U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 PM

535 posts, read 295,236 times

Advertisements

What do you look for in a town when you visit it? I am speaking of moving to a town what do you look for? I know for me some towns just give me that vibe that I don't want to move there by the way they look or the things I see just curious what are some things you should look for? I have 4 towns on my list in NE Tn and 1 in middle east Tn and 1 in SE Tn. So the 4 up top are gonna take me longer to look through see what there is that I like and don't like.Just wanted to get some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 AM

21,286 posts, read 30,595,867 times
For many I would say it's how well kept up the town appears to be, having an active downtown area and an appearance of having things to (nice restaurants, shops, parks, etc). There are more subtle attributes after that which vary considerably by the individual. Overall in this day and age a progressive feel would be something one would probably want to look for.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 PM

6,995 posts, read 12,549,467 times
I would say in any community I have learned to look for an actual mixture of people and viewpoints. I do not like majority ruled type places. I would look for a place, that is not polarized by politics and extreme views. Those places I have learned show strong overtones of being oblivious to others. As well as disrespectful and intolerant to others of various views. So disproportinate type populations are not for me.

I believe in now more than anytime in my life to look for Red Warning Flags concerning locales. Such as how the population interacts with each other. Is there alot of undesirable type behavior in public places every single day, and its treated as an acceptable part of the culture. Is there much police prescense in public places, or again is behavior that is out of line being allowed every day. Is chronic high unemployment and lack of proper funding for schools, considered the norm for the area for years. Not necessarily with the current economic conditons. Does the area focus on (though important) but not the most important issues. Such as Portland focusing on enacting a total ban on plastic bags yet shows no interest in employment, education or its high levels of poverty. That to me is a serious concern and a huge Red Warning Flag on what to look for anywhere. That being how the community focuses, on what is needed to run a society that is prosperous and is for everyone. Not just certain individuals. Otherwise that to me is an unwelcoming place to live. Especially if your in the category that is doing the primary tax funding for this type of community.

I now more than ever really trust my instincts when I feel them guiding and pulling me. A place is not right and wonderful for everyone just because others say so.

I do not trust locales that have had heavy marketing campaigns, listing all their so called pros but never any cons. Or just make a comment or two "Yes it rains here but its so green" As if weather is all one has to consider when moving someplace. In other words alot of oblivious type people. I become leary of places with large amounts of visitors who comment. "Your the first person I have ever heard of that isn't in love with this place". As if I am an alien from another planet,that must have something wrong with me. Probably because I live in reality and not base life on tour books and people that can't see beyond them. I have come to understand that some locales attrack a certain kind of person and visitor, where others seem to attrack varieties. There is a reason for that, and its a reason that should be taken seriously when considering moving there.

I have learned to look for what I need in an area, and not feel like there is something wrong with me because I don't need or see what all these others do in a locale. Again certain areas are more prone to attrack a certain type of indiviudal, and I need a mixture of people and society.

I advise everyone to adopt this philosophy. One size does not fit all when considering locales or anything for that matter. Our instincts and our gut feelings are a gift we should all take seriously when making any decision.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 PM

6,995 posts, read 12,549,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
What do you look for in a town when you visit it? I am speaking of moving to a town what do you look for? I know for me some towns just give me that vibe that I don't want to move there by the way they look or the things I see just curious what are some things you should look for? I have 4 towns on my list in NE Tn and 1 in middle east Tn and 1 in SE Tn. So the 4 up top are gonna take me longer to look through see what there is that I like and don't like.Just wanted to get some opinions.

This is a very good thread and very important I might add.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 PM

284 posts, read 423,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would say in any community I have learned to look for an actual mixture of people and viewpoints. I do not like majority ruled type places. I would look for a place, that is not polarized by politics and extreme views. Those places I have learned show strong overtones of being oblivious to others. As well as disrespectful and intolerant to others of various views. So disproportinate type populations are not for me.
This more than anything else... Since I'm middle of the road in most of my viewpoints, any town that leans heavily one way or the other would be a terrible fit for me. Like right now, I'm in a very conservative town in an extremely conservative state, but it's okay because the campus isn't quite as conservative... If it weren't for this pocket of moderation, I'da been outta here a long time ago.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM

535 posts, read 295,236 times
Thanks for the responses and the rep. I am trying to narrow down our list of towns and also see what to look for since there are 4 towns just in NE Tn we plan to look at in 1 day time so need to make the most of my trip.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM

208 posts, read 365,676 times
Hi Oddball84,

I think you've gotten some unusually good advice and insights, thus far. You haven't really stated much about your wants, needs and priorities, though I assume that since all your places of interest lie within the same portion of one state, you may have identified something about that area which especially appeals to you. Anyway, it is definitely an advantage to have all your places of interest so close together for the purpose of visitation.

I think the advice to follow your instincts or gut feelings is particularly good. Beyond that, I would say, find a public gathering place like a cafe', town square or shopping center/mall and quietly observe the atmosphere and the manner in which people interact. What kind of feeling does the place give you and why? I would suggest doing this on more than one occasion, as the dynamic of the place, as well as your mood/perceptions may change from one day to the next.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or