Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:10 PM

61 posts, read 275,671 times

Advertisements

Where are some of the nice(r) folks in the U.S.? Friendliest, kindest, most neighbourly, most polite, most charming, most hospitable, most open-minded, least aggressive, least obnoxious, least rude, etc - however you'd like to put it.

- Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 04:28 PM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
Nice people are everywhere. Rude people are everywhere. Places with all of one or the other do not exist.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:32 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
The Upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan U.P.) has the nicest people I've ever met.

They can't cook though (other than pasties). They need to learn that there are other spices in the world besides salt and pepper.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:37 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
Well, the midwest has a solid reputation for your polite, neighborly, hardworking "salt of the earth" types. The "open minded" part might be a little harder to come by though..."heartland" folks tend to be more conservative than in other parts of the country and may not be as open to things like gay marriage, interracial couples, etc.

Up north here in Minnesota, we're a little more liberal (we are a "blue" state, after all) and we're known for politeness and "minnesota nice." But I do hear that we can seem reserved and even "standoffish" to new people when it comes to making actual friendships. (i.e., we'll won't think twice about jump starting a stranger's dead battery in the grocery store parking lot, but we're not as apt to invite you to a weekend at the cabin until we get to know you.)

The western U.S. has a lot of casual, friendly, outdoorsy types. Usually take a "live and let live" approach to "alternative" lifestyles (except in ultra-conservative places like Utah, of course I lived in Colorado for a while and found it pretty easy to make friends. My theory is since a lot of people out there are "transplans" from somewhere else, there are more people out "looking" for freinds. Though I did get the sense that those friendships are sometimes a little more "shallow" than in a close-knit community (say in New England or the Midwest) where everyone has known each other since kindergarten.

Californians in particular have a reputation for being shallow and materialistic...if you don't look like a supermodel and drive a BMW, you're a loser. On the other hand, if you DO, you'll have lots of (fake) friends. (You poor Californians always seem to get the bad rap!)

Southern people are very gracious and hospitable, but from what I've read here, it also sounds like there's also a lot of gossiping and backstabbing going on and it's very hard to be accepted as "one of them" when you're not from there, especially if you're a "yankee."

I haven't spent a lot of time in the North East, but they seem to have a reputation for being rude. I have a neice who moved to upstate NY and HATES it there. She's a little odd herself, but she says people are just really unfreindly...rude drivers, rude service workers, etc. etc. and she can't wait to come home.

Of course these are all very broad generalizations, but just my .02 based on nothing scientific at all

Old 09-07-2006, 04:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I'm nice!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:11 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm nice!!!
Yes Twinkle, you are very nice. I am also very nice and I was born and raised in NEW YORK! As a matter of fact, some people even call me Sweet. http://bestsmileys.com/angles/9.gif (broken link)

When I visited Hawaii besides loving the weather to no end, I loved the people. They were unbelievable friendly and happy.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Hey, Isabella, did you notice that we are "Senior Members"??? I haven't been here long enough to be a Senior yet!!!

Yes, Hawaii is nice and the people are great. Say, do you ever watch Dog the Bounty Hunter? I never used to watch it, but now I'm into it!

Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Default Seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hey, Isabella, did you notice that we are "Senior Members"??? I haven't been here long enough to be a Senior yet!!!

Yes, Hawaii is nice and the people are great. Say, do you ever watch Dog the Bounty Hunter? I never used to watch it, but now I'm into it!
Hey Twinkle Toes and Isabella. We'll have to create a "Seniors" forum and move you two there!

I lived in Hawaii for 4 years (1986-1990) and yes the people are nice. Though watching "Dog" it looks like drugs are getting worse there.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
Did you guys see the episode where his daughter died on his wedding day?? I can't imagine the kind of emotional roller coaster THAT must have been

Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan U.P.) has the nicest people I've ever met.

They can't cook though (other than pasties). They need to learn that there are other spices in the world besides salt and pepper.
I have to agree with the Wisconsin, never met a shy cheesehead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.