U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvine View Post
You're not impressed? I guess all you guys look at are a bunch of 70-80 story towers. San Jose loses out on this.
No, Seattle has its own culture going for it. I'm not going to give a downtown that has no skyline a top pick. Bottom line. And I won't just give a downtown with a skyline and no culture a top pick either. All the ones I selected have very vibrant culture. San Jose is for all intents and purposes a suburb of San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

80 posts, read 105,976 times
NY
Chicago
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Boston
New Orleans
Seattle
Portland
San Diego
Baltimore

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM

182 posts, read 397,461 times
While not so impressive with skyscrapers, IMO downtown Fort Worth is one of the most charming, clean, safe, and liveable downtown districts in the country. It includes many options for dining, shopping, and entertainment, and has numerous parades, festivals, and other community events throughout the year.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,489,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah but, I don't care about seeing another list of the biggest downtowns in the US once again on CityData... There's about 5 million threads arguing if Boston or San Francisco has the 3rd, 4th, or 5th best downtown or if Houston or Philadephia is the 5th most important ciy and so on. It's been done to death. I understood New York was the densest and most urban center in the US when I was five years old just from watching television, years before I'd actually go there. People rank cities on here like it's a junior high pissing contest.

The fact that Greenville, South Carolina even has a decent downtown(if it actually does) is actually more interesting to me at this point. I don't really believe it's among what I'd find to be the top 10 downtowns in the country--but it's just a list.
I agree, if the topic is "10 interesting downtowns that fly bellow the radar." If it is 10 best, I think realistically, we need to think about the biggest cities in the country. Greenville isn't one of them. But I do agree that there are lots of really cool smaller cities with great downtowns. One of my favorites is Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotabrett View Post
I don't mean to dis southern California, but downtown Santa Monica is more like an outdoor shopping mall than a proper downtown, and downtown L.A. is extremely dirty and difficult to get around.

How does one define "downtown New York City"? Is it all of Lower Manhattan?
All of Manhattan...where the skyscrapers start and where they end is what i'd consider downtown.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Downtown New York is not all of Manhattan, not by a long shot. It's quite litterally, down at the lower end of the island (as opposed to uptown, which is heading up toward the Northern end). I'm not sure where others would cut it off, but probably only bellow the 20s would be downtown.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Downtown New York is not all of Manhattan, not by a long shot. It's quite litterally, down at the lower end of the island (as opposed to uptown, which is heading up toward the Northern end). I'm not sure where others would cut it off, but probably only bellow the 20s would be downtown.
Then I guess I'd have to say it has two downtowns, both of which individually are very impressive. Once the World Trade Center complex is finished at least, Lower Manhattan will regain its impressive skyline status. New York is really its own animal entirely. And as far as culture goes, New York easily has one of the richest and most sophisticated in the U.S.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post

I always thought of DT Manhattan as below Houston (Pronounced House ton)

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I always thought of DT Manhattan as below Houston (Pronounced House ton)
That works. I don't have a clearly defined border in my mind. Basically I'm thinking that by the time you get to Little Italy, So/Ho, Greenwich, etc., you are no longer Downtown.

One issue in discussions like this is how to define the term in cities with multiple CBDs, New York being an excellent example. Most top-tier cities have numerous CBDs, each of which might seem to be a "downtown" in a second tier city, but wouldn't necessarily be thought of as such by locals. I wouldn't consider Longwood, Back Bay, or Kendal to be downtown, but each of them is a significant business district in its own right, that might easily look like a downtown area to a visitor.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times

Philly - Walnut St Foot Traffic | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phila_boy/58266349/ - broken link)

Sledding in Philly | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7749864@N08/4338775380/ - broken link)

sidewalk restaurant | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38578460@N00/3278976741/ - broken link)

PIFA | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoaitsaimz/5889528834/ - broken link)

crowd shot | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/19695834@N00/352439985/ - broken link)

Rittenhouse Flower Market, Liberty Place | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/baccarati/2492051979/ - broken link)

love park- free for a day (almost) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/frameshift/21163154/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.