U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,822,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Portland Oregon, that fits thay Discription perfectly.
I'd agree on some level, except the liberalism probably isn't feigned there the way it is in true Narnian cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM

9,640 posts, read 6,660,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Portland Oregon, that fits thay Discription perfectly.
Most natives and longtime residents never pretended Portland was a cool destination--unfortunately the New York Times started writing articles about how cool and hip we were with our food scene and microbrews and what not and suddenly a lot of East Coast/Midwest transplants bought into the hype and decided to move out here to be cool.

Portland natives think it's the greatest town in the best state in the country, but then they get angry and wonder why all these people from other states would want to move to such a rainy, provincial town. That's the real Pac-NW attitude, "I love the Northwest, but why would anyone else?"

Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 AM

Another Narnian trait...city people exclusively avoiding the suburbs, to prove how "city" they are. They'll brag about avoiding "suburban shopping centers". You'll notice in the very big cities this does not happen.

I knew city people in Chicago who would drive into lake or dupage county if making a big purchase, (big screen TV, car, bedroom set, etc) because sales tax was cheaper.

I do not consider Chicago "Narnian" by the way. It's the mid-sized cities (and some larger) that typically are. My friend in Dallas said it's very common to go shopping at North Park in Plano, because they have the best stores. In the Narnian cities, the suburbs MUST be avoided, lol.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Now that a better definition has been established...is your city NARNIAN?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 PM

960 posts, read 615,102 times
I vote for the United States of America, period!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 17,926 times
Sometimes I think my city's a little Narnian, but I mostly tend to get that impression from suburbanites who think Chi is the end-all be-all. I like NY (amazing architecture), I like Philly and SF. I've never really thought my city was the best; to me, all the major cities in the US make it a pretty cool country. I just prefer Chicago because of my family, friends, and memories of my town.

Agreed with Indianapolis and, particularly, Austin. I think efficient transportation should be a factor in this, and I wouldn't give high marks to a place that requires driving 99% of the time.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM

816 posts, read 890,213 times
Well it makes sense. Simple math when you sometimes have multiple places to live...

If you want to stay in the U.S. and money is a non issue and want the ultimate urban city, NYC wins easily. If you want similar amenities, similar industries outside finance, but want nature weather, people go to L.A.

Anywhere else, you have to have some reasons for going, family, niche industries, lower COL, etc.

I see why people go there, but it doesn't make any cities less for not being NYC or LA.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 PM

904 posts, read 902,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well apparently you're the most Narnian poster on this thread. I think New York is easily the best city in the US, but there are plenty of people who have a Narnian view of the city. I don't care for Los Angeles, but understand why people like it...that said, plenty of people make it sound like some heaven while ignoring all the bad aspects of the city.

I think on this site, some Clevelanders have a Narnian view of their city.
Or maybe some people have a hard time believing that Cleveland has a lot to offer and contrary to the national opinion and assumption, there are a lot of people in Cleveland that are happy to be there and don't want to leave. Every one assumes every individual in Cleveland hates the city and is miserable and cry day in and day out, but it's not the case and people can't comprehend that. And then when someone says something about being happy in Cleveland, everyone assumes their lying.

By the way, calling a city "Narnian" sounds ridiculous.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,993,537 times
i hadn't looked at this thread until now, for unknown reasons. now i know why... omg...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 PM
rah

3,097 posts, read 4,980,080 times
One time i went in my closet and instead of clothes there was a magic land filled with talking animals. That was pretty Narnian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.