U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times

Advertisements

It appears climate change is permanent, and we're in for another brutal winter. It's predicted the Midwest (surprise!) and Chicagoland in particular are going to be especially hard hit.
Chicago area expected to endure worst winter weather in nation -

Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,568,652 times
I'll trade you Texas summers for Chicago winters anyday...

Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
You beat me to it. I think Texas is high on the list for those wanting to bail out due to climate change, especially after this summer.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,073,712 times
Two whole degrees colder? That will make a huge difference in winter. More snow - remains to be seen - it's a prediction.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,427,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Thank you. I always wonder why people tend to make northern winters out to be so much worse than southern summers. If someone is happy and settled in Chicago, why in the world would they want to move just because of a few months of bad weather? Ditto someone in Texas who has endured this summer's drought. Aren't we tougher than this? Chicago is a city with a lot to offer, why would someone be put off by some snow and cold temperatures? I haven't seen any threads about people wanting to leave Dallas because of the heat. Just sayin'...

Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM

904 posts, read 1,635,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thank you. I always wonder why people tend to make northern winters out to be so much worse than southern summers. If someone is happy and settled in Chicago, why in the world would they want to move just because of a few months of bad weather? Ditto someone in Texas who has endured this summer's drought. Aren't we tougher than this? Chicago is a city with a lot to offer, why would someone be put off by some snow and cold temperatures? I haven't seen any threads about people wanting to leave Dallas because of the heat. Just sayin'...
You have the media to thank for that. In every one of their lists of "most miserable cities", they include harsh winters as making a city miserable. They always list the really hot cities in the summers as the most enjoyable. It's really quite absurd as a lot of people in the cold cities happen to enjoy the cold and snow and many people in the deep south aren't exactly happy with the extreme heat day after day in the summer. I don't see how winter weather automatically makes a city "miserable", but people are easily influenced by what they read and watch within media.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,427,733 times
Good point.

As a native Ohioan who has lived in Michigan (happily) for the past 14 years, I can think of several things that I actually appreciate about our cold, snowy winters.

--a break from yardwork and other outdoor, summertime chores

--a break from bugs

--a break from heat and humidity. We get some wiltingly hot and miserable days here in Michigan every summer, just enough to let me know that I would never survive in Florida year round.

--there is nothing quite like sitting in a cozy house with a cup of coffee and looking out at a beautiful snowfall and having nowhere to go

--snow days for the kids

--getting to wear pretty winter sweaters and coats and bundle up in fuzzy robes and pajamas

--seeing the snow glisten and sparkle on one of those blindingly sunny January days

I guess cold winters are like anything else in life--you can see it with a glass half full attitude or a glass half empty attitude.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM

3,698 posts, read 4,533,467 times
they said the exact same thing about Pittsburgh this winter. BS.

I'm so sick of the wussification of people when it comes to winter. Give me a freakin break...

Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,823,858 times
The source that the article uses is Accuweather. Accuweather are known to use extreme amounts of hype and are often wrong in their preditions...

Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
It's just a second La Nina year. We get the wetter, colder weather here in the Pacific Northwest and it ends up blowing into Chicago where it's normally colder anyway so there is more snow. From my sources, it's not supposed to be quite as bad as last year. Of course, I have yet to experience a truly accurate weather prediction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or