Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times

Advertisements

Wow, so you have to go through winter! Have you stopped to consider how awesome spring, summer and fall are in the north? All the best of summer - and none of the worst (like stifling heat and humidity, bugs, etc).

It's amazing to me how many people convince themselves that warm weather year-round is everything, that having to deal with cold weather part of the year is too terrible to bear, and that terror of 3/4 months of cold makes it worth all the other crap you have to put up with in the Sun Belt (drought, fire ants, hurricanes/tornadoes, stifling heat and humidity to name a few).

Crazy. Just crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM

57 posts, read 91,714 times
Perhaps Washington D.C. is the city for you, winters are not nearly as harsh and from a cultural point of view it is still a wealthy and powerful city with museums and a great transit system. However the city with the most of those characteristics while enjoying superior weather is San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
for Weather...

I can't stand winter. But my mind-set and attitude are very Northern I think. I would live to be in Chicago, I think it combines everything I look for.. from waterfront, culture, somewhat reasonable cost of living, good sized population, public transportation, not a total sprawl, etc. Except those miserable winters.

Which warmer US cities have similar characteristics as Chicago, Boston, etc?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Wow, so you have to go through winter! Have you stopped to consider how awesome spring, summer and fall are in the north? All the best of summer - and none of the worst (like stifling heat and humidity, bugs, etc).

It's amazing to me how many people convince themselves that warm weather year-round is everything, that having to deal with cold weather part of the year is too terrible to bear, and that terror of 3/4 months of cold makes it worth all the other crap you have to put up with in the Sun Belt (drought, fire ants, hurricanes/tornadoes, stifling heat and humidity to name a few).

Crazy. Just crazy.
I've lived plenty of places. West coast, east coast, been to basically every corner of the US... Maine, Florida, Washington/Canada Border, and SoCal.

MA winters are awful. It's not 3 months. it's 4-5 months. it's closer to being 1/2 the year than to being 1/4 of the year. I've lived in Pennsylvania for 5+ years. You can tell me the 4 season thing about PA. but for MA I'm not buying it. Winter lasts forever, spring doesn't really exist, it's just cold rain and even snow possibly, until it magically becomes summer. Fall is nice but temps get cold incredibly fast. It's getting quite cold out in MA right now, and the leaves are still green right now.

And also the summers here are plenty humid. We don't get the crazy temps usually ,but it's quite humid, tons of mosquitos. My brothers visit from the west coast and they constantly comment about how muggy and humid the air is, they can't believe it. Even when it's only 80 degrees, you feel sweaty.

But I agree with you, a lot of people do assume that year round sunshine is great, and they don't think about hurricanes, bugs, etc.

But personally I'd rather take some heat than take miserable winters. It was 90+ in Boston a few times this summer, and humid of course, and I enjoyed every minute of it, even in a longsleeve shirt and tie.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If you dont want the cold SF, LA, Seatlle offer some of these componants. Also places like DC are not awful in the winer, much milder than Boston or Chicago from a winter perspective.

If COL is factor, Philly (while a little less mild than DC in the winter) offers a similar big city feel to either a Chicago or Boston without quite as cold a winter.

One other thought is Atlanta along MARTA can offer good transit, a city feel and milder winters
Those are your only options. There is nothing really in the southeast unless you want *small* and walkable, but there are no walkable major metros. Out of your northern cities, DC is the mildest.

End thread really.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:

Crazy. Just crazy.
Wow, have you ever realized that not everyone likes snow and cold weather?

Crazy, just crazy.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Chicagoland sprawls with the best of them.
Yes, all US cities sprawl. But the OP said Chi was "not total sprawl". I know what he means. It is entirely possible to live in the city of Chicago without having to go to the burbs at all, and totally possible to easily rely on public trans and walking 100% of the time. Many of the US's largest cities cannot make that claim.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Fortuantely I have lived throughout our great States! However the saddest thing I've experience would most certainly be the Winter season without the Winter in the season. States lacking snow or winter weather around Christmas feels odd. Sure it is great to get away to experience a mild weather Christmas from time to time BUT to only experience Christmas without Snow screams UN-AMERICAN (not literally,ppl).

Old 10-17-2011, 08:13 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Fortuantely I have lived throughout our great States! However the saddest thing I've experience would most certainly be the Winter season without the Winter in the season. States lacking snow or winter weather around Christmas feels odd. Sure it is great to get away to experience a mild weather Christmas from time to time BUT to only experience Christmas without Snow screams UN-AMERICAN (not literally,ppl).
Australians got used to it, so can I haha. December is summer for them!

I know what you mean though, i've heard a lot of people say what you are saying. I think maybe I'm looking too extreme. Maybe I just need a milder winter, rather than no winter at all. I never minded the winters when i lived in Philly. Then again I was younger and didn't have to drive, shovel snow, get to work on time, etc.

Denver might be great for me. They get snow, but also warm sunny days in the summer. I think the lack of water around Denver scares me though. it's probably not as big a deal as I'm making it. Plus the ocean does me no good half the year in Massachusetts, it's so cold outside and dark

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:

Crazy. Just crazy.
lol I'd rather put up with humidity and heat than the cold. I guess working on rooftops has acclimated me to a hot climate. Usual summer day in SE Missouri is Mid 90's with 65% humidity. I never notice it.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Yes, all US cities sprawl. But the OP said Chi was "not total sprawl". I know what he means. It is entirely possible to live in the city of Chicago without having to go to the burbs at all, and totally possible to easily rely on public trans and walking 100% of the time. Many of the US's largest cities cannot make that claim.
I generally never go to the suburbs except some of the more inner ring/urban ones such as Evanston/Oak Park that I can get to on the El, nor do I particularly like the other ones. I haven't had a car for years in Chicago, non issue. I suppose that makes me an "urbanite", and Chicago is def one of the few cities you can live like that. Having a car in many areas is actually a hassle. And for the very few reasons you might need a car, you can just rent a zip car by the hour or rental for the day. Most of my prolific rants on the sunbelt aren't about cultural/amenity things, but urban lifestyle things just like you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.