Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

So many different people have so many different types of weather preferences!

Plenty of people that like 4 seasons weather, a lot of weather variety, and an annual even mix of sunshine, clouds, rain, and snow etc. would be fans of Chicago weather and enjoy experiencing it, including me.

However, the winters do drag on a bit too long though from October/November to April. I prefer winters that go only from Late December to Early February lol But I still rate Chicago weather a B- so a pretty positive grade.

Also, Chicago has so many great things about it that even the people that are not devoted fans to the weather there would still most likely end up enjoy being in Chicago. Chicago is one of the best places in the USA and people from all over the world move to Chicago, would like to move to Chicago, and enjoy living there.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
So many different people have so many different types of weather preferences!

Plenty of people that like 4 seasons weather, a lot of weather variety, and an annual even mix of sunshine, clouds, rain, and snow etc. would be fans of Chicago weather and enjoy experiencing it, including me.

However, the winters do drag on a bit too long though from October/November to April. I prefer winters that go only from Late December to Early February lol But I still rate Chicago weather a B- so a pretty positive grade.

Also, Chicago has so many great things about it that even the people that are not devoted fans to the weather there would still most likely end up enjoy being in Chicago. Chicago is one of the best places in the USA and people from all over the world move to Chicago, would like to move to Chicago, and enjoy living there.
yes most reasonable people don't make weather their ultimate and only choice when deciding where to live

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How crappily did you people maintain your cars that non-starting was a recurring problem in winter?

In my 22 years of driving up here, I've had exactly ONE day where my car wouldn't start due to cold, and it had to get all the way down to 27 below zero for that to happen.
Back in the late 90's I had a car that would have troubles starting two or three times a winter. It was my starter car, a piece of crap Sunbird.

Been here 10 years though, and I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who's car wouldn't start in the cold. Any car made in the past 15 years or so seems to have no troubles as far as I can tell.

Cars not starting in cold and rust on cars seems to be a pre-1990 thing these days. I also like when people ask in forums "So when do you all start putting your snow tires and chains on your cars". Haha. I think you'd probably be pulled over and ticketed right away if you tried putting CHAINS on your cars.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
I had a 74 Chevy Bel Air - That needed jumped if it dropped below 20

Miss that led sled

Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
yes most reasonable people don't make weather their ultimate and only choice when deciding where to live
Being on the Florida section frequently i see most peoples main reason for moving to Fla. is to escape the dreaded winter..Seems not only do they have to jump start their cars everyday but they also have to shovel snow from driveways and paths in temperatures near -20 everyday for 9 months.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-18-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Being on the Florida section frequently i see most peoples main reason for moving to Fla. is to escape the dreaded winter..Seems not only do they have to jump start their cars everyday but they also have to shovel snow from driveways and paths in temperatures near -20 everyday for 9 months.
yeah thats what i hear...and they have to walk to work uphill both ways in that mess

Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
walking 10 miles to school back in their day...

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Back in the late 90's I had a car that would have troubles starting two or three times a winter. It was my starter car, a piece of crap Sunbird.

Been here 10 years though, and I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who's car wouldn't start in the cold. Any car made in the past 15 years or so seems to have no troubles as far as I can tell.

Cars not starting in cold and rust on cars seems to be a pre-1990 thing these days. I also like when people ask in forums "So when do you all start putting your snow tires and chains on your cars". Haha. I think you'd probably be pulled over and ticketed right away if you tried putting CHAINS on your cars.
January of this year when there was snow on the ground for over a week here in Atlanta, the police cars actually equipped themselves with chains on their tires. Of course, we don't have enough snow removal/melting equipment to go around here in Georgia so there were PLENTY of slick spots around.

As for the summer versus winter debate... I'll take a cold winter up north any day over a sweltering hot day down south. Just my opinion. *Yes, I've experienced it to those wondering..it wasn't Chicago though, just Buffalo. *

Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
9 months?

Give me a break- you have the last part of December to deal with cold weather
January and February

March can be a cold month in the beginning but you will not get any real cold blasts.

The above clearly is not 9 months!

Not like its Yellow Knife

Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
9 months?

Give me a break- you have the last part of December to deal with cold weather
January and February

March can be a cold month in the beginning but you will not get any real cold blasts.

The above clearly is not 9 months!

Not like its Yellow Knife
Jambo was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.