Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major U.S. city has the most racist population?
New York 14 7.78%
L.A. 19 10.56%
Chicago 60 33.33%
Houston 20 11.11%
Boston 46 25.56%
Miami 21 11.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 AM

218 posts, read 837,235 times

Advertisements

The only place I've seen outright blatant racism is (repeatedly, when I lived in) Philadelphia. I'll never forget the time I saw a woman walk out of a convenience store, where she had apparently had trouble understanding the guy who worked at the counter's accent, and she screamed "I told that POS to go back to his own country, MF." Of course I can't type what she really said with City Data's censoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Was in Boyz in the Hood when the gang went into the liquor store and shot the Korean owners? Or another gang-related movie.
Menace to Society.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised that Houston only has 4 votes. Not because I think Houston is a racist or segregated city, but the fact this is city data and southern cities tend to always be labeled backwards or racist.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 84,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Menace to Society.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised that Houston only has 4 votes. Not because I think Houston is a racist or segregated city, but the fact this is city data and southern cities tend to always be labeled backwards or racist.
On that note, there are plenty of people who migrate to Chicago from the south, because, well...like attracts like. And there are a lot of urban hillbillies and closeminded or more narrowminded people in the south and the Midwest. The west coast is most racially tolerant, but so many minorities cannot afford to live there

Old 10-11-2011, 12:01 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,734,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Menace to Society.

Houston seemed racially integrated, but that could also have to do with the lack of zoning. In other words, it's going to appear that way by default.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Houston seemed racially integrated, but that could also have to do with the lack of zoning. In other words, it's going to appear that way by default.

Actually lack of zoning can only be used for certain parts; many areas that have zoning are integrated as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,987,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obama4mayor View Post
On that note, there are plenty of people who migrate to Chicago from the south, because, well...like attracts like. And there are a lot of urban hillbillies and closeminded or more narrowminded people in the south and the Midwest. The west coast is most racially tolerant, but so many minorities cannot afford to live there
I don't know if it's really fair to say that there are more narrow minded people in the south or midwest than really anywhere else in this country, but it is a common myth. My brother, from Seattle, thinks all Texans are uneducated and backwards. That being said, I also disagree with the idea of West Coasters thinking they're more racially tolerant when I've seen plenty of examples to the contrary.

OK -- I still think this is a good thread but noticed Dallas wasn't listed. I can't speak for Houston b/c I've not lived there. I guess being a bit of a loner, I don't even know if I can speak for all of Dallas, but here in my office (only here for 6 months), I've witnessed more racism than I think I ever have. At first, I really thought the white employees were the biggest offenders, but shortly thereafter, I came to realize that the blacks are just as guilty. It's disgusting. I truly do not understand how we can all live in the same city, share many of the same experiences (not all obviously) and still hate so much. Nauseating.

I try to keep to myself, be courteous to everyone and not get involved with the mess. Truly, I am shocked by some of the things I've heard from both camps. We have one old southern woman (who should probably retire) who refers to blacks as "them". OMG. But she gets away with it - that may not seem bad, but its a constant reminder of how she thinks she's different and better!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
OK -- I still think this is a good thread but noticed Dallas wasn't listed. I can't speak for Houston b/c I've not lived there. I guess being a bit of a loner, I don't even know if I can speak for all of Dallas, but here in my office (only here for 6 months), I've witnessed more racism than I think I ever have. At first, I really thought the white employees were the biggest offenders, but shortly thereafter, I came to realize that the blacks are just as guilty. It's disgusting. I truly do not understand how we can all live in the same city, share many of the same experiences (not all obviously) and still hate so much. Nauseating.
Race relations between blacks and whites in the city of Dallas on a city government level are horrible to put it nicely. I havent seen to much of it on a personal level and I do work with both black and white, but Im not surprised when people talk about it simply because city politics are so racial in Dallas. Its ironic because all the time black and white were fighting, Hispanics crept in quietly and became half the city.

Ive always thought the city was suposed to be the open and tolerant portion of the area and the burbs were supposed to be closed minded. In Dallas, I really question whether that is true. People actually seem to get along better in the suburbs than they do in the city. But come to think of it, in my years in LA and Chicago, they seemed to play that way. Many burbs were more integrated than the cities.

All in all, I really think that Dallas is walking in LA's footsteps. Things are reaching a boiling point right now. For example, if John Wiley Price is arrested for corruption, I fully expect this to be Dallas' Rodney King. I do hope Im wrong. But eventually, it will get to the point that it has to get better, just like LA.

Chicago was different. My experiance in Chicago was that people simply wanted to be with the own and didnt hold it against others who felt that way. I used to talk integration with some friends up there and I would get responses like "Im not going to go live in Pilsen just to be integrated" or "I want to be around people I have things in common with". I never detected much animosity.

Just my opinion and observations.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,987,106 times
I agree with you, justme02. That John Wiley Price things just tears me up. I truly do not like this guy...I've tried to see his perspective but he muddles whatever message he may have had initially and turns it into a racial mess. And with all the charges coming his way, with no reasonable explanations (not yet anyway), I don't see that it will be favorable for him. GOOD. But, I surely don't want to see our city ripped apart like the Rodney King thing. When it gets that bad, people rarely can see all sides and the separation gets wider. Yowza!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,782,951 times
The real question Should be "why" such racial divides. Some say it's because they were raised to believe such a way. My rebutal "you were raised to believe in Santa,a Toothfairy,and the Easter bunny". I understand being bias to a degree simply like cheering on a favorite team or your city. Downright Racism is ugly and generally propetuated by all parties envovled. Milwaukee most divided city and Pennsylvania within top five states.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM

932 posts, read 1,172,262 times
Miami.

I've never seen so much ethnic pigeonholing in my entire life, along the lines of "what are you?". My ex wife from there suffered so much racism from mostly black people and from white Cubans. Miami is a segregated city, where people generally don't mix. It's not official and it's not like segregation in other cities, but it's there and even white Americans fall victim to it. Many jobs require you to be bilingual (Spanish), which in itself, is somewhat discriminatory for those who are not fluent in Spanish. There are also virtually no middle class black people in Miami and white Cubans have a reputation for being racist (though not all are, obviously).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.