Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 AM

406 posts, read 860,944 times

Advertisements

As the title says, those of you who moved to Tennessee, what was the reasons/factors for choosing Tennessee over the other states nearby (Kentucky, North Carolina or Virginia)

Now I am mostly interested into thoughts as to Eastern Tennessee (Knoxville, Chattanooga and Northeastern Tenneessee), but I would also be curious as to the state as a whole. I'm kinda of curious and was just wondering, so I thought I would ask in order to find out some answers.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 AM

15,961 posts, read 20,920,058 times
Several years ago I decided that the area you are talking about was a good fit for me in a lot of ways.
The climate is near perfect IMO, cooler summers in the higher elevations and some snow in the winter but not in overwhelming amounts. Lots of opportunity to enjoy nature, beautiful scenery etc.

Ruled out KY pretty quickly because there aren't any larger cities in the parts of the state that interested me, not much in the way of jobs. I like rural, but I want a decent size city nearby too.

Western NC was ruled out for similar reasons, the only larger city is Asheville which has few job opportunities, a higher COL, and from the little bit of research I did I felt like the state likes to tax everything to death.

Southwest VA and northeast TN are very, very similar to each other in many respects. I took a good hard look at the cities running along the I-81 corridor and had a hard time deciding between them.
Ultimately I settled on northeast TN because of the lack of state income tax. I didn't see any reason to pay extra to the state of VA for the privilege of living within their borders when I could get the same lifestyle living in TN.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,537,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ultimately I settled on northeast TN because of the lack of state income tax. I didn't see any reason to pay extra to the state of VA for the privilege of living within their borders when I could get the same lifestyle living in TN.
But don't forget you pay taxes on your groceries and you have a crazy high sales tax in TN!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,266,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
But don't forget you pay taxes on your groceries and you have a crazy high sales tax in TN!!!
Well, if you live relatively close to the border, you can always cross the state line to do your shopping, and pay lower sales tax. If you live in a state with an income tax....well...it's kind of hard to avoid.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM

15,961 posts, read 20,920,058 times
Quote:
Hmmm, 7% taxes on food vs 6% taxes on my income.
Also lower property taxes and no personal property tax to speak of.
Not to mention if 'relatively close' to the border means within 5 or 10 miles I might have taken advantage of that too.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,537,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well, if you live relatively close to the border, you can always cross the state line to do your shopping, and pay lower sales tax. If you live in a state with an income tax....well...it's kind of hard to avoid.
Uhh, well for most people in TN that's just too far to drive just to get groceries. You end up spending a lot per month on gas just to do that, not worth it. Hopefully these people that drive far to get groceries have a cooler to put their food in.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,266,011 times
Quote:
Uhh, well for most people in TN that's just too far to drive just to get groceries. You end up spending a lot per month on gas just to do that, not worth it. Hopefully these people that drive far to get groceries have a cooler to put their food in.
That's why it only really applies to border counties. That's why I said "relatively close" to the border...i.e. Bristol, Kingsport, Clarksville, Chattanooga, etc, etc.

But besides that, Tennessee has a very low overall tax burden, despite the sales tax...lower than any state around it.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 AM

37,740 posts, read 40,793,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
As the title says, those of you who moved to Tennessee, what was the reasons/factors for choosing Tennessee over the other states nearby (Kentucky, North Carolina or Virginia)

Now I am mostly interested into thoughts as to Eastern Tennessee (Knoxville, Chattanooga and Northeastern Tenneessee), but I would also be curious as to the state as a whole. I'm kinda of curious and was just wondering, so I thought I would ask in order to find out some answers.

Thanks in advance.
How old are you? What's great for me in retirement might not be great for a 30 year old with a young family.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 AM

406 posts, read 860,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How old are you? What's great for me in retirement might not be great for a 30 year old with a young family.

Sorry missed that question, 45 is the age. Retirement is not an immediate option, maybe a few years down the road if my pension holds together. (Course what are the odds of that)

Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Appalachian TN has larger cities, more jobs, and more amenities than the Appalachian regions of NC, KY, and VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.