Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:57 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
How am I being picky, considering ALL of the areas that don't get that cold and don't snow that are available, it isn't a picky option. With that in mind, I'd say you post in another thread.
Keep in mind that this past winter it did get below freezing in Austin and Houston and New Orleans has seen some snowfall as well although it was a rare occurance. So if you are just looking for cities where it is guaranteed to never get below freezing you might as well just limit your search to Hawaii, South Florida, Phoenix, or Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
How about....

San Luis Obispo, CA (Cal Poly Tech)
Los Angeles, CA (Westwood and other university areas)
Claremont, CA (Pomona College)
Tempe, AZ (Arizona State U)
Tucson, AZ (area around U of Arizona)
Los Alamos, NM
Austin, TX (around U of Texas)
Houston, TX (around Rice)
New Orleans (around Tulane)
Oxford, MS (U of Mississippi)
Tuscaloosa, AL (U of Alabama)
Birmingham, AL (southside near UAB)
Mobile, AL (around U of Mobile)
Athens, GA (U of Georgia)
Atlanta, GA (GSU, GIT, etc.)
Coral Gables, FL (U of Miami)
Gainesville, FL (U of Florida)
Tampa, FL (U of Tampa)
[San Juan, PR (U of PR-Rio Piedras)]

Last edited by Empidonax; 10-01-2011 at 04:33 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 05:25 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Keep in mind that this past winter it did get below freezing in Austin and Houston and New Orleans has seen some snowfall as well although it was a rare occurance. So if you are just looking for cities where it is guaranteed to never get below freezing you might as well just limit your search to Hawaii, South Florida, Phoenix, or Southern California.
No, guaranteed is not a deal killer... That is why I go with the historical average.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
How about....

San Luis Obispo, CA (Cal Poly Tech)
Los Angeles, CA (Westwood and other university areas)
Claremont, CA (Pomona College)
Tempe, AZ (Arizona State U)
Tucson, AZ (area around U of Arizona)
Los Alamos, NM
Austin, TX (around U of Texas)
Houston, TX (around Rice)
New Orleans (around Tulane)
Oxford, MS (U of Mississippi)
Tuscaloosa, AL (U of Alabama)
Birmingham, AL (southside near UAB)
Mobile, AL (around U of Mobile)
Athens, GA (U of Georgia)
Atlanta, GA (GSU, GIT, etc.)
Coral Gables, FL (U of Miami)
Gainesville, FL (U of Florida)
Tampa, FL (U of Tampa)
[San Juan, PR (U of PR-Rio Piedras)]
I am going to question the intellectual vibes in bold, could you comment on how it is there? I always thought the more intellectual vibe (but more artsy) (if anything) around Tampa was down in Sarasota?. What do you think of Tallahassee since you added Gainesville, How about Columbia, SC?

In Atlanta I might think around Emory and GTech more so than GSU...

Old 10-01-2011, 07:07 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
I am going to question the intellectual vibes in bold, could you comment on how it is there? I always thought the more intellectual vibe (but more artsy) (if anything) around Tampa was down in Sarasota?. What do you think of Tallahassee since you added Gainesville, How about Columbia, SC?

In Atlanta I might think around Emory and GTech more so than GSU...
Good point about Emory in Atlanta--I forgot about it. Tallahassee might be a good option, too, just because it has FSU, but I'm not sure. Gainesville is more of a sure thing. I kind of thought about Sarasota, but the college presence seems small (New College of Florida, Ringling College....what else?), and the demographics show a low educational attainment rate overall.

The U of Tampa is in downtown Tampa within walking distance to the arts and entertainment districts and close to historic Ybor City, etc. Though such districts are not necessarily "intellectual" per se, they do draw residents and visitors with culture, politics, and such on their mind.

Tempe is a full-fledged city-suburb of Phoenix with a lot of arts and entertainment options on and off campus. Mill Avenue is an area near campus where university folks and other pedestrians congregate.

Perhaps the OP's meaning of "intellectual vibe" needs to be specified. I've been approaching the idea pretty generically, from upscale college neighborhoods at the fringes of the core city to downscale indie districts adjacent to downtowns, from gentrified downtown arts districts to small semi-isolated cities that pretty much exist at the behest of an academic institution. Any of these can have an "intellectual vibe," but maybe the OP prefers that the vibe be predominant in the area (rather than one of many cultural subsets), or that the people in the area value dreadlocks and tattoos rather than khakis and Volvos. There are many variants possible.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
But sometimes intellectuals isn't such a great thing. There are intellectuals who know science fiction... then those who read all day and don't experience life enough.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM

927 posts, read 585,638 times
I know you are being politically correct so I am going to be blunt and ask what do you mean by "intellectual vibe" as most likely you are referring to Liberals without mentioning their name. Up in Portland they trash the city anytime Trump even breaths wrong now their messiah is no longer President and they lost "key" states they aren't happy with what they have. I suspect they are never happy. Seattle it's even worse but at least Portland the historical buildings aren't torn down for "affordable" housing looking like an ugly mess. You can still get 1900s era buildings largely looking the same if your car doesn't get dinged by a protester.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:04 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
The average lows for raleigh

Nov 39
Dec 32
Jan 29
Feb 31
March 38

Records snowfall of over an inch on average in Jan, Feb, March and always some on average from Nov-March, can also get ice storms/blizzards. Max snowstorm in Raleigh was 20 inches of snow, which is up there with Chicago levels of max snow fall from a storm.

That is not a warm city to me.

You should know the difference between Florida warm, and NC warm. As I said I wouldn't even consider SF warm as many parts of the area never get above 70 on average as a high in the warmest month of the year. Under 70 to me is "mild weather". In the 30s or below at night is cold weather, especially 5 months out of the year.

Anyway back to discussion, good point with Rice Village. Never spent any time there, how is it? Also what are intellectual areas of LA if there are any? How about Austin?
Well your big issue is how you define warm. Basically you've excluded 90%+ of the US with your definition. Dallas is probably too cold for you based on your definition. Austin probably is too. While it has lows of about 40 in Jan and Feb, it isn't THAT uncommon for it to be below freezing. Austin has gotten up to 10 inches before, very rare, but it has happened. I mean even Houston has gotten snow before and goes below freezing every single year. (average of 9 days)

The deal is the best schools in the South are either by your bizarre definition "not warm enough", or are in large cities. No other large city has the "Intellectual Culture" of Boston, they are a big outlier. Even then, most people in Boston didn't go to an elite school. The "Intellectual Culture" of Boston is still concentrated in certain areas and neighborhoods.

So yeah, you can find "Intellectuals" hanging out in Rice Village in Houston, or around just about any institution of higher learning in the south.

Oxford, MS isn't Oxford, England but it's a college town and you can find plenty of very smart people there.

It all depends on your arbitrary definition of "Warm" and "Intellectual"

Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM

78 posts, read 104,875 times
For the record, I am under a freeze warning right now in Austin. Not sure if that helps put things into perspective for you or not. Personally I like the variety of weather I get here. (Liked it even more in OKC but I'll take what I can get)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.