Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Actually I meant it. It's also been called pennsyltucky. It's generally the region that isn't pittsburgh or philly. More conservatives than liberals, and other diffrences.
I wondered about the Pennsyltucky thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I find it interesting that this map shows Charleston SC as an 'outlier' where the dialect is not spoken.
I grew up near Charleston, and there is a distinct Charleston accent. It almost sounds like that super-wealthy Rhode Island/Boston accent. The "purest" Charleston accents are extremely refined, and sound British. I only know a handful of people who speak that way, however. My 7th grade teacher was one. You have to say it like: "Chaaaaals-ton"

That map is basically a bunch of B.S. - it is way too generalized. That would be like putting a big blob on a map that covers all of the northeast and midwest from Maine, down to Virginia, and all the way out to Minnesota. Then call that "Northern American English".

People from Alabama and Mississippi speak very differently than they do in the Carolinas, Louisiana has a distinct speech pattern, and the Appalachians and West Virginia have their own seperate one as well. Arkansas people talk crazy as hell, I really get a kick out of it. I can easily tell the difference between someone from the South Carolina lowcountry and the Piedmont/Mountain area of North Carolina, which is not far away.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Geez why does this have to be such a great big ol' debate all the time? Why can't we just leave the good Ol Mason Dixon alone? Just because some things have changed about the area does that make it a different place??? If a bunch of American transplants moved to Mexico would that make it America? Goodness!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I grew up near Charleston, and there is a distinct Charleston accent. It almost sounds like that super-wealthy Rhode Island/Boston accent. The "purest" Charleston accents are extremely refined, and sound British. I only know a handful of people who speak that way, however. My 7th grade teacher was one. You have to say it like: "Chaaaaals-ton"

That map is basically a bunch of B.S. - it is way too generalized. That would be like putting a big blob on a map that covers all of the northeast and midwest from Maine, down to Virginia, and all the way out to Minnesota. Then call that "Northern American English".

People from Alabama and Mississippi speak very differently than they do in the Carolinas, Louisiana has a distinct speech pattern, and the Appalachians and West Virginia have their own seperate one as well. Arkansas people talk crazy as hell, I really get a kick out of it. I can easily tell the difference between someone from the South Carolina lowcountry and the Piedmont/Mountain area of North Carolina, which is not far away.
Virginia is not the Northeast. Thats blasphemy !

Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Oh yeah? I guess y'all just talk funny

Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Oh yeah? I guess y'all just talk funny
You're joking, right? We don't talk funny, with the exception of Northern Virginia- which has people from all over.

Most people I meet from the South can tell I'm not from the North.

The Tidewater Virginia accent is right similar to Charleston, only it actually sounds more Southern, than British.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:00 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
lol Pennsylbama? So it's northern and southern hahahaha....it's ironic that you say Pennsylbama because Birmingham and Pittsburgh kinda complete that term...states are rich in steel...anyway...I'm sure you meant Pennsylvania...lol Pennsylbama
Haha, the poster was probably referring to more common nickname that many Eastern and Western Pennsylvanians use to disparage Central PA -- "Pennsyltucky." With the exception of State College, the central part of our state really is a totally different world than what you'd find around Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-24-2007 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post

Like I've said about a million times now -- modern culture trumps historic geography, and Virginia, especially in the north, is pretty Northeastern in character. I'm not saying you don't still have pockets of Southern culture, but the Northeastern way of life has extended South considerably over the last century. Some people are even starting to question the diluted Southern character of North Carolina. That's not saying people living in those states can't be considered southern, but it's not very easy nowadays to find Southern accents once you're north of Richmond -- not to mention in New South cities such as Charlotte or Atlanta.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Like I've said about a million times now -- modern culture trumps historic geography, and Virginia, especially in the north, is pretty Northeastern in character. I'm not saying you don't still have pockets of Southern culture, but the Northeastern way of life has extended South considerably over the last century. Some people are even starting to question the diluted Southern character of North Carolina. That's not saying people living in those states can't be considered southern, but it's not very easy nowadays to find Southern accents once you're north of Richmond -- not to mention in New South cities such as Charlotte or Atlanta.
Southern accents are dissapearing all over the South, not just Virginia.
The line is really Fredericksburg, if you wanna draw where you can experience the True South.

Its not the last 100 years, more like the last 40 years.

Its pockets of Northern culture, within a culturally Southern state.

Even with the influx of northerners, Virginia is still not Northeastern in character. Northern Virginia maybe be a little mix, but anywhere from Fredericksburg on down is very Southern still and so are many other areas.

I have been to the Northeast. I felt like a fish out of water there. As a Virginian I feel very much at home in the Deeper South.

Even from a geographically stand point, Virginia is not the Northeast.

As for lack of Southern accents in Virginia- that is true all over the South nowadays. I have met people from Georgia who have barely a trace of Southern accent- and they come from Southern families.

You'll be more likely to hear a strong Southern accent in Richmond than you ever will in Atlanta or Charlotte.

I suppose compared to Alabama we're not quite as Southern. But Northeast? Hell no!

Last edited by vasinger; 08-24-2007 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 01:43 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
The Mason-Dixon line exists in an objective sense: at a certain point, I want to turn around and go home!

The line lies where the threshold exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.