Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This past summer, I posted a chart on the Pittsburgh forum comparing Pittsburgh weather observations to 12 other major cities. The other cities were, from west to east, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

The chart was last updated on September 4, but only Indianapolis has had any 90-degree days since then. The temperature reached 92 degrees there on September 13, so add one to the 90-degree tally for Indianapolis this past summer.

Whenever I'm not lazy, I'll do one more chart including precipitation totals and departures from normal for each city during the month of September. In the meantime, I hope some of you find the information useful.
Good data-
You may know the answer to this but I am wondering if Chicago (chicagoland)
feels hotter due to humidity levels?
I was surprised to see Indy had that many days above 90 degrees compared to Chicago.
The other factor did you compare Chicago at midway or at ohare

Chicagoland varies alot due to its geographic footprint
for example Lake county Illinois clear down to the Kankakee - Will county line

You would think this area would be very difficult to predict precip and temps due to its size.
Obviously i am not referring to population but land size.
The city alone is 22 miles from south to north.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,516,938 times
Pittsburgh and Chicago have actually had the most similar weather from my experience of living in the two places (and visiting Chicagoland dozens of times before living here). Chicago does get a few degrees warmer in the summer on occasion and, depending if you are closer or farther from the lake, a few degrees cooler in the winter (but nothing drastically noticeable). Days of sun seem to be pretty similar. Chicago's weather seems to have the tendency to change faster, in my experience. This could be due to the flatter geography. It seems to get warm in spring and cold in fall around the same time for both cities. I would compare Chicago's weather to Buffalo or Boston, but those cities seem to get a decent amount more snowfall.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,516,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTN100 View Post
Buffalo gets more snow than Chicago, but the overall winter temp. is quite similar.

Chicago, however, gets more snow than Boston, has Chicago has a lower average winter temp than Boston.

Generally speaking, cities on the Atlantic coast have much less snow and cold weather than inland areas.

This is why, for example, Long Island gets so much less snow than Northern NJ, even though they are a few miles apart, and then why Northern NJ gets so much less than Eastern PA, for example. Eastern PA is even further inland, so even colder and more snow.
As I said, Chicago does get a few degrees cooler..but Boston does get more snowfall and slightly stronger winds.

Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

As I stated before, its all in all quite similar

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Des Moines' weather is more similar to Kansas City than it is to Chicago. Yet, all 3 are in the midwest, correct. There is a big difference between Chicago and Kansas City weather. Des Moines would be in the middle, but leaning towards Kansas City.

There are also more sunny days in Des Moines than Chicago as well, and longer daytime sun by 30-45 minutes, which makes a difference in winter. Those things are noticeable.

Chicago averages 84 sunny days per year, Des Moines 105. Excluding partly/mostly cloudy days.

You've tried very hard to convince yourself that Chicago weather is the same as Iowa. Northern Iowa and Southern Iowa have different weather, Northern Iowa being similar to Chicago. I lived in Iowa City over college, and I also think Des Moines is slightly warmer than Iowa City, although they are the same latitude.

Des Moines is a city that tries to sell itself very hard with ridiculous "Narnian" claims quite often, but the weather is notably better than most of the upper midwest.
Weren't you already told three times that it's 25 minutes of more daylight in the evening, and that the amount of total sun actually differs by 2 minutes?? Only saying cause you state I keep trying to convince myself something, when It's obvious it's the exact opposite.

You keep stating things that aren't true as if you keep saying them it'll suddently become fact.

Iowa and Chicago do basically have the same weather. You're knit-picking stuff like Des Moines has winters that average 2 degrees colder than Chicago and Des Moines summers average 2 degrees warmer than Chicago. Chicago gets a few more inches of snow and Des Moines gets 2 more minutes of daylight.

How is this even worth bringing up and debating in the first place?? Who would ever be able to tell that average highs in Des Moines are 31 in January and they're 32 in Chicago? That Chicago averages 84 in July and Des Moines 86? That's silly.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmtiageCG View Post
There is truly no colder place on earth than a Chicago L train platform in Jaunary.

Once I finish grad school, I´m moving somewhere with better weather and a more promising job market.
More promising job market?
What COUNTRY are you moving to?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Ignore it sunny.
Just another troll.
Look at its posts.
Very few, new member, all posts bashing chicago.

Ignore.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Weren't you already told three times that it's 25 minutes of more daylight in the evening, and that the amount of total sun actually differs by 2 minutes?? Only saying cause you state I keep trying to convince myself something, when It's obvious it's the exact opposite.

You keep stating things that aren't true as if you keep saying them it'll suddently become fact.

Iowa and Chicago do basically have the same weather. You're knit-picking stuff like Des Moines has winters that average 2 degrees colder than Chicago and Des Moines summers average 2 degrees warmer than Chicago. Chicago gets a few more inches of snow and Des Moines gets 2 more minutes of daylight.

How is this even worth bringing up and debating in the first place?? Who would ever be able to tell that average highs in Des Moines are 31 in January and they're 32 in Chicago? That Chicago averages 84 in July and Des Moines 86? That's silly.
It's not 2 minutes longer. Extra sunlight in the morning is not the same, that's why I used the phrase "daytime sunlight".

Supposed to be 65 today in Des Moines, Chicago at 55. It's usually between 7-10 degrees warmer in Des Moines. Rarely is it ever colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.