLA, USC, West Los Angeles College, West Valley Occupational Center and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

Interesting...

I walked around some areas of Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, and Venice at night and it did seem fairly upscale, though couldn't really pick up anything intellectual about it, though I wasn't looking for it either. It was definitely a nice area and walkable

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-27-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.