Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Colorado Springs = 0

Couple a "cricks" though; Monument, Sand, Fountain and Bear.
Whoa, they call them "cricks" out there too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In the city of Pittsburgh, there are obviously three rivers: the Allegheny River, the Monongahela RIver, and the Ohio River.

Each of those primary rivers has a secondary river in the Pittsburgh MSA that serves as its primary tributary: the Kiskiminetas River (Allegheny), the Youghiogheny River (Monongahela), and the Beaver River (Ohio).

Each of those secondary rivers is also fed by both a tertiary river and a large creek: the Conemaugh River and Loyalhanna Creek (Kiskiminetas, Allegheny), the Casselman River and Indian Creek (Youghiogheny, Monongahela), and the Shenango River and Connoquenessing Creek (Beaver, Ohio).

Each major river also has a large creek directly feeding it in Allegheny County: Pine Creek (Allegheny), Turtle Creek (Monongahela), and Chartiers Creek (Ohio).

Here's a series of "flow" charts to make it all easier to understand:
Allegheny River < Kiskiminetas River < Conemaugh River
Allegheny River < Kiskiminetas River < Loyalhanna Creek
Allegheny River < Pine Creek

Monongahela River < Youghiogheny River < Casselman River
Monongahela River < Youghiogheny River < Indian Creek
Monongahela River < Turtle Creek

Ohio River < Beaver River < Shenango River
Ohio River < Beaver River < Connoquenessing Creek
Ohio River < Chartiers Creek

There's also Pittsburgh's "Fourth River" that is actually a subterranean river channel that flows 54 feet below ground surface of the confluence of the Allegheny, Monongehela and Ohio rivers in downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If you use this exclusion, NYC only has 1 - the Bronx river.

The Hudson river is not a freshwater river in NYC.
I think btownboss44 meant that it has to be freshwater at some point along its course. Not necessarily at the site of the city.

Because if not, then this "counts" (Muddy River, Boston)...

.... And the Hudson doesn't.

Most rivers turn from Fresh to Brackish to Salt. Just because the city is located on the salt (or brackish) part, does not mean it should be discounted. If that's true, then the Charles, Mystic and Neponset Rivers in Boston shouldn't count either (they're all salt at the mouth which is in Boston).

The Providence River also has freshwater sources and tributaries even though it's only 8 miles.

I think the criteria should be pretty vague for this one. Not all rivers are navigable, not all are freshwater (or salt or brackish); and yet they all have various presences in their cities. The Muddy River is little more than a stream through some parkland in Boston whereas the Hudson is the water artery of the largest city in the US. There's no way the Muddy River counts and Hudson doesn't. Most people in Boston couldn't tell you what the Muddy River is.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think btownboss44 meant that it has to be freshwater at some point along its course. Not necessarily at the site of the city.

Because if not, then this "counts" (Muddy River, Boston)...

.... And the Hudson doesn't.

Most rivers turn from Fresh to Brackish to Salt. Just because the city is located on the salt (or brackish) part, does not mean it should be discounted. If that's true, then the Charles, Mystic and Neponset Rivers in Boston shouldn't count either (they're all salt at the mouth which is in Boston).

The Providence River also has freshwater sources and tributaries even though it's only 8 miles.

I think the criteria should be pretty vague for this one. Not all rivers are navigable, not all are freshwater (or salt or brackish); and yet they all have various presences in their cities. The Muddy River is little more than a stream through some parkland in Boston whereas the Hudson is the water artery of the largest city in the US. There's no way the Muddy River counts and Hudson doesn't. Most people in Boston couldn't tell you what the Muddy River is.
NO I wanted to discount staits that are called rivers like the East River, however the Hudson does count cause its the mouth of a freshwater river.

Also the Neposet would be completly fresh water upstream of the the lower falls.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Twin Cities Metro area has 8 rivers

Mississippi
Minnesota
St Croix
Crow
Rum
Vermillion
Credit
Dahlgren

many others that are called creeks and would count as rivers but for the timidness of the early explorers' waterway naming abilities.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NO I wanted to discount staits that are called rivers like the East River, however the Hudson does count cause its the mouth of a freshwater river.

Also the Neposet would be completly fresh water upstream of the the lower falls.
Ok, I see what you're saying. You're right, Manhattan is essentially an Island in the Hudson River. The East River (technically a "straight") is not a river at all even though it does have a big presence in the city as a whole.

You're also right about the Neponset. I just think of the mouth and the marshes around where 93 and the Red Line cross it. Most people don't even consider it when they think of Boston.

The Muddy? Technically yes, but it's hard to really think of it as a river. It's more of a brook in some wooded parkland. It can be great though. At least not in the same sense that the Providence River is in Providence (Don't forget the Blackstone either).

Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

many others that are called creeks and would count as rivers but for the timidness of the early explorers' waterway naming abilities.
yeah, all of ours are called Creeks or Bayous apart from The San Jacinto River, Brazos River and Trinity River. In all there are about 28 Rivers, creeks and Bayous here

Rivers, Creeks and Bayous:

1. Brazos River
2. San Jacinto River
3. Trinity River
4. Buffalo Bayou
5. Brays
6. White Oak
7. Greens
8. Clear Creek
9. Hall
10. Armand
11. Cyprus Creek
12. Hunting
13. Sims
14. Garners
15. Little White
16. Cedar
17. Carpenters
18. Spring creek
19. Goose Creek
20. Luce Bayou
21. Willow Creek
22. Vince Bayou
23. Spring Gully
24. Jackson..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah, all of ours are called Creeks or Bayous apart from The San Jacinto River, Brazos River and Trinity River. In all there are about 28 Rivers, creeks and Bayous here

Rivers, Creeks and Bayous:

1. Brazos River
2. San Jacinto River
3. Trinity River
4. Buffalo Bayou
5. Brays
6. White Oak
7. Greens
8. Clear Creek
9. Hall
10. Armand
11. Cyprus Creek
12. Hunting
13. Sims
14. Garners
15. Little White
16. Cedar
17. Carpenters
18. Spring creek
19. Goose Creek
20. Luce Bayou
21. Willow Creek
22. Vince Bayou
23. Spring Gully
24. Jackson..
In Houston city Proper?, I'm talking city proper here.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 PM

309 posts, read 307,727 times
Kansas City has 4:

Missouri River

Blue River

Kansas River

Little Blue River

Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In Houston city Proper?, I'm talking city proper here.
I'm unaware the any of the three rivers listed flow witbin the boundaries of the city of Houston. Beyond that, as someone who lived in Houston for a couple of decades, I would not have considered responding to your thread by listing these series of (primarily) drainage canals (aka bayous) that criss-cross the metro. No doubt others will disagree. As this will likely invite dispute, I'll just offer in advance that I simply agree to disagree.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-20-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.