U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which major U.S. city has the most racist population?
New York 13 7.43%
L.A. 17 9.71%
Chicago 60 34.29%
Houston 20 11.43%
Boston 44 25.14%
Miami 21 12.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM

9,184 posts, read 13,723,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this statement. I have lived in Michigan all my life and I believe the midwest is by far the most racist and most segregated region in America. Detroit, Chicago and Milwalkee are all very segregated and have alot of race issues. These cities have a long history of race incidents and even riots. The midwest in general has a long history of Klan activity and the existance of "sundown towns" . Here in Michigan metro Detroit is divided along racial lines. The city of Detroit is black and impoverished, and the suburbs are almost exclusivily white and middle to upper class. There is alot of hatred between the city and the suburbs, lots of blame on both sides for why things are the way they are today. Rural areas of Michigan, (which by far is most of the state) resent Detroit and its problems deeply, and really want nothing to do with the problems down there. In fact I would take it a step further and say those of us in rural Michigan are angry whith the negative attention Detroit has brought to our state, and with the wasted tax dollars that are associated with failed urban development programs and generational welfare in that dead city. Because of this political and social situation black people and white people really do not interact that much here, in fact in many areas they never see each other at all. Other midwest states have similar situations with thier large cities, and the way they are set up on racial lines.
The southern states in contrast have alot of integration, and both races have lived with each other for centuries. People think of the south and think of the unrest of the civil rights era, but for the most part black people and white people get along just fine there. Neighborhoods in general are much more mixed, and members of both races interact on a daily basis. In the midwest that is just not the case. Here in the midwest we are likely decades if not a century away from the level of integration the south has today.
I think a lot of this is centered in certain larger cities in the Midwest as opposed to just the 64 million people in the Midwest in general. Going around Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and area of Indiana I don't think you have serious racism problems like you do in the large industrial cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM

9,184 posts, read 13,723,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this statement. I have lived in Michigan all my life and I believe the midwest is by far the most racist and most segregated region in America. Detroit, Chicago and Milwalkee are all very segregated and have alot of race issues. These cities have a long history of race incidents and even riots. The midwest in general has a long history of Klan activity and the existance of "sundown towns" . Here in Michigan metro Detroit is divided along racial lines. The city of Detroit is black and impoverished, and the suburbs are almost exclusivily white and middle to upper class. There is alot of hatred between the city and the suburbs, lots of blame on both sides for why things are the way they are today. Rural areas of Michigan, (which by far is most of the state) resent Detroit and its problems deeply, and really want nothing to do with the problems down there. In fact I would take it a step further and say those of us in rural Michigan are angry whith the negative attention Detroit has brought to our state, and with the wasted tax dollars that are associated with failed urban development programs and generational welfare in that dead city. Because of this political and social situation black people and white people really do not interact that much here, in fact in many areas they never see each other at all. Other midwest states have similar situations with thier large cities, and the way they are set up on racial lines.
The southern states in contrast have alot of integration, and both races have lived with each other for centuries. People think of the south and think of the unrest of the civil rights era, but for the most part black people and white people get along just fine there. Neighborhoods in general are much more mixed, and members of both races interact on a daily basis. In the midwest that is just not the case. Here in the midwest we are likely decades if not a century away from the level of integration the south has today.
I think a lot of this is centered in certain larger cities in the Midwest as opposed to just the 64 million people in the Midwest in general. Going around Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and area of Indiana I don't think you have serious racism problems like you do in the large industrial cities.

I've noticed in Chicago that above all the racism really isn't about skin color, it's about a perceived crime issue. Crime in Chicago is extremely segregated, and people start associating the two as being the same. There are as many white people in the city as black people, but white people make up around 4% of the murder victims, with black people making up almost 80%.

I know a lot of people who have race issues, but it's never really about skin color, no one thinks other races are unworthy, they're just associating crime related issues. I have plenty of black friends, so I don't need the whole "black people aren't all criminals!!". Of course they aren't, that's not what I'm saying. A vast majority aren't.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM

8,289 posts, read 7,345,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Miami.

I've never seen so much ethnic pigeonholing in my entire life, along the lines of "what are you?". My ex wife from there suffered so much racism from mostly black people and from white Cubans. Miami is a segregated city, where people generally don't mix. It's not official and it's not like segregation in other cities, but it's there and even white Americans fall victim to it. Many jobs require you to be bilingual (Spanish), which in itself, is somewhat discriminatory for those who are not fluent in Spanish. There are also virtually no middle class black people in Miami and white Cubans have a reputation for being racist (though not all are, obviously).
Really? Miami is really no different when it comes to racism except the tables are turned! Many white Americans are unnerved that the political and business structure of Miami is not run by them but by hispanics.
Are you aware that even South Americans talk bad about each other?

You want to hear something funnier? I can't tell you how many times I've heard a Haitian friend badmouth a African American calling them "ghetto" and "uneducated" and how they don't take advantage of the many opportunities offered in the US.

As for needing to be bilingual well Miami is a international city and most jobs are discriminatory. They have the right to ask their employees to be able to speak more than one language if it is so required.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM

1,469 posts, read 788,558 times
Depends on your race.

if you're an anglo caucasian (cracker) then Miami will be the most racist city for you, if not the most racist city over-all. People in Miami are UNBELIEVABLE in their racism. The #1 thing they want to know about a person is what ethnicity they are and this is the #1 main trait that they judge people by. They want to know what ethnicity you are as soon as they meet you and are quick to announce their heritage, as if it matters. It's really strange.

If you're black, then my guess would be Boston.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM

6,920 posts, read 6,926,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Which areas of Indiana would those be? Indiana is arguably the most segregated state in the Midwest.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,550,337 times
metro detroit is less segregated than i remember it. it's still the worst place i've been to for segregation. crossing certain streets can see you from an almost ALL black neighborhood to an almost ALL white one.

but I don't consider detroit a major city anymore so the award goes to chicago. NYC is pretty bad too. Miami houston and los angeles aren't really bad enough to be on this poll.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,161,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Depends on your race.

if you're an anglo caucasian (cracker) then Miami will be the most racist city for you, if not the most racist city over-all. People in Miami are UNBELIEVABLE in their racism. The #1 thing they want to know about a person is what ethnicity they are and this is the #1 main trait that they judge people by. They want to know what ethnicity you are as soon as they meet you and are quick to announce their heritage, as if it matters. It's really strange.

If you're black, then my guess would be Boston.
Good post. I do not know about Miami (never lived there) but I do agree with you that alot depends on your race, or religion, ethnicity etc.

As for cities, I am really not sure and I think this racial city thing is based too much sterotypes and too many people are jumping on a anti-Chicago or anti-Boston bandwagon. So I am not voting on this one.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,073,099 times
Segregated and racist aren't necessarily the same thing.

My experiences with NYC is that yes, most of it is very segregated but at the same time most people still tolerate each other and it hasn't gotten to the point where there is an extreme amount of racism.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-06-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM

163 posts, read 55,929 times
Baltimore

Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,337,123 times
Definitely Chicago, but NY is no slouch here either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.