Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major U.S. city has the most racist population?
New York 14 7.78%
L.A. 19 10.56%
Chicago 60 33.33%
Houston 20 11.11%
Boston 46 25.56%
Miami 21 11.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 PM

567 posts, read 1,114,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
For better or mostly for worse, the people in south got used to living among blacks over a long time and the cities were more mixed because they needed them early on for labor. However, northern cities got their black population during the "great migration" when there was a large influx all at once. They tended to settle together in what are today the de facto segregated black neighborhoods. There was massive white flight too because they were not used to living in close proximity to black people, unlike the southerners. I'm speaking in huge generalizations so don't get offended but that is basically what happened.
Someone once told me: "In the North, they don't mind if blacks are equal, as long as they don't live nearby. In the South, they don't mind if blacks live nearby as long as they're not equal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Someone once told me: "In the North, they don't mind if blacks are equal, as long as they don't live nearby. In the South, they don't mind if blacks live nearby as long as they're not equal."
damn.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 AM

494 posts, read 800,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
actually Orland and San Francisco are the most intergrated cities in the U.S. I remember reading about it on a website.
meh.. The liberal gentrification of San Francisco has forced most of the blacks out. Ofcourse those that have remained are pretty much segregated. Takes big money to live there which many blacks etc don't have. Those that remain are in the small poor areas that remain via section 8 housing and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
I would say San Francisco is top 3. There is a huge amount of self-imposed segregation between whites and blacks, and also between gays and straights.

There is also extreme segregation based on income level.

Ironic when you think how liberal and tolerant 90% of residents consider themselves to be...
See the DC area for another classic example of that. Note the N.VA burbs vs MD burbs and then DC itself and gentrification. Most of the white liberals now reside in N.VA and are starting to overtake DC again via gentrification which is making DC unaffordable for low and even middle income people of which most are black in that city. They are being pushed out into the MD burbs especially PG county. You wont see many white liberals living in PG county MD. Detroit is another example as all the liberal union workers long ago abandoned the city itself for suburbia and many of them are now fighting what the republican governor is doing ( helping Detroit, RTW, etc ) as they wanna keep the status quo.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
Segregation and Racism are two different things.

Saint Louis is by far the most segregated city I've even seen.
As far as racism goes: Boston is pretty bad.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,275,904 times
I'd say Detroit is the worst in this country. Miami is right up there too.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM

669 posts, read 908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaniak View Post
Ummmmm....you do realize that you are talking about a SCHOOL bus. Not public transportation. That's what Ms.Parks was fighting for.
It doesn't happen just in school buses and it happens it lots of places. I know this kid from originally Bangladesh that came here from NYC and he told me that about all the people from his country that come here liked live around the same neighborhoods among other people from Bangladesh or southern Asia because they felt more comfortable that way.

So he is exactly right. A whole lot of segregation does happen by choice these days. Just because people live segregated doesn't exactly mean that they don't always get along. It's not like the old days anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.