U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 04:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,634 times

Advertisements

Ciao everyone!

I'm an Italian computer engineer and web entrepreneur, and i want expand my company in the USA and administrate it from there.
I would to invest a good amount of money and hire people.
I'm married with no child at the moment, i'm 27.

I need a suggestion from you local US people because i'm becoming crazy in this months of researches and don't know if the info i have are correct.
Sorry if the post may be long.

I'm searching a city to immigrate in USA that have some prerequisites, but first i have to write something on my actual position in order to let you understand what in'm searching for:

Iin Italy people are very friendly and there are no guns/weapons, so criminals too have none in 95% of cases, but even if they have one, they will never shot you because they know that you cannot shot them, so they at most scare you and stop.

99% of people in Europe and especially in Italy have never seen a fire weapon in their whole life. So violent and dangerous crime is quite NON existent, and in 90% cities you can go out even at 3 AM with child without much worries with very rare exceptions.

We have crimes like auto theft or very minimal theft, no aggravated assault, rapes are very very rare and murders are absolutely rare and at 99,99% only between mafia criminals, people are not touched by mafia, that operate in drug commerce.

In major cities there are no gangs at all, just two or three minor cells of "imported" USA or South american gangs.

The reason i want to immigrate in USA is to improve my business because USA is a country more entrpreneur oriented/friendly, and eventually improve my quality of life.
In Italy water and food are the best in the world, there is no crime but taxes are high and cost of living is very high. Politicians are absolutely NO business oriented and is very difficult to start a company here or to find a job. Boys live with parents until 35+ years because there are few good jobs and only in city like Rome or Milan.

Taxes are high, an avarage of about 38% on gross, but we have totally free healtcare, and property taxes are about 0,2% of the home value/year and NO taxes are requested for first family home. Thanks to this there are quite no homeless in the streets, an if there are, are people wihout jobs, but always with a "roof over the head". If you do not work or lose your job, you have always free healtcare and a home, and pay zero taxes.
If you want a health insurance you can have it and going to private hospitals or clinics.

No jail if you do not pay taxes but only civil felony ( no penal crime, only money penalty of about 200% of what you've not payed ).

Climate is very good, like Florida one, but NO tornadoes, NO hurricanes.

Now, i've read somethings about USA during years, some of which i touched with hands during my trips ( i was on holiday 4 times in NY, San Francisco, Tampa and Los Angeles ), but with the eye of a visitor all is different, i want know if these things are true or not and have some opinions from local Americans:

1) you have a lot of homeless because property taxes are 1.5 to 3% value of the home, and if you lose your job for 1 year the Government sell your house to pay taxes, is that true?

2) Health care insurances are like 1k $ month, and no cover all illnesses / cases. You have a deductible, an average of 1000k that you have to pay before insurance company pay your bills, so in addiction to the insurance fee you need to pay deductible if you got some illness and pay drugs too.
If you have an huge car accident or cancer, you need to sell your house to pay bills because healtcare is amazingly expensive. A surgery or a childbirth with Caesarean section can cost over15k dollars, and self- employed entrepreneurs are not covered on this ( In Europe it's all free even if you do not work )

3) You have a high number of violent crimes, rapes, robberies, ad murders because you are all armed, peoples and criminals, so it's time of "who shot the other first". In my opinion this is absurd and so medieval.

4) some state like Texas, Tennessee and Louisiana ( Bible Belt) are full of bigot people, religious fanatics and does not teach science in schools, is true? In Europe, even in Italy where we have the Vatican and the Pope, we teach two languages and math / science for Default. Religion subject is optional and no one is forced to believe in nothing.
For example Texas have the motto "in God we trust", and the Government enforces the belief in Jesus and God, being racist with atheists and other religion people. Also Texas have no respects for animals rights and pets, is true?

5) USA have low taxes than Europe but considering property taxes, house insurance, healtcare insurance and high community fees the taxes are the same if not much higher with the difference that you "cannot stop working"

I'm searching for a USA city that have friendly people, low crime, is "child friendly" and good to raise a family, with good climate, good schools, parks, business friendly, and with some walkable zones, with not amazing prizes for the houses.

During my research i found those cities that can match my case:

-Austin TX (no personal income taxes but crazy property taxes)
-Seattle WA (no personal income taxes)
-New York NY
-Boston MC
-Sunnyvale CA
-Atlanta GA
-Portland OR

-New York have very expensive houses and the quality of life is not too good outside Manhattan

-Austin terrify me for the Texas "rumors" of violence, bigotry, armed people, Mexicans drug dealing, and violent police that i don't know if are true. Also, the Governor Rick Perry is rumored to be a fanatic religious that believe in creationism (!!!) and at the same time love death penalty, an absurd contradiction.

A small detail is that in Italy when a policeman stop you in the car, you can go out of the car immediatly and speak with the officer without problems or guns pointed at you.

-Seattle have bad climate, Boston high home prices, and California is business unfrieldly and with hight taxes.

Can you suggest me other cities tech oriented?
What's your opinion?

Sorry for the long post but i had to explain and with words is not simple.
I reported in this post some rumors, i want to know how much is true and what not, i do not want offend anyone.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Last edited by Badont; 10-15-2011 at 04:16 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,963,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badont View Post
Ciao everyone!

1) you have a lot of homeless because property taxes are 1.5 to 3% value of the home, and if you lose your job for 1 year the Government sell your house to pay taxes, is that true?

Mostly a misconception. Property taxes vary by community - the percentages would be right in some cases, too high or too low in others. But the government doesn't step in after a year of unemployment to sell your house. If you do not pay taxes, eventually the local government may seize the house to sell at a sheriff's sale, but it's more likely to lose a house for not paying the mortgage than not paying taxes. Unemployment insurance can hep people stay current on taxes.

2) Health care insurances are like 1k $ month, and no cover all illnesses / cases. You have a deductible, an average of 1000k that you have to pay before insurance company pay your bills, so in addiction to the insurance fee you need to pay deductible if you got some illness and pay drugs too.
If you have an huge car accident or cancer, you need to sell your house to pay bills because healtcare is amazingly expensive. A surgery or a childbirth with Caesarean section can cost over15k dollars, and self- employed entrepreneurs are not covered on this ( In Europe it's all free even if you do not work )

This varies. I pay nothing for insurance (except co-pays) through my employer, my wife pays about $100 a month. Others who don't have employers who provide this benefit may pay that amount, but the cost and deductibles vary widely.

3) You have a high number of violent crimes, rapes, robberies, ad murders because you are all armed, peoples and criminals, so it's time of "who shot the other first". In my opinion this is absurd and so medieval.

Ridiculous. Yes, there are crimes, and yes, some people have guns, but to say we are all armed and shoot it out with criminals is just plain silly. The only thing medieval here is your believing that this is the case. Stop watching so much TV.

4) some state like Texas, Tennessee and Louisiana ( Bible Belt) are full of bigot people, religious fanatics and does not teach science in schools, is true? In Europe, even in Italy where we have the Vatican and the Pope, we teach two languages and math / science for Default. Religion subject is optional and no one is forced to believe in nothing.
For example Texas have the motto "in God we trust", and the Government enforces the belief in Jesus and God, being racist with atheists and other religion people. Also Texas have no respects for animals rights and pets, is true?

Also ridiculous on so many levels it isn't worth further response.

5) USA have low taxes than Europe but considering property taxes, house insurance, healtcare insurance and high community fees the taxes are the same if not much higher with the difference that you "cannot stop working"

There are definitely differences in tax structures between the two places, but the question of being able to retire has a lot more to d with a person's financial and economic success in their careers than with the tax structure. Many people retire young.

I'm searching for a USA city that have friendly people, low crime, is "child friendly" and good to raise a family, with good climate, good schools, parks, business friendly, and with some walkable zones, with not amazing prizes for the houses.

During my research i found those cities that can match my case:

-Austin TX (no personal income taxes but crazy property taxes)
-Seattle WA (no personal income taxes)
-New York NY
-Boston MC
-Sunnyvale CA
-Atlanta GA
-Portland OR

-New York have very expensive houses and the quality of life is not too good outside Manhattan

NY is expensive, but the quality of life is fine in many places outside Manhattan.

-Austin terrify me for the Texas "rumors" of violence, bigotry, armed people, Mexicans drug dealing, and violent police that i don't know if are true. Also, the Governor Rick Perry is rumored to be a fanatic religious that believe in creationism (!!!) and at the same time love death penalty, an absurd contradiction.

A small detail is that in Italy when a policeman stop you in the car, you can go out of the car immediatly and speak with the officer without problems or guns pointed at you.

I've never been to Texas but you are making massive assumptions about American life.

-Seattle have bad climate, Boston high home prices, and California is business unfrieldly and with hight taxes.

These are more reasonable observations.

Can you suggest me other cities tech oriented?
What's your opinion?

My opinion is that your view of America is so skewed that I don't want to suggest any other cities because I wouldn't want to hear what you think of them.

Sorry for the long post but i had to explain and with words is not simple.
I reported in this post some rumors, i want to know how much is true and what not, i do not want offend anyone.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 AM

21,241 posts, read 30,495,025 times
You should definitely add Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC to your list. It's a big high-tech area known as the Research Triangle, has a relatively low cost of living, lower crime than most (if not all) on your list, a moderate four season climate and it's a beautiful area to boot. It also has one of the highest concentration of educated citizens in the country (nearly half of the population holds a bachelors degree or higher).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tri...North_Carolina)
Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 AM

570 posts, read 1,147,332 times
maf763 covered everything well. The US is enormous and you have quite a lot of misconceptions about everything from taxes and housing to crime and religion.

Just to touch on a few things: Yes, many people in this country have guns, and many like to hunt. You're just going to have to deal with that fact it if you come here. No, there are generally NOT shootouts and most people you see out on the streets are not armed and will not seek to harm you or anyone else. I doubt you would ever even see a gun in person if you did not want to.

Yes, there are religious people here, just like anywhere in the world. I do hope you understand that 'religious' does not equal 'bigoted' or 'intolerant'. There are some areas of the country where people will say they feel as if they need to attend church to fit in. However, most of these areas are not in the major cities, so I doubt you will encounter them.

Not every American is a bible thumping, gun toting redneck No offense intended, but it does appear that you may watch too much tv.

Regarding taxes and health insurance, these things vary widely from state to state and person to person. But the government is not going to force you to sell your home if you are out of work for a year. However, if you have a mortgage and can't pay it (or can't pay the taxes) the home may eventually be foreclosed on. Banks don't like to loan money for a home, and then not receive repayment. And many health insurance plans are actually quite reasonable (reasonable for health insurance, that is!)

As a very general statement one of the reasons the US is more friendly to business than some parts of Europe is that the taxes are more manageable in the US. It all sounds wonderful that, in Italy even jobless no one has to go homeless - BUT that comes at a very high price in the form of taxes. You really can't have all kinds of social protections without the high taxes. How else would the social programs be paid for? I think the US, just like the other first world countries, is trying to find a good balance between providing social programs and not breaking people's backs with taxes.

Due to the line of work you are in, I would suggest Boston, San Francisco, New York City or Seattle. The weather may not be the best in those places, but perhaps you would find that you really don't mind it, and that the city amenities make up for it. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 AM

13,227 posts, read 18,008,236 times
So basically, everything this guy from Italy knows about the United States is wrong.

I better never again hear any snide remarks about Americans being brainwashed with bogus propaganda, because apparently there's just as much bull**** being passed around as fact in Italy/Europe as there is here.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,634 times
Thanks everyone for the answers,

@kyle19125 many thanks my friend, i'll check Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So basically, everything this guy from Italy knows about the United States is wrong.

I better never again hear any snide remarks about Americans being brainwashed with bogus propaganda, because apparently there's just as much bull**** being passed around as fact in Italy/Europe as there is here.
I know that some infos i have are wrong, this is the reason of this post.
However i understand now that many info i have are exaggerated, but true.
During my trip in Los Angeles, there was a homeless each corner, and my friend was robbed with a knife by a black teen in the metro during the morning.

Here we see each day on TV many bad news from US, like the 8 peoples killed days ago in California and similiar news. Internet is the only way to know the reality of the facts.

Sorry if i have offended your pride, but you have to understand that EU and USA are very different, and it's not simple to understand these diversty, especially when we have films and black chronicle news as reference.

Anyway, are there any other tech cities family friendly you can suggest me?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 AM

17,360 posts, read 19,631,862 times
Besides the cities mentioned, some other cities to consider:

San Diego
Washington, D.C.
Phoenix
Houston

You don't need to worry about crime, health care or taxes. You'll make enough money as a computer programmer to be able to ignore those things for the most part.

Actually, since you have so many options for cities, you should add more criteria for what you prefer to narrow down the list.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-15-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,266,335 times
Quote:
I know that some infos i have are wrong, this is the reason of this post.
However i understand now that many info i have are exaggerated, but true.
During my trip in Los Angeles, there was a homeless each corner, and my friend was robbed with a knife by a black teen in the metro during the morning.

Here we see each day on TV many bad news from US, like the 8 peoples killed days ago in California and similiar news. Internet is the only way to know the reality of the facts.

Sorry if i have offended your pride, but you have to understand that EU and USA are very different, and it's not simple to understand these diversty, especially when we have films and black chronicle news as reference.

Anyway, are there any other tech cities family friendly you can suggest me?

Thanks
Exaggerated but true? Not everything is so black and white. If anything, OP's the one that's coming off as bigoted. Pride's nothing to do with it. If we were only to rely solely on TV and black chronicle news, would it be fair of Americans to sit here and say that Italians *LOVE* to target/frame American girls to incarcerate them?

Look into San Jose, and San Diego, CA. Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston, TX. Philadelphia, PA.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:02 PM

299 posts, read 575,672 times
Quote:
-Seattle have bad climate
It's a matter of individual taste but in my mind Seattle has a very nice climate. It can be very gloomy in the late fall, winter, and early spring but the rest of the year is pleasant. It's not dreary and rainy every day of the year like some people make it out to be. Summers here are mostly sunny and mild with very little rain. Maybe you can express what you consider a good climate versus a bad one.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,851,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You should definitely add Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC to your list. It's a big high-tech area known as the Research Triangle, has a relatively low cost of living, lower crime than most (if not all) on your list, a moderate four season climate and it's a beautiful area to boot. It also has one of the highest concentration of educated citizens in the country (nearly half of the population holds a bachelors degree or higher).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tri...North_Carolina)
Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agreed.

Research Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (one of the links above doesn't work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or