U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 PM

13 posts, read 14,331 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are family (with two boys: 5 and 15 yo) willing to pay up to $1000 for rent for 3+ bedrooms condo or home. Being close to the water or beaches is important for us. Good schools are important too - ESL classes are a must. Job is not an issue (freelancing) or maybe in graphic and web design area.

My question is what are some positives and negatives in the differences between Central Florida (Tampa Bay Area) and NC when comparing? Which place is more preferable on this limited budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,784,209 times
I'll have to say NC, because waterfront property in FL is quite expensive, especially in an area that is safe for kids.

You can live somewhere inland with that budget, and then drive to the beach.

You can check realtor.com or other RE websites to see pricing for waterfront, or close to water in FL. That would give you a better idea as to what is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
Hi everyone!

We are family (with two boys: 5 and 15 yo) willing to pay up to $1000 for rent for 3+ bedrooms condo or home. Being close to the water or beaches is important for us. Good schools are important too - ESL classes are a must. Job is not an issue (freelancing) or maybe in graphic and web design area.

My question is what are some positives and negatives in the differences between Central Florida (Tampa Bay Area) and NC when comparing? Which place is more preferable on this limited budget?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM

378 posts, read 724,077 times
North Carolina is high on just about every b"best places" list this year, Florida is mostly absent with the exception of Money's retirement list. NC has beach, mountains and 4 seasons, mild winter. Florida has 6-9 months of muggy humid summer.

You can find very cheap housing in both states, but FL has more areas because prices have fallen farther. FL has no personal income tax, sole owner and subchapter s corp.'s included. Home equity, IRA's, etc you assets are better protected by state law in FL. You have a huge advantage being self employed. If you can live anywhere, there are better choices than Tampa.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
I have homes in both states and my recommendation for a family would be NC. While FL doesn't have an income tax, its property taxes are high and landlords pass on those taxes through the rent. So, there's no real escape from them.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 PM

13 posts, read 14,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have homes in both states and my recommendation for a family would be NC. While FL doesn't have an income tax, its property taxes are high and landlords pass on those taxes through the rent. So, there's no real escape from them.
Thanks!
Which city would you recommend in NC with balance of not so high rent costs and good schools?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
Thanks!
Which city would you recommend in NC with balance of not so high rent costs and good schools?
Raleigh and Charlotte are the most popular. Raleigh in particular is noted for its schools, but neither are close to the water. You'd probably want to check out Wilmington if being by the beach is a high priority for you, but I don't know how the schools are there.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,672 times
I live in Brevard County, FL. You can find nice homes only 10 min. from the beach. You can live beachside for what you are willing to pay in rent. Most home beachside (where you can literally walk to the beach) are from the 1960s-70s so some are renovated, others are not. It's about 2.5 hours from Tampa. Brevard County is rated very good for schools. Plenty of ESE programs.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Sorry for all the misinformation, but being close to the beach in the Tampa Bay area is not expensive (within your price range) and there are plenty of safe options with great schools near the beach as well. Look into the Pinellas County cities of Clearwater, Oldsmar/East Lake (East Lake Woodlands), Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs or Palm Harbor. All have A-rated public schools in safe, family-friendly neighborhoods about 15 minutes from the beach.

Visit Clearwater Florida, FL
City of Oldsmar, FL - About Oldsmar
Safety Harbor FL - Official Website
Welcome to Tarpon Springs!
Palm Harbor, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.