Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new so I'm sorry if this not the proper place to post this.

I was born in Texas, my family moved over seas, moved back to Texas, moved over seas again, and now I'm back in Texas for a third time and I really want to get out. I've lived in Houston and Dallas, and been to several other areas of Texas to visit, as well as other southern states. I'm in Dallas right now going to college because I thought I would like being close to home, but I plan on transferring next year. There is nothing wring with Texas and overall the people are really nice, but for some reason I really don't like living here or the other souther states (except Colorado). I was thinking about going to a larger city and wanted opinions on where to go. I like more condensed large cities, such as where you can walk around. I also like good public transportation because I can't drive, it's cheaper, and I just prefer taking it anyways. I lived in Bangkok for 4 years and loved it, even though it was dirty. Other cities that I have spent a great deal of time in and loved have been Sydney, London, and Singapore.

Any advice would be great thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Moved from the Dallas Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM

204 posts, read 336,085 times
Well, if you like large, dense cities, then nothing in the south is going to really interest you. You're gonna have to go north.

NYC, Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago etc. (I'll throw in San Francisco too). Those are some of the densest cities in the country. Toronto if you want to move to Canada.

I lived in southeast D.C. for two years and didn't have a vehicle for most of the time. Decent metro system, bus system, cabs available everywhere. Very walkable.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Add Portland and Seattle to your list. Portland has the better rail system and mass transit. Seattle has the better college options. But both are much denser cities than anything in Texas and much more oriented towards pedestrian and bike transportation.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Don't sleep on Philadelphia, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or even Buffalo. All have rail, buses and walkable neighborhoods with good colleges and nightlife.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmthfg View Post
I like more condensed large cities, such as where you can walk around. I also like good public transportation because I can't drive, it's cheaper, and I just prefer taking it anyways. I lived in Bangkok for 4 years and loved it, even though it was dirty. Other cities that I have spent a great deal of time in and loved have been Sydney, London, and Singapore.

Any advice would be great thanks!
New York City, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia.

Those are your BEST options. So narrow down your criteria more, or take your pick.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-13-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
After 26 years in Houston, we were looking for the same thing as you so set out on a 5 year journey to determine where we wanted to live. We explored Portland (OR and ME), Seattle, SF, Boston, Providence, NYC, Philly and Baltimore. In January of this year, we moved to Philly: very walkable (we sold one car and use the other just once a week when I drive to a volunteer activity; other than that, walk for all errands and entertainment), good cost of living, decent public transportation, great amenities, vibrant street scene, incredible location for easy get-aways, friendly people, mercifully livable summer climate, liberal populace.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia.

Those are your BEST options. So narrow down your criteria more, or take your pick.
These aren't the only options and unfortunately many think they are while overlooking some decent options with much lower costs of living. Here are some examples with good transit systems and walkable urban cores:

Cleveland
http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf (broken link)

Denver
http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

Salt Lake City
http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/Aug20...engerflyer.pdf

Portland
TriMet: Rail System Map (MAX, WES and Streetcar)

Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM

815 posts, read 1,856,863 times
I used to think otherwise, but I would add Los Angeles into the options. While not in the league of the others, I'd say it's better than Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Denver, SLC, Portland and Seattle people are throwing out. I had heard that Austin was walkable and in Texas, but I have no experience there. Colorado is not a southern state.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 10-13-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
These aren't the only options and unfortunately many think they are while overlooking some decent options with much lower costs of living. Here are some examples with good transit systems and walkable urban cores:

Cleveland
http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf (broken link)

Denver
http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

Salt Lake City
http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/Aug20...engerflyer.pdf

Portland
TriMet: Rail System Map (MAX, WES and Streetcar)
I can appreciate the options these and other cities have. However, OP gave us specific examples of the kind of cities OP is referring to (Bangkok, Sydney, London, Singapore). Based on these examples, I would still stick with the cities I suggested as being the closest comparisons in terms of what OP is looking for.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-13-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
To be fair, he didn't say that he was looking for cities just like that. I would think a condensed city that is walkable and of a pretty big size would work. Ultimately, the OP will rightly divide between the cities suggested on this thread.

For the OP, is there anything else you are looking for in a city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.