Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better area to see all 4 seasons?
Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland) 2 6.06%
Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, Ann Arbor) 9 27.27%
New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island) 16 48.48%
Appalachian Mid-Atlantic (Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina) 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 22,569 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody. My wife and I currently live in the Central San Joaquin valley of northern California. Overall life is pretty enjoyable here, but we're looking for a change of pace for a bit. I have been fortunate to have lived in several different places because of the Military, but my wife has only lived in this region. As both her parents are form Michigan, she has a strong desire to experience all four seasons, especially a definitive Autumn and a (somewhat) snowy winter. We are a young couple with no kids and like to be quite active. Because of the nature of her profession, my wife can take year long contracts all over the country.

Ideally we are looking for the following (in order of importance):

1. Four seasons (esp. Fall & Winter)... Lots of color change!

2. In a suburb (within 40 min drive/public transit) of a Med to Large City.

3. Decent Tax Rate & Personal freedom Laws (We're Libertarians)

4. Good nightlife (Bars, Comedy, Theatre) and fun outdoorsy stuff (kayak, snow ski, bike, ect.)

5. Manageable road conditions during/after bad storms

6. Within 2 hours of a Large Airport

7. Local Events & Festivals (ex: 4th of July Parade, Oktoberfest, Christmas Themed events)

8. Decent colleges (community or university)

I know that's a lot to ask for, but we're hoping to find a metropolitan area with at least some; especially #1. Thanks so much for any input you can provide!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM

92,165 posts, read 122,417,225 times
Actually, Syracuse would pretty fit almost all of those. While property tax rates are high, housing prices are low. Hence, the higher rate. It is the center of a region with one of the highest rates of college students in the country(around 6th). Plenty of colors during the fall, with apple orchards and vineyards close by. There are cultural festivals of all kinds as well. There are about 4 or 5 ski centers within 40 minutes of Syracuse. So, you could ski when you literally feel like it. You can't beat the snow clearing skills here, as we are use to it. There is nightlife in Armory Square, Hanover Square, Little Italy on the Northside and Westcott Street near Syracuse University. Hancock International Airport is in the Northern suburbs and is a quick ride from Syracuse.

Personally, I think you would like suburban villages like Fayetteville, Manlius, Liverpool, Baldwinsville or North Syracuse. You might even like some of the Eastside neighborhoods close to Syracuse University or LeMoyne College.

Here's some good information: New York's Creative Core

Syracuse Apartment Rentals | Syracuse NY Apartment Finder

cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source

List of annual events in Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Mountain Profile Pages

Downtown Syracuse

Neighborhoods
Category:Neighborhoods in Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Hancock International Airport

Site Down Page
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/
http://www.manliusvillage.org/
WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE
Village of North Syracuse, NY » Yesterday's Road to the Future
Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Village of Cazenovia

Welcome to Centro

Onondaga County, New York
Home » Onondaga County Parks

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,086,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Doc View Post
Hey everybody. My wife and I currently live in the Central San Joaquin valley of northern California. Overall life is pretty enjoyable here, but we're looking for a change of pace for a bit. I have been fortunate to have lived in several different places because of the Military, but my wife has only lived in this region. As both her parents are form Michigan, she has a strong desire to experience all four seasons, especially a definitive Autumn and a (somewhat) snowy winter. We are a young couple with no kids and like to be quite active. Because of the nature of her profession, my wife can take year long contracts all over the country.

4. Good nightlife (Bars, Comedy, Theatre) and fun outdoorsy stuff (kayak, snow ski, bike, ect.)

7. Local Events & Festivals (ex: 4th of July Parade, Oktoberfest, Christmas Themed events)

I know that's a lot to ask for, but we're hoping to find a metropolitan area with at least some; especially #1. Thanks so much for any input you can provide!!!
So you want to move to Chicago, eh?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,690,641 times
OH GOD, this again??? Terrible list. Trees in Atlanta are already changing.......

Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,073,646 times
I do not think many think of metro chicago as THE destination for fall foilage.
But we are really having a colorful fall and I enjoy every day in this beautiful weather and the leaves are just beautiful this year.

Personally I would love New Hampshire or someplace out East
Southern Illinois and Indiana , Ohio, Missouri are very beautiful for fall foilage.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,930,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Doc View Post

Seacoast of New Hampshire. Warmer than other parts, less snowfall, all the New England you can handle, Portsmouth is a great city with lots to do, Dover and Durham both small cities with lots of life, 45 minutes to Boston, probably the most liberty minded state in the nation, ocean, mountains, lakes...pretty much everything on your list. And of course you are a short drive to the breathtaking Maine coast (Think Pacific Northwest)

I live in CT, but have spent significant time all around New England and the Seacoast, is one of my favorite.

ETA some videos giving you an idea what Portsmouth is like.

Christmas in Downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire - YouTube

Pubs Of Portsmouth (Widescreen) - YouTube

Portsmouth, New Hampshire, April 20, 2010 - YouTube

That's pretty much the vibe of New England...very European in some respects, but distinctly colonial America.

Last edited by JViello; 10-07-2011 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM

26,884 posts, read 43,390,908 times
^^^ I agree, New Hampshire covers all of your criteria including a "libertarian lifestyle".

Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,803,582 times
Spokane, WA/Coeur d'Alene, ID.

Probably not much fall color in the area though -- but everything else.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,940,927 times
From a climate point of view all of your selections except maybe the Pacific N.W. give you what you need. In terms of a change, Appalachian is probably as far away from where you are right now. On the other hand, new England is very unique, and picturesque. Tough choice between those two.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM

92,165 posts, read 122,417,225 times
Here are some pictures you might like: Fall Foliage pictures of a park in Syracuse

Fall foliage Photos & Pictures | syracuse.com

and some more information: NY Apple Country Pick an Apple

Greek Peak - Ski Resort, Indoor Waterpark, Spa, Adventure Center
SONG MOUNTAIN RESORT
Toggenburg Mountain Winter Sports Center
Four Seasons Golf and Ski Center
Cazenovia Ski Club
Labrador Mountain

Official Travel and Tourism Information for Finger Lakes Wine Country
Home - Cayuga Wine Trail
Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Authority on Places to Stay, Where to Eat and Things to Do - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

Also, the 1000 Islands are within an hour and a half from Syracuse. Same with the Adirondacks.
Thousand Islands | 1000 islands | Tourism Info | Images Thousand Islands Region
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS
Official Boldt Castle Website – Alexandria Bay NY in the Heart of the 1000 Islands
1000 Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region
Official Website: Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce, Thousand Islands NY
The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!
Singer Castle on Dark Island - 1000 Islands, St. Lawrence River

Adirondacks, NY - Official ADK Region Tourism Site
The Adirondacks: Your Official Adirondack Mountains Guide To Hotels, Attractions, Real Estate, Vacation Guide & More!
Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.