Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 PM

8 posts, read 10,416 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this question was asked before but here goes: I am a city person, have previously lived in London, now living in Chicago. I LOVE Chicago but I hate the weather here. We had about 2 months of nice weather this year.
Is there a city in the USA with a feel like a city with a nice weather? I was thinking Houston? I love all about Chicago except the weather (and taxes) and I am thinking if I can replace Chicago with anything more south that would have the same appeal. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!! Diana, an European transplant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
By city do you mean dense? Houston is horrifically hot and humid in the summer.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM

By city I mean that you can actually walk somewhere as opposite to driving everywhere. It might mean dense. It also means well developed infrastructure like good public transport, little groceries, parks, libraries within walking distance.It might mean having a subway or other fast way to move around the city. I guess it means the exact opposite of suburbs, where everything is far away and spread out. Btw. I love hot and humid & hate subzero temps.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana69 View Post
By city I mean that you can actually walk somewhere as opposite to driving everywhere. It might mean dense. It also means well developed infrastructure like good public transport, little groceries, parks, libraries within walking distance.It might mean having a subway or other fast way to move around the city. I guess it means the exact opposite of suburbs, where everything is far away and spread out. Btw. I love hot and humid & hate subzero temps.
Washington, D.C. fits your description to a T (all of your points). It has a very balanced 4-season weather, including hot and humid summers.

Other cities to consider are Philadelphia and San Francisco. However, San Francisco never gets hot and humid. It is cool and brisk year-round. Boston would be another city to look into. However, it gets very cold in the winter.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-13-2011 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Really ? Thank you, I will look at those cities! Somehow I didn't think the Washington D.C. would have a better weather than Chicago. I realize it is silly to reduce your hometown expectations to a weather but I was also thinking what is the point of being miserable most of the year just because the weather is awful? I know people have more serious problems and I'm definitely not complaining, just considering other options ....I do love Chicago and feel very schizophrenic about leaving it....

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM

There are neighborhoods in Houston where you can walk but you will likely need a car and need to drive to work or to the grocery store unless you ride the bus, which runs very frequent. In Houston these tend to be the expensive neighborhoods like Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Herman Park, etc. Housing stock is much different as well, almost no older buildings/apartments in the city compared to what you're probably used to in Chicago and London.

In New Orleans you don't need a car at all if you work and live close enough. Many things to walk to, a new Costo is opening in Mid-City. You can live like you want without having the price of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city.

Possibly Seattle and D.C. as well.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Perhaps older parts of major Southern cities. Miami is actually a pretty dense city. New Orleans is another Southern city that is pretty dense.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM

We do have a car and use it for groceries both in London and Chicago, I don't mind using a car when necessary like buying groceries, especially when you have a child. I just like the option of walking too, walking is my cardio ...
Regarding old buildings, they are nice to look at but we actually lived in pretty new constructions, modern and comfortable. Yes, you can find an apartment made out of rebuilt church building in London, but can you imagine living there?? stony walls, cold and moldy, etc...
Here in Chicago, we live in a duplex apartment, finished in 2009, nice neighborhood, good schools around (we have a 4 year old) But our recent property tax bill was over $10k for 2011...nuts!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,984 times
Most Walkable Cities in the United States on Walk Score - New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Washington D.C.

San Francisco, if you can afford it.

DC definitely has better weather than Chicago if your main complaint is the cold, although I wouldn't say it's significantly sunnier...

Miami is also a decent choice.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana69 View Post
We do have a car and use it for groceries both in London and Chicago, I don't mind using a car when necessary like buying groceries, especially when you have a child. I just like the option of walking too, walking is my cardio ...
Regarding old buildings, they are nice to look at but we actually lived in pretty new constructions, modern and comfortable. Yes, you can find an apartment made out of rebuilt church building in London, but can you imagine living there?? stony walls, cold and moldy, etc...
Here in Chicago, we live in a duplex apartment, finished in 2009, nice neighborhood, good schools around (we have a 4 year old) But our recent property tax bill was over $10k for 2011...nuts!
Ah well you can find that in Houston. There are neighborhoods where you can do that, although I don't think there are a plethora of amenities within walking distance in most. I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.