U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 AM
 
22 posts, read 29,727 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Ok, this is slightly embarrassing because obviously I didn't pay attention in Geography class. I am thinking of moving from Georgia to a city that doesn't get much snow. Let me explain. Georgia is horribly humid in the summer, however, there are some southern States that get hot, but it's not suffocatingly hot....the heat just isn't the same. I am looking for something similar in the north. I'm looking for a city that doesn't get quite as cold as others.

I can deal with some snow, just not an area that gets hundreds of inches a season. Keep in mind that when it snows here, the city shuts down practically and grocery stores are ransacked because everyone is planning on staying inside. I have heard that Seattle would be an option, but I don't know how true that is. I am more interested in the northwest than northeast.

I guess I want a complete change of pace because I am trying to make a new start. I'm partial to smaller towns with a good standard of living, lots of activities and things to do. I will be working for myself from home.

I know this is a weird question, but I would appreciate any guidance or advice someone can give me. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 AM
 
21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Reputation: 19632
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviewtoathrill View Post
Ok, this is slightly embarrassing because obviously I didn't pay attention in Geography class. I am thinking of moving from Georgia to a city that doesn't get much snow. Let me explain. Georgia is horribly humid in the summer, however, there are some southern States that get hot, but it's not suffocatingly hot....the heat just isn't the same. I am looking for something similar in the north. I'm looking for a city that doesn't get quite as cold as others.

I can deal with some snow, just not an area that gets hundreds of inches a season. Keep in mind that when it snows here, the city shuts down practically and grocery stores are ransacked because everyone is planning on staying inside. I have heard that Seattle would be an option, but I don't know how true that is. I am more interested in the northwest than northeast.

I guess I want a complete change of pace because I am trying to make a new start. I'm partial to smaller towns with a good standard of living, lots of activities and things to do. I will be working for myself from home.

I know this is a weird question, but I would appreciate any guidance or advice someone can give me. Thank you!
Bear in mind the Pacific Northwest while milder in terms of snow and cold, is frequently overcast and rainy. If you're anywhere near sun dependent it could be a miserable existence for you. If you're trying to get away from extended humidity, find a place that's sunny and not clobbered by lots of snow check out the Denver area. The Denver area is actually sunnier than Florida and gets considerable less snow than what you would think, around 60 inches a season which is spread out from October through April. The area is well equipped for snow removal so you won't experience the widespread panic or bad road conditions you currently find in Georgia. Check out the northern suburb of Broomfield which sits halfway between Denver and Boulder. It's a somewhat self-sufficient suburb (not a bedroom community as much) which offers quite a bit to do in terms of social and recreational opportunity. City & County of Broomfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviewtoathrill View Post

I can deal with some snow, just not an area that gets hundreds of inches a season.

Thank you!
Check out Chicago. We get tens of inches of snow, never "hundreds of inches."

You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,698 posts, read 4,534,237 times
Reputation: 2906
Chicago doesn't get as much snow as it's "east of the great lakes" counterparts. It does get a little colder than cities like NYC, Boston and Philly though. Of course, there is the occasional freak blizzard like this past winter, similar to the one NYC and Pittsburgh (2010) had. Definitely worth checking out. Philly and DC may be good options too, as they tend to get a little warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
Reputation: 3827
For what it's worth, I was joking about Chicago as a recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,029 posts, read 2,465,469 times
Reputation: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviewtoathrill View Post
Ok, this is slightly embarrassing because obviously I didn't pay attention in Geography class. I am thinking of moving from Georgia to a city that doesn't get much snow. Let me explain. Georgia is horribly humid in the summer, however, there are some southern States that get hot, but it's not suffocatingly hot....the heat just isn't the same. I am looking for something similar in the north. I'm looking for a city that doesn't get quite as cold as others.

I can deal with some snow, just not an area that gets hundreds of inches a season. Keep in mind that when it snows here, the city shuts down practically and grocery stores are ransacked because everyone is planning on staying inside. I have heard that Seattle would be an option, but I don't know how true that is. I am more interested in the northwest than northeast.

I guess I want a complete change of pace because I am trying to make a new start. I'm partial to smaller towns with a good standard of living, lots of activities and things to do. I will be working for myself from home.

I know this is a weird question, but I would appreciate any guidance or advice someone can give me. Thank you!
Unless you're next to a mountain or a Great Lake, most places aren't going to see hundreds of inches of snow.

Based on your climate description, I would consider places in the lower Midwest as well, maybe somewhere like central Indiana or Ohio. But if you're considering the Pacific Northwest and are partial to smaller towns, there are a lot of smaller to mid-size cities in Washington and Oregon outside of Seattle and Portland. Admittedly, though, I don't know much about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM
 
56,666 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Reputation: 12521
I'm wondering if places like Moscow and Pocatello in Idaho Pullman and Cheney in Washington, Corvallis Oregon, Logan or Ogden in Utah would work? Maybe Laramie Wyoming, Fort Collins Colorado or Cedar City Utah too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,698 posts, read 4,534,237 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
For what it's worth, I was joking about Chicago as a recommendation.
Why? It gets less snow than the Northeast. Although I'm not sure what the OP wants in terms of warmth, other living amentities, etc. The pacific NW could also be a very viable option if that is the type of climate they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
 
22 posts, read 29,727 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bear in mind the Pacific Northwest while milder in terms of snow and cold, is frequently overcast and rainy. If you're anywhere near sun dependent it could be a miserable existence for you. If you're trying to get away from extended humidity, find a place that's sunny and not clobbered by lots of snow check out the Denver area. The Denver area is actually sunnier than Florida and gets considerable less snow than what you would think, around 60 inches a season which is spread out from October through April. The area is well equipped for snow removal so you won't experience the widespread panic or bad road conditions you currently find in Georgia. Check out the northern suburb of Broomfield which sits halfway between Denver and Boulder. It's a somewhat self-sufficient suburb (not a bedroom community as much) which offers quite a bit to do in terms of social and recreational opportunity. City & County of Broomfield
Thanks so much for this, Kyle! I knew Seattle would be rainy and as a gardener, it was kind of tempting to consider living there for that reason alone. lol I am used to sun, so if it rained 60% of the time, it would be a challenge. I think I could do Denver and I'd never heard of Broomfield. Great info, I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
 
22 posts, read 29,727 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Check out Chicago. We get tens of inches of snow, never "hundreds of inches."

You're welcome!

Lovely! I've been in that Chicago traffic though....and I thought Atlanta was bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top