U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

15,669 posts, read 18,223,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I'm not sure for small towns, but when it comes to Christmas in BIG CITIES...

(IN MY OPINION)
Chicago wins hands down! Even over New York City. Nobody does Christmas like Chicago

1. Chicago
2. New York City
3. Honolulu
4. Boston
5. Washington DC
Honolulu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,925,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Honolulu?

YUP!!!

Honolulu is BEAUTIFUL during Christmas time!!! Hawai'i does GREAT with Christmas. I'm willing to bet it's one of the top destinations for Christmas
"Mele Kalikimaka" IS the thing to say...

It's not always about cold days, snow falls and fresh pine smells.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,816,665 times
A better type of flash mob

Opera Company of Philadelphia "Hallelujah!" Random Act of Culture - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,352,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
great shot the water tower almost looks like a steeple (sand Honcock behind)

But also very much small towns and how they decorate - Rockwellian almost
i think the clock adds a rockwellian touch

Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,126,160 times
Pittsburgh has the ice rink at PPG Place. It's larger than the famous ice rink at Rockefeller Center. (Eat it, New York!)

Every November, Pittsburgh has "Light-Up Night," which kicks off the holiday season the Friday before Thanksgiving. For Light-Up Night, most of the lights in most of the buildings in downtown Pittsburgh are turned on, which makes the city even brighter, and makes it reflect off the rivers even more.

There's also a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony at Point State Park, followed by a fireworks display that can be seen from all the prominent viewpoints around downtown. Some bridges are even closed to vehicle traffic for the occasion, to allow pedestrians to gather and watch.

That night is the first night that the ice rink at PPG Place is open for business. It stays open throughout the winter all the way to mid-March, and has a giant Christmas tree in the middle until about a week into January.

The lighting of the Christmas tree, plus the fireworks, the lights in the skyscrapers downtown, and the prevalence of elaborate light displays in and around the city -- the Hartwood Celebration of Lights at Hartwood Acres is a prominent example -- has led the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County to recognize the holiday season as "sparkle season."

Christmas in Pittsburgh is a fun time.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,202,175 times
IMHO, nothing beats Santa Fe with all the lit farolitos on rooftops & lining courtyards everywhere at Christmas!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

14,945 posts, read 16,541,636 times
Yeah, Santa Fe (and northern NM in general) deserves recognition in this category. They definitely do their own thing and it can be quite striking with the contrast of adobe architecture, snow, and farolitos and luminarias.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,202,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yeah, Santa Fe (and northern NM in general) deserves recognition in this category. They definitely do their own thing and it can be quite striking with the contrast of adobe architecture, snow, and farolitos and luminarias.
I too call them luminarias. To me, farolitos are the old fashioned fires. But in Santa Fe they tend to call the bags/sand/candles farolitos. Whatever the local term, they sure are beautiful!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM

174 posts, read 425,522 times
I am going to say NYC and Chicago. I haven't been to New York, but I have seen videos and pictures of it during Christmas time and I know it's awesome. Chicago is so nice during Christmas. It probably beats NYC. Both cities have an ice rink and a huge Christmas tree. Chicago puts lights on all of the trees downtown and Macy's takes down all if their American flags (I think they have like 20) and makes the flagpoles into trumpet decorations. Macy's also carries on the Marshall Fields tradition of putting Christmas scenes in all of their windows. People walk by and look at each window.

I have many memories of going down to the Loop just before Christmas and having a nice dinner and looking at the lights, trees, and window decorations. Nothing compares to Christmas in the Windy City. The Midwest in general really loves Christmas. In the small suburban town I live, every house puts some sort of lights up, and most go all out with it. Then the snow comes. There's absolutely nothing like it. I can't wait!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM

137 posts, read 472,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs View Post
I am going to say NYC and Chicago. I haven't been to New York, but I have seen videos and pictures of it during Christmas time and I know it's awesome. Chicago is so nice during Christmas. It probably beats NYC. Both cities have an ice rink and a huge Christmas tree. Chicago puts lights on all of the trees downtown and Macy's takes down all if their American flags (I think they have like 20) and makes the flagpoles into trumpet decorations. Macy's also carries on the Marshall Fields tradition of putting Christmas scenes in all of their windows. People walk by and look at each window.

I have many memories of going down to the Loop just before Christmas and having a nice dinner and looking at the lights, trees, and window decorations. Nothing compares to Christmas in the Windy City. The Midwest in general really loves Christmas. In the small suburban town I live, every house puts some sort of lights up, and most go all out with it. Then the snow comes. There's absolutely nothing like it. I can't wait!
NYC is world famous for its Christmas decorations, and well known on some movies like "Home Alone 2" etc. People from all over the world love to visit NYC during Christmas time. I have a facebook photoalbum of Christmas in NYC... great one!

There are Christmas lights at every suburban homes across the U.S., not only in Illinois or the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.