Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Doc View Post
We want snow, but not so much that it traps us inside completely for 3-4 straight months.
It's not typically the snow that keeps people inside. It's the cold. If you can handle the cold, then you can be outside. But that's easier said than done.

Snow is actually not a big deal in the vast majority of U.S. cities, because roads get cleaned up relatively quickly (a few days at most even for the worst snowstorms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
It was very manageable in Missouri (short Winter, enough snow to keep you entertained, but not enough to really make you hate winter. Long Island was also reasonable.

Snow gets old after awhile. First fallen snow is beautiful. two or three days later is is slush, mud and black with exhaust dust.

I really hate winter. One of the reasons I love California - If I want to play in the snow, I can take a short drive up to the mountains, then come back to nice 70 degree beach weather.
To you it might seem short. Most of Missouri has winters that start in late November and last through the end of March. I agree that snowfall is fairly moderate, but it's capable of really snowing. (Just look at last winter and the winter of 2006-2007). Typically we will get a bad winter once every couple of winters. The good news is that in general universities will not call off school regardless of how much it snows. Schools more easily do. At least in St. Louis, we have a great winter crew. I will say though, that compared to Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, and Cleveland, our winters are not much to hate. Indianapolis, Columbus, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Louisville are cities with moderate but not severe winters.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:39 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Bostons numbers are decivingly low because its measured at Logan, which is surounded by water and one of the lowest elevations in the city, so it has rain when 90% of the city is getting plastered by heavy wet snow.

But 50 inches is managable i think.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It also depends on factors like whether its dry/powder snow ( ) or wet snow ( ); as well as how much time you're willing to devote scraping ice off your window, shovel snow off driveway and the sidewalk (which legally is suppose to be homeowner's responsibility), in some cases, the roof. If the place gets so much snow, would you be interested in spending $$$ in getting a snowblower. Also, what kind of heat will be warming up the house (wood, pellet, gas, oil) and what are the costs of those? What would you do if you have electricity black-out like what's happening in the NE?

Also... factor in how often the city gets snow. Seattle and its people cannot handle snow at all-- traffic havocs (please U'tube "Seattle snow crashes"), unprepared planning, bad drivers and the hills. But of course, Seattle doesn't generally get snow. Whereas places like Missoula, Minneapolis handles beautifully because they see it every winter. Schools/Gov. shut down if there's roughly an inch accumulation in Seattle-- whereas its not the norm for Minneapolis/Missoula to do that until there's some serious blizzard. Seriously consider cities that *can* handle snow. There's nothing more annoying than being in a city that can't.
All very true, there is so much that goes into determining how well it can be handled.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Doc View Post
I know this is somewhat of a subjective set questions, but here goes...

My wife want to spend a year somewhere that we will have both a colorful autumn and a snowy white winter. !
Depends on the water content of the snow, topography, and the size of the city. I think 40 to 50 inches of snow a year is manageable.

Since you are from the west coast I would recommend trying a place like Spokane, WA or Salt Lake City. The snow in these two places tends to be pretty dry.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Omaha averages just above 26 inches of snow a year.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Omaha averages just above 26 inches of snow a year.
St. Louis averages about 22.5, but there is a catch. Central Midwest cities like Omaha, Des Moines, and Chicago typically have highs and lows that are much closer to their averages...winters generally are pretty consistent, although it seems for cities on the Great Lakes and Minneapolis, they have been consistently getting winters as of late far in excess of their averages. Lower Midwest cities such as St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Columbus generally deviate more from their average snowfalls. For example, St. Louis can sometimes get only about 12 inches of snow one year, and over 30 the next. This doesn't happen usually to the same degree in Omaha. Another difference appears to be that cold spells last longer in Omaha...snow stays on the ground all winter generally. St. Louis, and the other cities in the Midwest on similar latitudes, generally experience frequent but brief thaws that quickly go back to extreme cold. Snow cover doesn't last usually more than a few days, however ice is a bigger problem here typically. So the numbers don't always tell the whole truth.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Albuquerque gets a little snow every year and has a cool fall, yet its typically sunny. Mabye Nashville or Atlanta for changing leaves and not so much snow?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
In case you were considering Denver for this, I wouldn't, simply because we don't get an autumn, and/or/but we've already had three snowstorms this year (0.5", 5", and 7" {just on Wednesday}).

A manageable amount of snow is the kind you get when it's been warm and it only sticks to the grass. Other than that (at least in Denver), you have to think about it when it snows over 2".

We average about 60"/yr, but it doesn't pile up and get dirty. And once all of the snow from the previous storm melts, it snows again. This goes on from October to the first week of May(ish). I like how often/much it snows here, but I wish it wouldn't melt so fast.

This is my fifth winter here, and I've never been "trapped inside". Never had to get snow tires or use chains, but I do have a 4x4 Jeep. The 7-incher we had the other day closed about 3/4 of the area school districts (ours stayed open -- for the poor kids to eat supposedly). Commute times triple.

Here's a video playlist of my commute home on Wednesday (click "Play All"):
Nov 2 11 Snow in Denver

Here's a link to this year's Denver snow thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ow-thread.html

And last year's:
The Unofficial 2010-2011 Denver Snow Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree and second this. Living in an area where they expect and can handle the snow makes a difference.
I agree, too. I lived in Syracuse for a year, at a time when they averaged 110 inches of snowfall per winter. The schools never closed that winter.

I visited Knoxville, Tennessee for part of the same winter I lived in Syracuse. Knoxville had no equipment for removing snow from the roads. A 7-inch snowfall caused the schools to close for a week and many businesses closed for a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.