U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had a choice to move to one of these places, which would you choose ?
Colorado Springs, Colorado 18 30.00%
Ft. Collins, Colorado 9 15.00%
St. George, Utah 3 5.00%
Ivins, Utah 0 0%
Washington, Utah 1 1.67%
Pahrump, Nevada 2 3.33%
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 10 16.67%
None of the above options sound appealing 16 26.67%
I know of another place not on the list, which I am posting 2 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 PM

62 posts, read 404,127 times

Advertisements

HELP ME PLEASE !!! I have been analyzing and researching this to death - since I want this next move to be one of my last for a while (the kids are tired of uprooting every few years). I am at the end of my rope to figure out where the best place to move to would be. I would like to know if any of you have been to any of these places (or lived there, even better from that perspective) I would like your thoughts on these towns, and the pros/cons of each. Also, if you could tell me your knowledge on the climate/weather, how sunny is it, education system, friendliness of the people, things to do with children under 12 years of age, etc...
My selection here is based on trying to find somewhere (preferably out west, as I am in upstate N.Y. now and can't stand the harsh cold grey winters) - want lots of sunshine, mild winters (for the most part), dry over humid, friendly area (no snooty towns), safe with low crime rate, good schools, lots for families to do, outdoorsy, politically conservative town, etc.

Here are the things I have come up with. If you know of any NOT on this list, please add them in your response, thanks so much...

In No particular Order:

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Ft. Collins, Colorado
St. George, Utah
Ivins, Utah
Washington, Utah
Pahrump, Nevada
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 AM

304 posts, read 1,303,796 times
I think Boise, ID would be definitely worth your consideration. It is a high desert climate, so that means plenty of sunshine most of the year. The winters are surprisingly mild because the city sits in a valley protected by the nearby mountains. Boise hardly gets any snow. We lived there for 5 1/2 years, and only had to shovel our driveway once. The winters do have these things called inversions where it can be grey for several days in a row in the valley, but you can drive up to the mountains and be above it and back in the sunshine. These inversions don't usually last too long and you have the sun back again.

Boise is very family friendly, and has a relatively low crime rate. I always felt safe walking around downtown. The schools are good, but some of the schools in the suburbs are overcrowded because of growth. The schools in the city itself are really good; you don't have to go out to the suburbs to find good schools there.

Boise isn't as conservative as the rest of the state, but overall it is still politically conservative (wasn't my cup of tea, but may work for you).

The city is also very family friendly and there are ton of activities for everyone. There are plenty of outdoor activities. The Boise River runs along the south edge of downtown, and there is a greenbelt that runs along it for quite a length of it. There are a lot of great parks along the greenbelt/river. The city is nestled right up to the foothills too. You are a quick drive away from Bogus Basin (an area ski resort).

Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,738,640 times
Of that list, I would go with Fort Collins. It's a great sized town, not too big, not too small, not too far from Denver. There's a major state university there, so there's a lot of interesting things to do. Still fairly conservative and family friendly. A very green city with a lot of vegetation, especially for Colorado. Winters could be cold, but cold and sunny at the same time. Colorado Springs could work too, although you'd want to go on their forum and find the best part of town for you.

I can't believe I saw Pahrump, NV on that list. Are you absolutely out of your mind? Yuck!!! That town is probably one of the worst places to live in America, especially if you have kids. Some of the most backward rednecks you could ever imagine. There are legal *****-houses in Pahrump, for god's sake! Even Las Vegas would be more family friendly than that.

St George, UT (and Washington)-- great town if you happen to be Mormon, otherwise I'd pass.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 PM

Wow, No I had no idea Pahrump was a redneck town - I never have been there, but was looking for somewhere in that region with nice weather, lots of sun and came across the website (chamber of commerce) - never knew it was a bad place to raise kids (thanks for informing me, and here I thought it was going to be somewhat 'old fashioned and rural' in a good way...

No, I am not Mormon - so as far as this part of Utah, it is something of a draw back for me (as from what I see on the statistics 75% in St. George are Mormon) and being in the minority is not always appealing....but I love that dry sunny heat, and red rock views, etc.

This is a lot harder decision than I could ever imagine.

Does anyone know if Ft. Collins gets more snow/colder than Colorado Springs ?

I knew a girl who lives in Boise, ID and tells me how much she can't stand it and can't wait to get out of there. In her words, " The people are about as ignorant and/or stupid as you can get"...

Well any more input on this topic of discussion would be great...thanks.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,738,640 times
Okay, keikekai, glad to help you, but first and foremost, what do you do for a living? Are you married or a single parent? If you are married, what does your wife/husband do for a living? That is probably the most basic piece of information to start out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
Wow, No I had no idea Pahrump was a redneck town - I never have been there, but was looking for somewhere in that region with nice weather, lots of sun and came across the website (chamber of commerce) - never knew it was a bad place to raise kids (thanks for informing me, and here I thought it was going to be somewhat 'old fashioned and rural' in a good way...
Well, I think Pahrump is pretty bad. Many others share that opinion. There's nothing "old fashioned" about it except for old fashioned racism, drinking, gambling, and [word I can't say here]ing. Why would go out of your way to bring your kids to a town that is known for having legal brothels? For retirees of a certain kind, Pahrump MIGHT be a good choice, not for kids though. Of course, I'm sure there are people who like it there-- and it's probably a matter of time until I am flamed by someone on this forum who lives there. But you know, Chamber of Commerce websites can make anything look good!

Second, just about anywhere in the southwestern US is going to get a lot of sunshine (with the exception of the Pacific coast). Nevada, Arizona, southern California, Utah, New Mexico, far West Texas, much of Colorado-- throw a dart on a map and chances are it will be a sunny, dry place. And there are all kinds of cities and towns in this region, of all shapes and sizes, of all different kinds of cultures. The ones you listed in the poll are barely skimming the surface. I'd recommend finding a good book, maybe one of those Lonely Planet travel guides, covering the southwest, and do some more research about the huge variety of places out here. A road trip will be helpful too. A lot of people move out here sight unseen, and end up crying to get back home in no time. You have to know what you're getting into first.

Quote:
No, I am not Mormon - so as far as this part of Utah, it is something of a draw back for me (as from what I see on the statistics 75% in St. George are Mormon) and being in the minority is not always appealing....but I love that dry sunny heat, and red rock views, etc.
I like St George too. I went there earlier this summer to see Zion National Park. Totally beautiful. I personally would not live there due the the religious demographics, but that's just me. And St George, hands down, is 1000% percent better choice than Pahrump, NV.

Quote:
Does anyone know if Ft. Collins gets more snow/colder than Colorado Springs ?
That I don't know. You could try asking on the Colorado forum, they might be able to help you out. I can say that the entire Front Range of Colorado (the area from Colorado Springs to Denver to Fort Collins) without a doubt gets cold in the winter and gets snow. It's still very, very sunny, but they do get a winter. Arizona, New Mexico, southern Nevada, southern California, and El Paso, TX will have a much milder winter, if that's what you seek. However, if you ask me, Colorado is a better place to live and have a family than any of those states-- even though the climate is not as balmy. That's a HUGE generalization, I know. But I think it's true.

Quote:
I knew a girl who lives in Boise, ID and tells me how much she can't stand it and can't wait to get out of there. In her words, " The people are about as ignorant and/or stupid as you can get"...
Never been to Boise, but I know a bunch of people from there and they are not stupid. Again, don't be so naive.

Try to be more specific on what kind of job you're looking for and what your needs are. Then maybe we can help you get your mind back.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:25 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,835 times
This is a silly academic exercise. Visit several places and make a decision. I've never been to Oklahoma, so I can't tell you about Norman. I have been to Seattle and Pittsburgh and Akron and Baltimore, etc etc though, so I could rank those.

Including some place in Nevada that you have never seen makes about as much sense as ... nonsense.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:50 PM

You asked info. on me - well I am a single mom of 3 kids under the age of 12(going through a divorce currently) and I home school my kids (that is my job in addition to being a full time mom). That leaves me with anywhere to live for that matter - I am not having to go somewhere or not go somewhere because of a job. Everyone is coming down on me about Pahrump - I Had NO idea it was a racist place. I visited Vegas 2 months ago and my realtor talked about that town (she has a 2nd home there and never informed me of the types of people there - I assumed it was like Las Vegas)....

In answer to the last posting - NO this is NOT some 'silly little exercise' I don't think it's nonsense to put a town on the list I haven't been to. What's silly is your ridiculous answer.....
Many people move places they have never been to before (due to work transfers or whatever) it happens ALL THE TIME - I am doing research to narrow down choices - which is a heck of a lot smarter than trying to visit every town in the U.S.A. (who has time or money to do that????). I am trying to see if anyone out there who has lived in any of these places has any input so I can make a better decision.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 PM

19 posts, read 54,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
HELP ME PLEASE !!! I have been analyzing and researching this to death - since I want this next move to be one of my last for a while (the kids are tired of uprooting every few years). I am at the end of my rope to figure out where the best place to move to would be. I would like to know if any of you have been to any of these places (or lived there, even better from that perspective) I would like your thoughts on these towns, and the pros/cons of each. Also, if you could tell me your knowledge on the climate/weather, how sunny is it, education system, friendliness of the people, things to do with children under 12 years of age, etc...
My selection here is based on trying to find somewhere (preferably out west, as I am in upstate N.Y. now and can't stand the harsh cold grey winters) - want lots of sunshine, mild winters (for the most part), dry over humid, friendly area (no snooty towns), safe with low crime rate, good schools, lots for families to do, outdoorsy, politically conservative town, etc.

Here are the things I have come up with. If you know of any NOT on this list, please add them in your response, thanks so much...

In No particular Order:

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Ft. Collins, Colorado
St. George, Utah
Ivins, Utah
Washington, Utah
Pahrump, Nevada
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I couldn’t help you as I am thinking of moving to the NC or Alabama areas. I have a daughter (and 2 grands) in Montgomery, ALA (toooo slow, Birmingham maybe) and some out-laws in Washington, NC (even slower). I am 52 and work as an Emergency Medical Technician in a hospital. The south appeals since I've lived in Montgomery and Shreveport. As of 10am today, Philadelphia "the City of Brotherly Love" with it's approximately 1.5 million residents has had its 267th homicide. I leave on a two week vacation the end of September and I will be job hunting in both Alabama and North Carolina. I wish you luck in your choice(s).

Last edited by twinreg1; 08-25-2007 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,129,879 times
I've never been there but I've heard great things about Colorado and Colorado Springs.

The others on the list don't sound all that appealing to me- esp. Ft. Lauderdale. Yuck.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:53 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,465,913 times
[quote=keikekai;1356505

In answer to the last posting - NO this is NOT some 'silly little exercise' I don't think it's nonsense to put a town on the list I haven't been to. What's silly is your ridiculous answer.....
Many people move places they have never been to before (due to work transfers or whatever) it happens ALL THE TIME - I am doing research to narrow down choices - which is a heck of a lot smarter than trying to visit every town in the U.S.A. (who has time or money to do that????). I am trying to see if anyone out there who has lived in any of these places has any input so I can make a better decision.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I started out researching VA, WV, KY, TN, and NC and finally ended up with an area of the country I would like in southwest VA after considering weather, ethnicity, crime, beauty, cost of living, etc. I had never been to any of the places I was researching and this last June, I took a trip to the area I decided on per the web and City Data. I loved it and one day, I hope to make the move if all goes well.

I wish you the best of luck as I know how totally maddening it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or