Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,336,769 times

Advertisements

Ohio is a state of contradictions. However it is well rounded in terms of everything. It is affordable. Outside of the PNW it is probably the cloudiest and most green state in the nation. Cleveland is a city that needs rebuilt from the ground up. Its not fair to compare it to other cities. Clevelanders hate Cincinnati. They don't consider it Ohio. They have an attitude. They are mostly northeastern immigrants. Cincinnati is mostly southern immigrants. Cincinnati is average, but not below average. Dayton is the true heart of Ohio. Akron is a good all around city. Columbus has the least character of Ohio cities, but it has Ohio State university which provides a lot of diversity.

Ohio cities are average in terms of diversity. I will gamble and say that Ohio is one of the most tolerant states in the country behind California. Ohio has had strong civil liberty roots dating back to slavery and the underground railroad. If you come to Ohio you will notice that every big city is about half black. Probably more black people than you have ever seen living in all different demographics. However there are not many other minorities in Ohio. All of Ohio's cities have real grit and grime. Ohio grown beefsteak and cherry tomato's are the best in North America. Toledo is the worst bigger city in Ohio. Ohio was and still may be the real backbone of the United States. It manufactured more and produced more steel, and helped build the nations major cities more than any other state. Ohio is easily the rustbelt capital.

Ohio cities do not have a lot in terms of nightlife. They are average. Ohio is a flyover state. Despite what Clevelanders will say. Ohio actually has one of the lowest amounts of crime in terms of other states and its population. there are a ton of sex offenders in Ohio though. I think third behind California and Florida. Ohio was also hit hardest behind California and Florida for the housing bust. Neither of the Bush's that were president helped Ohio. Both left it to more decay. Ohio is truly the forgotten state of the nation. It has largely dilapidated since the 1950's. Ohio's five cities should be linked by highspeed rail but Florida got the government grant for it instead.

Ohio schools are average. However there are more colleges in the state per amount of people than any other state. Ohio has good roads that are maintained. You do not find dirt roads except for in southeast Ohio. Southeast Ohio is the prettiest part of the state but the least inhabited and also the poorest. Industry is ingrained into Ohioans. At one time the Dayton-Cincy corridor was the largest industrialized area in the entire world. Ohio used to be the fourth largest state. It has been on top and to the bottom. Ohio can be beautiful. Medicaid and welfare are bankrupting Ohio. There are currently major medicaid cuts being passed in Ohio. Ohio football has been the worst in the nation despite having the most nostalgic history of professional football in the entire nation. Dayton is the birthplace of the NFL. The old Cleveland Browns were the most dominant dynasty in professional football to this day. They truly are one of the most loyal and passionate football crowds.

Ohio maple syrup rivals that of the northeast. Whitetail deer are the most numerous and largest in the country in Ohio. A twenty-eight point buck was shot that weighed over 800 lbs. Ohioans killed all of the predators in the state by the year 1800. Black bears were extirpated and only recently have found a home again in southeast Ohio. there are no other large predators in Ohio so it is one of the most camping friendly states. there are no biting ants or venomous snakes to worry about. However there are tons of rabbits, possums, raccoons, and other smaller creatures in abundance. Lake Erie once had the highest density of Cougars and the United States and was nicknamed "lake of the cat." There is an animal preserve in eastern Ohio called "The Wilds" that is the largest animal preserve in North America. It is also the second home to Przewalski's Horse from Mongolia which is the only real wild horse in the world. there are also rhino's and many other large animals.

Pawpaws are a fruit that grows the best in Ohio. They are also the largest native fruit in North America. Edible foods in Ohio that grow naturally are grapes, carrots, onions, strawberries, blackberries, walnuts, apples, crabapples, mushrooms, pawpaws and I'm forgetting some. Ohio thunderstorms can be very fierce and on par with the worst anywhere. However only the western counties on the Ohio border are in the greater tornado alley range. Ohio has many interesting facts of largest or oldest or most prominent histories in the nation. Cedar Point is hands down the best theme park, and Kings island in Cincy is near the top also. Tigers are actually connected with Cincy because at one time the Cincinnati Zoo was one of the best in the world for its breeding programs. The Tiger was reestablished there and reintroduced to many of its former habitats.

Ohio rivers are ugly, drying up, dying, polluted and dead. They are the ugliest feature of Ohio's landscape. there are to many dams in Ohio that do not allow enough water through. The rivers are ugly brown. Cleveland and Dayton are the poorest of the larger cities in the country. Ohio has a lot of fat people and very homely looking people. Though most are easy to get along with. Ohio probably has more notable people for its size than any other state. Ohio schools are average to below average in general. Most are below average. Ohio is where the northeast, south, and midwest come together. It is the main state where regional differences converge into one. there is Cleveland which is northeastern, Cincy which is southern, Columbus which is midwestern, and then there is the valley and Great Lakes accents.

Ohio truly is a state of contradictions. Most Ohioans do not label things accept for in science. Stereotypes and labels are mostly unspoken and unnecessary. Ohioans feel rejected by the country and left behind since the fifties generation. There is a sense of brotherhood to Ohioans since they perceive they are forgotten by the nation. Ohio is not a cow state. It mostly grows corn and soy. Ohio has a lot of entry level jobs all over the state. Though it lacks higher level positions notable with most major cities. Cincinnati has home grown the second most fortune five hundred companies only to New York. However most have left and outsourced. Cleveland is NYC's little brother. The two are weirdly intertwined. The Cincinnati Reds are the first major league baseball team and home to the best team in history, the 1975-76 Reds. Ohioans love sports and alcohol to much.Ohio is not proactive or progressive anymore. A donkey could run for a political spot in Ohio and run the state. Ohio is boring for the most part.

There is a constant haze over Ohio's cities. Ohioans thrive when they move to other places. Ohio has the best natural grass in North America in spite of Kentucky's bluegrass. The largest fossilized cockroach was found in Ohio. It was a foot long. Ohio used to be part of an inland sea. I found out there are Italian lizards living in Cincinnati. Ohio has some of the best native America heritage in the country. There are mounds, notable native American figures, and some of the biggest Native American victories in North American history. However all the Native American tribes are extirpated from Ohio. NYC and LA have equal influences on the state. Ohio is behind in social services and mental health. Ohio is underrated and overrated. Ohio would thrive if taken care of better and its cities were rebuilt. It would pass Illinois and Pennsylvania in population again. Ohioans do not know how to fix the state and bring in new life. Ohioans want a world class city and a better future than it has been for many decades.

Ohio has as many churches, temples, and synagogues as any southern state. it is a very religious state. Though it is mostly Protestant and not Catholic like the northeast. Ohio is the only state with a special agreement with the nation of Israel. Ohio and Israel have a business arrangement to collaborate and create more opportunities for each region.

Ohio still has spirit but it is broken in many ways. After much neglect and decline it has almost lost its identity. It used to be a place of pioneered ideas, invention, dreams, and progressive thinking. Now it is a flyover state with no influence and it is losing political power. You can find pure America there and wholesome family living. You can find cities that feel like real American cities, not the newer fake stuff. All in all though it is a state of contradictions. Occasionally it bursts through and shines but most of the time it is fading away.

A little about me. I'm from Dayton, Ohio. I lived there half of my life and then moved to Tampa, Florida. I've been all over Ohio and Florida and inbetween. I will soon be moving out west. I realize that a lot of this is just an opinion and i hope you do too. I don't even know why i felt the need to write it except maybe it would give some insight for someone. please forgive my jumbled analysis and grammatical errors.

Last edited by the_pines; 10-15-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM

13,958 posts, read 14,866,245 times
I dont know, New England is Super green and cloudy, so Ohio comes is 8th or 9th in that catagory.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM

No believe me New England is generally sunnier than Ohio. It gets so cloudy and dark in Ohio that you can feel the thick air and pressure change. It can last for weeks at a time. Only four states are cloudier than Ohio.

Best and Worst States: Best States for Sunshine

Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
No believe me New England is generally sunnier than Ohio. It gets so cloudy and dark in Ohio that you can feel the thick air and pressure change. It can last for weeks at a time. Only four states are cloudier than Ohio.

Best and Worst States: Best States for Sunshine
we are definatly greener, we have very dense forests

Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,248,818 times
Um it's Cedar Point, not Cedar Park. And Dayton is not the birthplace of the NFL, I don't know where you got that from. Random thread.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 PM

I know its Cedar Point. I will correct it. Anyway Dayton is the birthplace of the NFL.

Dayton Triangles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Redirect Notice

Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 AM

780 posts, read 1,570,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I know its Cedar Point. I will correct it. Anyway Dayton is the birthplace of the NFL.

Dayton Triangles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Redirect Notice
FYI - re-read that wikipedia article - the part under "NFL Era". The NFL was born out of meetings in Canton at Ralph Hay's dealership. While Dayton was a charter team in that league, it wasn't the true birthplace of the league, Canton was. Thus the reason the HOF is in Canton, not Dayton.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 AM

14,641 posts, read 14,534,672 times
Nice thread, and I agree with a good amount of what was written (except the thing about the mid 70s Reds team...try the 1972-74 A's!)

Old 10-16-2011, 10:06 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,050,284 times
I knew about the OP being wrong about the NFL, and I stopped reading after I read the part about no poisonous snakes. There are copperheads. The OP must have gotten all his info from Wikipedia. When will people learn?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I knew about the OP being wrong about the NFL, and I stopped reading after I read the part about no poisonous snakes. There are copperheads. The OP must have gotten all his info from Wikipedia. When will people learn?
Maine and Hawaii are the only states without Poisonous snakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.