Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,923,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I see what you are trying to do.
Yeah, it was a little unfair what we did to Brett Favre, but hey, it's football.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tollfree View Post
It's the overriding theme that Indianapolis is some major world city, and it's evident on the forum.
No it isn't. And these threads you keep linking to desperately prove your point are laughable. So far, you have proven that Indianapolis:

1) wants to improve its mass transit
2) has grown in the past decade, and a thread exists to wonder if that will continue
3) acknowledged a Chicago sports corp

Through all of this, the only common theme is you making up this idea that Indianapolis thinks it is like Chicago and New York and Los Angeles. The only person I have ever seen claim that is you, in your desperate attempt to coin a phrase you made up. A phrase that, by the way, is not even the number one definition on Urban Dictionary, the site you referenced earlier in this thread. It is adorable that you are trying so very hard to make this thing stick.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 06:47 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,734,114 times
You understood 2 months ago. Indianapolis is just as Narnian as Omaha. Possibly more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I will admit, this thread left me scratching my head until I saw the Omaha stuff. Good gravy, that is some good stuff. I remember a couple of years ago the Omaha posters were going nuts on this forum. Someone would post a thread saying they were thinking of moving to New York City or the west coast and the first response virtually every time was "Well, have you thought about Omaha?" This was accompanied by a list or reasons someone should consider moving to Omaha over New York City. This included everything from the new Qwest Center to the fact that Omaha had a nice zoo. It was crazy.

I get it now.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,786,411 times
It is just that the vehemence with which you cling to your point seems progessively more assinine over time. Your idea may have a germ of truth to it but the aggresiveness with which you push it makes you seem like an obsessive nutcase. You really, really have an axe to grind, it is not normal and it is not healthy.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
It is just that the vehemence with which you cling to your point seems progessively more assinine over time. Your idea may have a germ of truth to it but the aggresiveness with which you push it makes you seem like an obsessive nutcase. You really, really have an axe to grind, it is not normal and it is not healthy.
You misspelled "asinine", lol.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM

People argue spelling when they can't argue points.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
People argue spelling when they can't argue points.
It's not worth explaining to you. I've said several times over and over, when you point out this "Narnian" thing, it almost always gets turned back on you. Usually someone who doesn't like the comparison, tries to play Freud. I even refer to it as "The Narnian Flip". It's very childish. Sort of like being told in grade school, "I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say, bounces off to me, and sticks to you". It's essentially the exact same thing...try and turn it on them. It's really that infuriating to Narnians.

For example, someone could say using a bunch of expletives "I hate this city and it's the worst place I've been to and smells terrible". Wouldn't garner much attention at all. That's really just one person's opinion. The Narnian comparison proves itself true like clockwork, all day, everyday.

It explains why if someone says anything along the lines of: "This city really thinks its such a major city when it isn't" you see people getting very mad in their respective city forums. In person, some Narnians will actually threaten you (it's happened to me before in a Narnian city). I've gotten some really nasty personal messages on here. Also a lot of messages praising that there's a term now for the civic fanaticism that runs rampant in the Narnian cities.

For the record, I don't consider Minneapolis to be Narnian. The liberalism definitely isn't feigned in the city of Minneapolis.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,923,899 times
Quote:
Usually someone who doesn't like the comparison, tries to play Freud.
Your mother.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 06:47 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
It's not worth explaining to you. I've said several times over and over, when you point out this "Narnian" thing, it almost always gets turned back on you. Usually someone who doesn't like the comparison, tries to play Freud. I even refer to it as "The Narnian Flip". It's very childish. Sort of like being told in grade school, "I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say, bounces off to me, and sticks to you". It's essentially the exact same thing...try and turn it on them. It's really that infuriating to Narnians.
Don't you realise that you have created a circular argument here? If someone disagrees with you they are narnian, you are the one who turns it back on them. I don't care what you consider Minneapolis. If you met me you would probably think I was one of the people who made it a non-narnian city. But I think you are clinging tightly to a foolishly rigid belief system, dismissing any piece of evidence that contradicts your preconceived notions. With this narnia thing you have created one of the most convoluted forms of trolling I have ever seen. There is a reason why you have been banned from all the respectable urbanism forums. So I am done arguing with you.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Narnians can't stand being told they are Narnian. You don't even have to use that particular terminology. You simply point out the city thinks it's bigger and more liberal than it is, and they start chanting.

I only came up with an umbrella term for this mentality that is accurate.

It's not hard to get banned from an urbanism forum. If you haven't noticed it always turns into a "Narnian" argument there among the mid-sized city...usually which has more of X-Y-Z marker of size. I've seen them argue who has more kosher deli shops (proves ethnic food and makes a city more like NY) per square mile. I pointed out how frivolous that was (Narnian as well), and unfortunately, that was the final straw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.