U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 05:30 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,760,316 times

Advertisements

Thinking that having an IKEA makes a city cool is the ultimate definition of Narnian.
They sell crappy furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,931,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
using the term "narnian" to describe a city or effort that you deem less credible, valid or worthwhile than others sounds incredibly sophomoric and ridiculous. really, what makes the occupy movements in the midwest cities any different than those in the coastal cities? what, you have to live near wall street in order to be justifiably incensed with the establishment? what is so "narnian" about being pissed off?
If NYC had not done it - they would not have either. It's basically a feigned demonstration.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thinking that having an IKEA makes a city cool is the ultimate definition of Narnian.
lol, I can only imagine how much certain Narnian cities would brag if they got an Ikea.

Same effect as when a Narnian city gets Trader Joe's, or a second Trader Joe's.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

lol, I can only imagine how much certain Narnian cities would brag if they got an Ikea.

Who buys into that lifestyle stuff?
Seriously, that is Narnian.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 17,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Portland Oregon, that fits thay Discription perfectly.
Yep.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,287,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Quote:

Just like those Narnian folks in Brooklyn who got all excited when an Ikea opened in Red Hook back in 2008... Even to the extent of having the borough president speak at the opening, having huge festivities--and some even camped out days in advance to be among the first to enter the Ikea when it officially opened.

Narnian, right, whatever that means...

Red Hook Ikea Open for Brooklyn Business: Gothamist

Ikea docks in Red Hook • The Brooklyn Paper

Then again Brooklyn got excited when a Target opened in Fort Greene back in 2004...Enough so that hipster actress Chloe Sevigny showed up.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...7_29nets2.html

Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM

It's not the same kind of Narnian, although there is a similarity. The Narnian effect is significantly more powerful.

Seems like Target was more of a celebrity autograph/picture taking session. It's impossible for NYC to be truly Narnian. It's cities that are nothing like NYC, get an Ikea or Trader joe's, and now consider themselves more impressive than the next Narnian city. It's actually somewhat of a confusing concept, you'd have to have spent time in a Narnian city to really understand.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It's not the same kind of Narnian, although there is a similarity. The Narnian effect is significantly more powerful.

Seems like Target was more of a celebrity autograph/picture taking session. It's impossible for NYC to be truly Narnian. It's cities that are nothing like NYC, get an Ikea or Trader joe's, and now consider themselves more impressive than the next Narnian city. It's actually somewhat of a confusing concept, you'd have to have spent time in a Narnian city to really understand.
You know, I think there are whole regions that suffer from Narniaism, I do believe I live in one.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,147,908 times
Well done, style515. Props to you, sir.

Still at it after, what--six years now? One would think that a person would have better things to do than continuously troll internet forums, but hey--at least you're consistent. I'm just amazed that you're still attempting to do this after all these years. Isn't this what got you banned at skyscrapercity.com twice? A quick Google search of your aliases here and here brings up all of your old posts--many of which were pretty hilarious, might I add.

You have a weird obsession/complex with trying to belittle cities in the Midwest. You find reasons in your head to deride these places (typically for them attempting to become something better than what they are now), and then create these lame justifications like calling a city "narnian." What the hell does that even mean?

Meanwhile, when others point out how immature and ridiculous these threads are, you find convenient exceptions and asterisks that will fit the specific image that you're trying to convey. It's hard to take threads like this seriously because you spend so much time and effort trying to make these cities look bad that you simultaneously make yourself look like a jackass in the process.

Perhaps I'd have more respect for you if you just flat out said "St. Louis sucks" or "Columbus is lame" (not true for either city, just illustrating my point here). Give it up man--honestly. C-D is much more heavily trafficked and thus the flow is faster than other city discussion forums, so a lot of people here aren't hip to your jive yet--but I certainly am, and have been from day one.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,306,577 times
Ples forgoe my english wat do narnian is in yor cityscape? I do not now is am Nicarauguan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.