Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,255 times

Advertisements

Hi, im from portugal so sorry about my english...
Well, im 22 years old and i ALWAYS loved the 'littletown' way of life of americans, im going to usa in a few months so im asking here suggestions of this kind of towns...
Something like Everwood from 'Everwood' serie... or 'Silverstown' from 'Joe Dirt' movie, or maybe something like the Hannah Montana movie... something next to the nature
A city where you see old mens walking on the streets with cowboy hats and boots...
a town with a main street where you can solve all of your problems without huge lines, no need to take a car and travel miles and miles in huge traffics...
I want to wake up in peace, no noises, make my break fast, and have quiet moments while im in home...
Something really close from Everwood... i just LOVED that town and the way of life from the ppl who live there...
Anyway, hope you guys understand what i tried to say ;D
Any suggestions?

Here is a list of some cities that i got from a website ::
Spoiler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
Well, the United States is unique in the matter that there are so many different areas you could choose from based on what kind of climate you like. One region of the U.S. gets a lot of snow in the winter, while another region gets absolutely no snow. Some regions have more sunlight then others. Some areas get more rain then others.

Based on that list, it seems to me that you don't mind the idea of living in an area that gets a decent amount of snowfall, however before I could suggest anything I don't want to assume that's the case.

If you could give us an example of what type of weather you like, I'm sure we could absolutely give you some small town ideas according to what kind of climate(s) you'd wish to live in.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Well, the United States is unique in the matter that there are so many different areas you could choose from based on what kind of climate you like. One region of the U.S. gets a lot of snow in the winter, while another region gets absolutely no snow. Some regions have more sunlight then others. Some areas get more rain then others.

Based on that list, it seems to me that you don't mind the idea of living in an area that gets a decent amount of snowfall, however before I could suggest anything I don't want to assume that's the case.

If you could give us an example of what type of weather you like, I'm sure we could absolutely give you some small town ideas according to what kind of climate(s) you'd wish to live in.
Oh sorry i forgot about the weather...
Well i LOVE cold, and i HATE hot places =] some snow on the winter is not a bad idea...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I haven't really seen those shows so I'm not sure. Everwood was filmed around Salt Lake so maybe a small town in Northern Utah or Southern Idaho. Some parts of Montana and Wyoming are quite pretty and still fairly small. If you're wanting cooler many to most of those should work, but somewhere in Idaho or Montana might work better as they're further North.

If you want cowboy type stuff East Coast towns probably won't work as the cowboy thing is more Western mythos.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:44 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
You could also check out the small towns in Colorado

Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps something in eastern Massachusetts or Rhode Island might work, as there is a strong Portuguese diaspora in both areas. That could help you adjust culturally and both have the climate you want. Maybe in Massachusetts, places like Mansfield, Hyannis, Plymouth, Hopkinton and Ayers might work. In Rhode Island, places like Coventry, East Greenwich, Jamestown and Kingston might work.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Some ideas:

Colfax, WA
Snohomish, WA
Rockford, WA
Sandpoint, ID
Superior, MT
Butte, MT
Sheridan, WY
Buffalo, WY
Laramie, WY
Cheyenne, WY
Casper, WY
Leadville, CO
Holyoke, CO
Oberlin, KS
Colby, KS
Kimball, NE
Cedar City, UT
Ashland, OR
Grants Pass, OR

I would not recommend any of the Colorado ski towns for you, they will not give you the experience you are looking for (Steamboat Springs, Telluride from your list, in addition to Aspen, Vail, and others).

Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Some ideas:

Colfax, WA
Snohomish, WA
Rockford, WA
Sandpoint, ID
Superior, MT
Butte, MT
Sheridan, WY
Buffalo, WY
Laramie, WY
Cheyenne, WY
Casper, WY
Leadville, CO
Holyoke, CO
Oberlin, KS
Colby, KS
Kimball, NE
Cedar City, UT
Ashland, OR
Grants Pass, OR

I would not recommend any of the Colorado ski towns for you, they will not give you the experience you are looking for (Steamboat Springs, Telluride from your list, in addition to Aspen, Vail, and others).
Good list. I would add western South Dakota Towns of Lead, Spearfish, or Sturgis.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM

OMG ty all for so many suggestions... im searching for pics, videos and informations from all this suggestions...
Im going to u.s.a in a few months so im searching now for some towns to visit... so i can choose the best one for me =]

Thank u all ^^

Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
I'd also suggest Burlington, Vermont and Concord, New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.