Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Another name for this is the Tri-State area, but using NY metro area insinuates that they are NY'rs. The Tri-state area is made of states that border on New York State. They are New Jersey and Connecticut (and some people even include Pennsylvania). So my statement was more of clarification.

Stating that kids in the state of New Jersey and kids in New York City are connected somehow because they are both in the NY metro area is ambiguous and in a logic (mathematical subsets) status would be considered false.

We already know the MQ is from NJ, but MJ may possibly also be not from from NY either since she started another Jewish related thread that to anyone who lives in NYC (or has lived in or works in) would have been common knowledge of.
Seriously?

The NYC Metro area is what it is. Just because you think that if someone says NY metro area they mean NY does not make it so.

And where do you keep coming up with these statements that no one made. No one said that kids in NY and NJ are connected because they are in the NY metro area. You are just making things up now.

They actually do have some connection though. Because the demographic make up of the area is similar in some parts of Jersey and New York, some school districts will have similar rules regarding Jewish holidays. No one has said that all school districts in the entire metro area are the same, in fact the 2 posters you mention actually made differing statements on the subject.

If I may ask, how long did you live in NYC since you said, "anyone who lives in NYC (or has lived in or works in) would have been common knowledge of."?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Another name for this is the Tri-State area, but using NY metro area insinuates that they are NY'rs<snip>
Not at all. NY metro area includes northern NJ, as well as LI, Westchester, Rockland counties in NY State, Fairfield County in CT, and sometimes a county in PA. People who live here know what "NY Metro area" refers to.

Google "NY Metropolitan area" and see what you get.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times
the reason that the public schools in the new york area are closed for the major jewish holidays is that at one time most of the teachers were jewish - it would be impossible to replace all the jewish teachers out with subs for the holidays so the board of education decided closing made more sense - not sure what calendar you work off of but the schools are closed for christmas break - they usually close one or two days before christmas and dont return until after new years - spring break at one time did coincide with good friday and easter but that i believe has changed - if you check out other states you will find that the schools do not close for the jewish holidays - by the way school is not a free babysitting service -

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
If I may ask, how long did you live in NYC since you said
Brooklyn resident for 20 years, Manhattan resident for 5 years. Followed by 5-ish years as Upper Brookville resident on Long Island then out of state as a resident and out of country for a few months stretch every year in different coutries as part of job. Fly into NYC a few times a month when in US. Enough information? Enough experience as being a true New Yorker? Or maybe you want my time as a US Marine too.

Semper Fi

Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
NY metro area includes ......
And the part to snipped out already said that.
Quote:
The Tri-state area is made of states that border on New York State. They are New Jersey and Connecticut (and some people even include Pennsylvania).
And here the link you didn't include

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
And the part to snipped out already said that.

And here the link you didn't include

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I like this one better. Doesn't include PA.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/td...litan-area.jpg

Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Brooklyn resident for 20 years, Manhattan resident for 5 years. Followed by 5-ish years as Upper Brookville resident on Long Island then out of state as a resident and out of country for a few months stretch every year in different coutries as part of job. Fly into NYC a few times a month when in US. Enough information? Enough experience as being a true New Yorker? Or maybe you want my time as a US Marine too.

Semper Fi
I only asked how long you lived in NY not your life story.
I don't see how your time in the Marines would have anything to do with this discussion. Did you think that would give more credibility to your posts?
It didn't, you still posted made up statements and some of your replies were completely irrelevant to the posts you replied to.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
We have spent most of our lives living in various cities in Texas, including Houston and Dallas, and now Oklahoma City. None of our schools have ever been closed for Jewish holidays. The Jewish kids were allowed to take off for them, if they wanted, as were the Muslim kids. One of my sons had a girlfriend that was Jewish but I don't believe she actually took off school for any of the holidays.

Christmas break is not called "Christmas Break" here, but I believe it's now called "Winter Break", or something like that, which here, goes from the week before Christmas through the first week of January. My kids have been out of school for a couple of years now, so I've kind of forgotten about it. We also had Fall Break here, which is something like 3 days in mid October (never had that in Texas, although my nephews district did) and typical Spring Break, a week in March.

As for Good Friday, some of the districts we've been in have had it as a holiday, while some have not. Our current district does not have Good Friday off. I assume it's because, in the districts where we had it off, we had a large Catholic population. Our current district is not largely Catholic, but probably Baptist, Methodist and non-denominational. I think we are members of one of the few denominations that does actually observe Good Friday, although it mostly consists of only attending an evening church service, which would not be affected by attending school during the day.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomJessy View Post
In this economy, I don't think many parents' could afford babysitters. Not me at least.
Don't pay any attention to that poster. Rich people have no problems because they can just throw money at them.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM

174 posts, read 470,776 times
lol I was under the impression it's only in the Lower Hudson Valley area. I think we were the only ones to have them in the entire nation. It's because of demographics differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.