U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 PM

70 posts, read 123,223 times

Advertisements

My list of cities that I'm interested in...

-Atlanta, GA
-Charlotte, NC
-Denver, CO
-Jacksonville, FL
-Louisville, KY
-Pittsburgh, PA
-Portland, OR
-Seattle, WA

Main keys to choosing a new home: public universities, decent weather, average or better economy, cost of living (slightly), vibrancy/night life for singles.

My thoughts:

Atlanta... It's higher on my list. I can play golf more annually than about any other place on my list, and there are many public universities in the area that I can transfer to. It's also below average cost of living. However, I've heard about crime, gangs, etc is high there. Should I be worried about its' economy?

Charlotte... Seems like a neat city with a good sports environment. Would be a great area for golf. But I think it might lack some vibrancy. I'd probably choose Atlanta first due to the selection of universities since Charlotte has one main public university. Plus I'm sure the weather is likely the same?

Denver... I love this city and region. Rockies are awesome, the sports scene is awesome, love downtown Denver and the vibe in the area. UC is right up the road, as is CSU. However slightly higher cost of living and the cold weather tends to drive me away.

Jacksonville... Been to St Augustine/Orlando but never JAX. One main public university in the area. Like the idea of it being at the ocean, and year-round golf weather. Ok for sports environment. But I hear the city lacks energy/night life, which could be because it's not too heavily populated for it's large size area. Uncertain how I feel about Jax without having visited the city. It would be Tampa before JAX, but USF is harder to get into. Maybe Orlando would be a good replacement for JAX, but I'm worried it'd be too hot for my likings without getting those afternoon storms like the coast cities do.

Louisville... Like the area of the country it's in. Been here before and something about KY/TN had the "comfort" feeling to it. Couple of public universities to choose from. Sports scene is so-so. Weather seems to be four seasons, has its hot days, has its cold days. Cost of living is affordable. Kinda concerned that it could get boring at times though.

Pittsburgh... From pictures the city looks neat, with many things to do and a good sports city. The summers wouldn't get too hot for me but the winters I'm concerned about. Also I hear it's gloomy a lot, much like that of Seattle, except with heavier snow. But lots of selections for public universities in the area. Economy seems to be doing well, cost of living seems reasonable. How is the vibrancy/night life here?

Portland... Everything I hear seems great. Except for not having an awesome sports scene. Couple of good public universities nearby. The weather seems one of the best, not really hot during the summers, not too cold in the winters. I hear the vibrancy of the city is good. But I also heard the economy is not doing well, especially for new-coming residents.

Seattle... Seems awesome. Beautiful scenery, awesome sports scene, seems more like a cozy, modern, technology growing city. Economy seems good. Couple of public universities in the area; UW-main campus would be awesome but I see where they are tough on admission. Sounds like a gloomy city for annual golf, although the precipitation is not much heavier annually than my city (OKC). We get downpours with 2-3" of rain type of storms, seems like lighter but more frequent rain there, which I think I could deal with. Rain is soothing to me. Cost of living will concern me.

Maybe I can get some opinions on these cities
My old thread didn't move along very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 AM

128 posts, read 185,351 times
Id pick atlanta.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM

208 posts, read 364,780 times
Hi thegolfer86,

First, my sincere condolences in that you are currently my neighbor. Can't wait to get out of here myself! Coincidentally, all but two of your choices are also high on my relocation list. I've done tons of research on these places and yet, based on your notes, I don't think I could tell you much that would be of interest and that you don't already know.

However, I see the recurring theme throughout your post about really wanting a place with multiple public universities. Not trying to be a wise, four-legged, long-eared beast of burden here but you since you can only attend one of them at a time, wouldn't it make since to start narrowing down your choices by intensively researching those schools and finding out which ones meet your individual needs best? I can see that you really want to make the most out of your university experience but that time is fleeting, in the larger scheme of things. Do you plan to make the place where you attend university, your long term or permanent home? If so, you might want to research the status of your desired field of work in the various places you are considering, as well.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM

7,384 posts, read 13,247,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegolfer86 View Post
Portland... Everything I hear seems great. Except for not having an awesome sports scene. Couple of good public universities nearby. The weather seems one of the best, not really hot during the summers, not too cold in the winters. I hear the vibrancy of the city is good. But I also heard the economy is not doing well, especially for new-coming residents.

Seattle... Seems awesome. Beautiful scenery, awesome sports scene, seems more like a cozy, modern, technology growing city. Economy seems good. Couple of public universities in the area; UW-main campus would be awesome but I see where they are tough on admission. Sounds like a gloomy city for annual golf, although the precipitation is not much heavier annually than my city (OKC). We get downpours with 2-3" of rain type of storms, seems like lighter but more frequent rain there, which I think I could deal with. Rain is soothing to me. Cost of living will concern me.
Uhm, I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that PDX weather "seems one of the best"... then calling Seattle "gloomy". If Seattle is gloomy, PDX is just as. They have the same weather pattern (glorious and dry summers, wet winters, 9 months of cloudiness, same amount of precipitation).

The bigger question that needs to be asked is... Are you a sun lover? Because if you are, then the 3 months of summer isn't going to cut it. [We are not even guaranteed a summer every year.] After a year, you might need to start supplementing with Vit. D. I notice that (with the exception of Pittsburgh) that the other cities are sun-strong.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Dropped a couple of cities and added new ones...

-Atlanta, GA
-Boston, MA
-Charlotte, NC
-Denver, CO
-Pittsburgh, PA
-Portland, OR
-Providence, RI
-Seattle, WA

Boston and Providence... I don't know much about Providence. But it seems perfect being within a driving trip to NYC and Boston. Providence does have Univ. of Rhode Island-Providence (as well as URI-main 30 mins away) & Rhode Island College. Boston has Univ. of MA - Boston, plus a ton of private schools. So within 75 miles there would be 4 state supported university options, which is as good as any of the other cities. Maybe someone can fill me in about living conditions & the economy in these areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
Hi thegolfer86,

First, my sincere condolences in that you are currently my neighbor. Can't wait to get out of here myself! Coincidentally, all but two of your choices are also high on my relocation list. I've done tons of research on these places and yet, based on your notes, I don't think I could tell you much that would be of interest and that you don't already know.

However, I see the recurring theme throughout your post about really wanting a place with multiple public universities. Not trying to be a wise, four-legged, long-eared beast of burden here but you since you can only attend one of them at a time, wouldn't it make since to start narrowing down your choices by intensively researching those schools and finding out which ones meet your individual needs best? I can see that you really want to make the most out of your university experience but that time is fleeting, in the larger scheme of things. Do you plan to make the place where you attend university, your long term or permanent home? If so, you might want to research the status of your desired field of work in the various places you are considering, as well.
Hello neighbor! At this point in my life it doesn't matter much which college I finish at, as long as I feel like I can respect the school enough to which that is. Traditional state universities I tend to prefer most. The cities on my list won't be listed if there wasn't a university in the area I would feel good attending. The 'multiple' thing is mainly about having more options, in case I don't get accepted into a certain school for some reason. As for a permanent home, at this point in my life I can't say. I've realized life changes as you get older, one day I may decide I'm ready to settle down but I have no clue where that may be or when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Uhm, I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that PDX weather "seems one of the best"... then calling Seattle "gloomy". If Seattle is gloomy, PDX is just as. They have the same weather pattern (glorious and dry summers, wet winters, 9 months of cloudiness, same amount of precipitation).

The bigger question that needs to be asked is... Are you a sun lover? Because if you are, then the 3 months of summer isn't going to cut it. [We are not even guaranteed a summer every year.] After a year, you might need to start supplementing with Vit. D. I notice that (with the exception of Pittsburgh) that the other cities are sun-strong.
You're likely correct as far as the weather goes. I quickly typed all of my first post out so I'm sure they will be some ill-advised comments, as you have pointed out. On average Portland does get more sunshine and less precipitation annually than Seattle does, but only by a slim margin. I'm sure if I were to spend a decent amount of time up there I'd understand how irrelevant comparing/contrasting weather conditions of the two cities are.
Anyways, I like sunny days AND I like cloudy days. So I don't think the overcast would affect me much as it would others. My perfect day is about 65-72 degrees, partly cloudy, and a gentle breeze.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Dropped a couple of cities and added new ones...

-Atlanta, GA
-Boston, MA
-Charlotte, NC
-Denver, CO
-Pittsburgh, PA
-Portland, OR
-Providence, RI
-Seattle, WA

Boston and Providence... I don't know much about Providence. But it seems perfect being within a driving trip to NYC and Boston. Providence does have Univ. of Rhode Island-Providence (as well as URI-main 30 mins away) & Rhode Island College. Boston has Univ. of MA - Boston, plus a ton of private schools. So within 75 miles there would be 4 state supported university options, which is as good as any of the other cities. Maybe someone can fill me in about living conditions & the economy in these areas?
...excuse me for adding the two cities on here. I found reasons to take them off my list.

So I'm down to five cities now...
Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, Portland, & Seattle. (I also took Charlotte off).

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 PM

ugghh, Atlanta's job economy...

Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM

7,384 posts, read 13,247,097 times
Honestly, since you've got it narrowed down to 5 cities, you might as well go into their city forums and ask for information there. I'm sure if you mention the other cities and ask if the people there have any experience to compare, some might pop up.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,571,807 times
Quote:
...excuse me for adding the two cities on here. I found reasons to take them off my list.

So I'm down to five cities now...
Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, Portland, & Seattle. (I also took Charlotte off).
I would too scratch off ATL....Denver, Pittsburgh, Portland, Seattle.....Now you have a comparable Horse Race.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Honestly, since you've got it narrowed down to 5 cities, you might as well go into their city forums and ask for information there. I'm sure if you mention the other cities and ask if the people there have any experience to compare, some might pop up.
that's a good idea. I imagine I can find many old threads about one of these cities vs. another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I would too scratch off ATL....Denver, Pittsburgh, Portland, Seattle.....Now you have a comparable Horse Race.
Yeah, it's just the economy of why it would be scratched off. But if it gets better then it would probably be at the top of my list. Granted, traffic is terrible there too. But traffic in Seattle probably won't be any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or