Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is an urban lake?
any lake in any city limit 13 50.00%
A lake with urban development coming right up to the shores 10 38.46%
Something else that I will go into pains to explain below 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times

Advertisements

When I think of urban lakes, I think of Minneapolis; Bellevue, WA; or Chicago. I think even Lake Minnetonka (a very non-dense suburb of Minneapolis) is even an urban lake depending how you look at it. But I think a true urban lake is within city limits and connects almost seemlessly with the surrounding neighborhoods/streets. Most lakes are treated like a resort with a ring road around them with luxury homes dotting the shoreline. A true urban lake is a lake that "happens to be in the middle of the city".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So Htown, you were so certain of how correct you were that you had to start a whole other thread to seek validation? Hmm.

For those posters here who are unaware of the little game they've been sucked into, this thread is a spin-off of a conversation in another thread where the OP read far too much into the word "urban" as it was used to describe White Rock Lake's role in the fabric of Dallas.

I, along with another poster, were simply referring to WR as being an urban lake as it is nestled in the heart of the city of Dallas, as opposed to Houston's lakes which are in the far flung burbs. WRL is (a) less than 10 miles from downtown (b) in the backyard of numerous historic and walkable neighborhoods/districts (c) is directly connected by rail, with its own station on DART's Blue Line.

But the OP would not agree to it being an urban lake, because it wasn't completely surrounded by office buildings and other mid/highrises, or whatever. Simply put, he/she just wanted to split hairs to make their argument seem less fallible.

I'm actually interested to hear others' take on this.
Not surpised in the least. In this case, I am not aware of any lake in the whole state of Texas that is truly urban. Hell, I don't think there are any real lakes in Texas in the 1st place, so why the debate?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Not surpised in the least. In this case, I am not aware of any lake in the whole state of Texas that is truly urban. Hell, I don't think there are any real lakes in Texas in the 1st place, so why the debate?
It actually surprised me that it's turned into this big of a debate over one little word.

Southern cities in general aren't as built up as their northern counterparts. That is a given. But WR is still an urban lake in that it is a part of the city's core. What is that you aren't surprised about?

And yes Texas does have a real lake.

Last edited by Nairobi; 09-30-2011 at 01:59 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Lake Conroe and Sabine Lake that Texas shares with Louisiana.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lake Conroe and Sabine Lake that Texas shares with Louisiana.
Well actually, Sabine is an estuary and Lake Conroe is a resevoir. I believe the only natural lake is the Caddo, which straddles the border in northeastern Texas.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
Lake Merritt, though no doubt beautiful, is also an urban estuary and not a lake.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,489,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Definitely a lake within a city limit. I wouldn't consider Lake Ontario, Erie, or Michigan an urban lake
but they have urban lakefronts

Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A lake with development on it. All of it doesn't necessarily need to be developed. Lake Michigan is and urban lake near Chicago. Lake Pontchartrain. City Park and University Lakes in LSU.
Lake Michigan, or any of the Great Lakes are NOT urban lakes. Parts of them are urban, but the vast majority of them are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
but they have urban lakefronts
^^This^^ Urban lakefront, or urban beaches, but that doesn't make the whole lake urban in nature.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
I'd say an urban lake is a lake with urban development all the way around. Not just cute lakehouses ringing a lake either - that would still be rural since in most cases you walk out those houses backyards and you're in the country.

A lake with highways, large buildings and an urban city spreading out from all sides.

I'd say Chicago is an urban area on a lake - but Lake Michigan is far more rural than urban.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:59 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,558,872 times
Onondaga Lake next to Syracuse is very close to being a purely urban lake.

Smells like it, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.