Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
On the French I think this is more of a cultural signifier deal. Liberal/Progressive people or places in the US tend to like the French more than conservatives do. These days conservatives don't necessarily dislike the French, but I don't think they're too enamored with them either. That one may go back a long way before the war as the more Liberal/Progressive types among the Founding Fathers were often more pro-French than the conservative ones. So the French accent/style might play really well in San Francisco or Georgetown while playing less well in Oklahoma City or Jacksonville.
This has been my experience as well, especially regarding the French. The people I've known who hated the French and the English also pretty much hated everyone who wasn't American, so I'm not sure that counts. Personally, I never understood it. Without either country the U.S. might not exist as we know it.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
People are fond of cities like Boston because they're not cookie cutter cities that people are used to seeing west of the east coast. Not because cities like Boston have a strong English-ness.

Dumb thread.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Everyone should visit London and Paris sometime in their lives. No exceptions.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
The French are liked by many, and disliked by many (i'd say more like it or are indifferent though), while the British seem to be liked by most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
People are fond of cities like Boston because they're not cookie cutter cities that people are used to seeing west of the east coast. Not because cities like Boston have a strong English-ness.

Dumb thread.
And this is a dumb post. "Cookie cutter cities"

Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
The French are liked by many, and disliked by many (i'd say more like it or are indifferent though), while the British seem to be liked by most people.

And this is a dumb post. "Cookie cutter cities"

So you agree people from Peoria, Des Moines, Omaha etc. want to move to cities like Boston because of it's "British-ness"?

Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
I think the OP is actually correct about this. The US middle class has an affinity to all things British. In contrast, I think there is an aversion to things French, among the middle class anyway. Maybe it has to do with the WWll experience- that wasn't so long ago after all. Or maybe its just what we see on popular TV shows. There is a stereotype that the Brits are happy and funny and the French are miserable snobs.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

This is easily the strangest thread title I've seen on City-Data. Well done on that account.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
jay z and ti jocked this song and some other brit/uk sounding tracks

M.I.A. PAPER PLANES official video - YouTube

Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most Americans aren't really that fond of either the Brits or the French.
Concur, although the UK is still regarded as our best European friend and most reliable ally.The recent riots in London and elsewhere around England tarnished the British image with much loss of prestige.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Liberal/Progressive people or places in the US tend to like the French more than conservatives do.
Agree again. Many conservatives regard the Froggies with a great deal of contempt

Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was in Boston this weekend when something occurred to me: Americans (SWPLs in particular) seem to looooooooove Boston so much because it's arguably the most European city in the country. I would even argue that the closer the connection to England you have (through lineage, education, architecture, etc), the more prestigious something/somewhere is. America obviously has a sentimental attachment to Britain since they were our colonial master many years ago, but some people really embrace all things British (or European) because it's a way of demonstrating status. If you don't believe me, try speaking with a British accent (if you can fake one) and see how deferential people become.

So it's clear to me that Yanks love Brits. Mais nous amons les francais aussi. Even better than speaking with a British accent is dropping some francais right in the middle of some chic store in Georgetown/San Francisco/Midtown. This will give you license to talk down to all of the smug retail workers in major department stores all across this Great Land.

So who do Americans "jock" more?
Boston is a pure AMERICAN city in my opinion. Having been to Europe the only thing European about Boston is that it is walkable and dense (and old), you can say the same thing about areas of Beverly Hills minus the old part.

Anyways... I don't think Americans jock either more.... most are pretty proud of being American. I was in Paris and London a month ago, great people in both cities, but American mannerisms and attitudes towards many things are completely different then those of the Parisians or Brits.

I'm pretty sure I just fed a troll tho... but meh whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.