U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 PM

70 posts, read 123,089 times

Advertisements

-Atlanta
-Denver/Boulder
-Greenville/Spartanburg SC
-Jacksonville
-Louisville
-Portland
-Seattle

I put together a weighted analysis for my preferences of mild weather, decent 4 year public universities within commute distance (I will be a transfer student), and a good sports environment. After my analysis, 1st 2nd & 3rd were Jax, Atlanta, & Portland, respectively. Many of these cities were close behind since they are the narrowed selection from about 25 metros.

Now I'm just looking for general opinions of living in or near these 7 metro areas. Ideas I'm unsure of and that will be important are: vibrancy/energy of these metros, the economy (I'll be hunting a non-officer position in banking), cost of living, a good place for single's in their 20's, a place that doesn't have nice golf course conditions turn brown very often (like where I'm from... Oklahoma), and any other thing(s) you all might think is important of these places, such as taxes.

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,120,793 times
I say go to Seattle. It has the best economy out of all those cities.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM

4,265 posts, read 6,344,366 times
Aside from Atlanta, the other three southern cities on your list -- Greenville/Spartanburg, Jacksonville, and Louisville, will feel terribly provinicial and small minded if that makes a difference to you. Intellectual, artistic, and political vibrancy are not among their strong points, even with big universities in or near them. They are nice enough, but I'd never call them worldly or cosmopolitan.

If you like golfing year-round, remeber that Denver/Boulder are in the Rockies. That means snow that will cut down on your golf time. Other than that, however, they seem like good chocices in that they are regional economic centers, relatively low cost-living, and vibrant communities with lots of young people.

Portland (where I've never been) is regarded by a lot of folks on these boards as "precious" and "politically correct" You'll have to decide for yourself if concern about being green, smart urban planning, and liberal politics, are your cup of tea. But its a far cry from Spartenburg SC, I'm sure.

So my vote goes to Seattle or Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 PM

oops I have one more I was going to add...

Charlotte

and thanks for the votes so far. Politics I'm not really worried about. That's the politicians game (as it's always been) and not mine. Portland seems very attractive and after reading in their forum & seeing pictures of the area, it seems logical. HOWEVER, from what I hear their economy is not really growing... everyone is moving there looking for a job and there is less job turnover and no new jobs, leaving many out-of-staters with no job to be found within 4-6 months. Me, I plan on starting as a bank teller wherever I go, as it's my current job & I have decent banking experience. I wouldn't mind too much to start a $8-$9/hr job just to have a source of income until I find the job I'm looking for. Getting an hourly job/interviews while being out of state will realistically not happen, therefore it does seem frightening to an extent. One of the reasons I added Charlotte to my list is it's big financial/banking industry, finish college nearby, and may have many career advancement opportunities after on. It's also relatively close to the beach & lots of great golf destinations.

Last edited by thegolfer86; 10-21-2011 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,227,573 times
It really depends on how you define "mild" for season. A lot of people find they can't hack Seattle/Portland's heavy cloud blanket which is generally "on" for 9 months.

Politics should be of a concern because it does affect your life; Portland has never been successful in the way Seattle was/is-- all because of politics and the kind of people it attracts. For me, the absurdity of Portland is best represented by the TV show, "Portlandia". Seattle has more of a professional front. Oregon has income tax, no sales tax but low wages. Washington has (high) sales tax, no income tax and high wages.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegolfer86 View Post
-Atlanta
-Denver/Boulder
-Greenville/Spartanburg SC
-Jacksonville
-Louisville
-Portland
-Seattle

I put together a weighted analysis for my preferences of mild weather, decent 4 year public universities within commute distance (I will be a transfer student), and a good sports environment. After my analysis, 1st 2nd & 3rd were Jax, Atlanta, & Portland, respectively. Many of these cities were close behind since they are the narrowed selection from about 25 metros.

Now I'm just looking for general opinions of living in or near these 7 metro areas. Ideas I'm unsure of and that will be important are: vibrancy/energy of these metros, the economy (I'll be hunting a non-officer position in banking), cost of living, a good place for single's in their 20's, a place that doesn't have nice golf course conditions turn brown very often (like where I'm from... Oklahoma), and any other thing(s) you all might think is important of these places, such as taxes.

Thanks everyone
I think Jacksonville is a good choice as it has a great year-round climate for golf and plenty of options in terms of golf courses. The city has a relatively large population of young professionals, the city's average age is 34, women outnumber men (100 to 90) and around 1/3 of the population under 44 is single. The University of North Florida is a fast growing university (17,000 undergrads) which is beginning to turn heads in terms of reputation. The banking industry has a significant presence in Jacksonville as it's the home of many regional offices for the big banks (B of A, Citibank, Deutsche Bank, Wells Fargo to name a few) and the home base of Everbank. The city/state has no taxes which is a nice perk and a low cost of living in my opinion given the size of the city. The city has some fun, vibrant neighborhoods worth exploring. Check out San Marcos, Riverside, Arlington and Springfield as well as the revitalizing downtown area/riverfront. The beaches are minutes away, besides Jacksonville Beach I like the historic town of Fernandina Beach.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM

371 posts, read 299,432 times
I am sorry but i think Jacksonville is really a soulless city. I have been down there searching for the nice and cool places and frankly considering it is something like our 11th largest city it seems to have very little to offer. A big sprawl, No one lives down town. My wife and I went to River side and 5 corners looking for a possible place to relocate. Crackheads begging for money, dirty streets, crappy storefronts no thanks. The Weather is of coarse pretty much perfect aside from july. august and September. When it is simply to hot. You should visit before considering Jacksonville.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM

727 posts, read 1,067,038 times
Atlanta.

Pros:
Good universities
Lots of golf courses
Low cost of living
Most areas in the city are vary vibrant
Weather is pretty mild, high 90s in summer and (usually) mid-high 40s in winter.
Atlanta beats all others on your list, besides maybe portland, in public transportation.

Cons:
Economy, recovery has been slow here but i do see light at the end of the tunnle. As far as banking, I really do not know, I know we have a good amont of big banks located here, I would try to find a job before moving.

If you can find the time i would suggest you visit atlanta to get a feal for it yourself, see if it is right for you.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM

So we got Seattle over Portland as far as those two cities go. I always assumed Seattle would be a much more fun city myself. The only concern on that particular decision will be the secondary education in the area. My college GPA will likely not be good enough to get me into the Univ. of Washington, but maybe good enough for one of their satellite campuses. As far as those schools, I'm not certain there are any other notable public universities within 75 miles besides Western Washington St? That was the opposite with Portland, they have Portland State & Washington State-Vancouver, which both should be easy to get into.

JAX... yeah, it seems good as far as weather & golf options go. Plus UNF is likely a decent school and easy to transfer to. I'm unsure of the economy there though. And I'm sure there are bad parts in Jax as mentioned, but about any city you go to will have it's bad parts too. I suppose I'd have to visit to get a feel for the city. If it were an easier decision for a city in Florida I'd pick Tampa, but only USF would be a legit option for school, and it would be more difficult to get into. I have been to Orlando, Daytona, & World Golf Village and it was nice.

ATL... drove through it once. Was impressed when I drove through the city. Big fan of the Georgia Pines. I could definitely see myself highly considering the metro.

Charlotte... still no comments?

I might take Greenville/Spartanburg off my list, maybe L'ville too. I think I would eventually get bored there. I'm still kinda young & single, so need things to do. Lets see here... I even thought more again about Chicago, NY, Philly, & Pitt. I can put up with a little cold weather more than I can a little hot weather. Yes, golf may be more limited than the places I have sourced out. But only by about 1 month per year. I probably wouldn't mind that if the rest made up the difference, such as things to do, sports, and a couple of good public universities nearby. Looks like NY & Philly get the best weather of these 4 cities, however I'd have to be concerned about the cost of living. Roommate might be an option.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
I like Charlotte and I like Jacksonville when I was there. Charlotte is a huge banking hub so I don't think finding a job will be that hard. Uptown (downtown) seems pretty active and vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.