Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better set of cities?
I-5 cities (Seattle, Portland, SFC/Oakland, LA, SD 70 27.67%
I-95 cities (Boston, NYC, Philly, Bmore, DC, Miami) 183 72.33%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM

52 posts, read 130,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The topography on I-95 looks the same from Maine to Maryland, and even into Virginia it doesn't have the drastic change you get driving out West. I-95 in the Carolinas and Florida you just see pine trees and billboards.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,601,687 times
Quote:
it doesn't have the drastic change you get driving out West. I-95 in the Carolinas and Florida you just see pine trees and billboards.
Absolutely not true. Starting out in Maine on I-95, there are evergreen trees, lots of hills in the northeast, in the mid-atlantic states even more variety of trees and rolling landcape, through S. Carolina over large Lake Santee, and into Florida with lots of palm trees and scenic views.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Absolutely not true. Starting out in Maine on I-95, there are evergreen trees, and Buffs by the sea, lots of hills in the northeast, in the mid-atlantic states even more variety of trees and rolling landcape, through S. Carolina over large Lake Santee, and into Florida with lots of palm trees and scenic views.
for the coastal section anyway, on the Fordjes (sp.)

Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Absolutely not true. Starting out in Maine on I-95, there are evergreen trees, lots of hills in the northeast, in the mid-atlantic states even more variety of trees and rolling landcape, through S. Carolina over large Lake Santee, and into Florida with lots of palm trees and scenic views.
OK, so there is some variable vegetation change from North to South on I-95, I'll give you that. But the changes on I-95 are a lot more subtle. For terrain and landscapes it is still a meager comparison to the transitions you see going from North to South along the West Coast on I-5. Maine is more pines, not so much Evergreen. Washington and Oregon are more aptly "Evergreen" with the cedars and hemlocks. There is a much more discernable and drastic difference between the more rugged and mountainous terrain of semi arid Southern Oregon and the green Willamette Valley, and Evergreen forested hills around Portland along with the snowcapped volcanic peaks on the horizon (in just one state) than there is between the rolling terrain of Massachusetts and Virginia. South Carolina to Northern Florida you get the same mix of flat land and wetlands mixed with palmettos and pine trees. Some of it is scenic, but not as impressive as I-5.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-15-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
As someone who has driven almost the entire length of I-95 twice in the last few months, I vote I95, by a freakin' landslide! Sorry, but I-95 offers by far the most diversity, driving from the tropical metropolis of Miami, through Florida, SE Georgia, the Carolinas, mid Atlantic states, then through some of the greatest cities in the US: DC, Philly, NY and Boston, before winding down in NH and Maine, terminating in Canada. The west coast is certainly beautiful from a scenery perspective, but I-5 cannot match the cultural, climatic and urban diversity that you'd pass on I-95. I-5 is more scenic though, but you don't have to stray too far from I-95 to find scenery.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
OK, so there is some variable vegetation change from North to South on I-95, I'll give you that. But the changes on I-95 are a lot more subtle. For terrain and landscapes it is still a meager comparison to the transitions you see going from North to South along the West Coast on I-5. Maine is more pines, not so much Evergreen. Washington and Oregon are more aptly "Evergreen" with the cedars and hemlocks. There is a much more discernable and drastic difference between the more rugged and mountainous terrain of semi arid Southern Oregon and the green Willamette Valley, and Evergreen forested hills around Portland along with the snowcapped volcanic peaks on the horizon (in just one state) than there is between the rolling terrain of Massachusetts and Virginia. South Carolina to Northern Florida you get the same mix of flat land and wetlands mixed with palmettos and pine trees. Some of it is scenic, but not as impressive as I-5.
I agree, scenery wise, I-5 is a prettier ride. I-95 is most scenic as it passes through Connecticut, New Hampshire and Maine, IMO. Prior to that, you really have to get off to find the scenery, otherwise it's mostly just forest, although (obviously) the flora changes the further north you go, becoming more and more evergreen as you travel north, from the sub-tropics of Florida.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Both routes offer scenery, but I-5 along the west coast has more variety. Drive both routes, and then report back. (I will agree that I-5 has many "dead" areas, but that does not mean the route is void of scenery or interest). Cities are more frequent on I-95, but I'm not sure how that computes in this thread.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Both routes offer scenery, but I-5 along the west coast has more variety. Drive both routes, and then report back. (I will agree that I-5 has many "dead" areas, but that does not mean the route is void of scenery or interest. Cities are more frequent on I-95, but I'm not sure how that computes in this thread.)

Isn't the question in the OP about cities?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Isn't the question in the OP about cities?
My understanding is the OP was talking about the corridor, not specific cities. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
My understanding is the OP was talking about the corridor, not specific cities. Correct me if I am wrong.

the question is:

"Better set of cities?"

odd thing is sans Chicago this inlcudes all of my favorites (cities) in the country if you include both highways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.