U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM

655 posts, read 790,592 times

Advertisements

Here are my three favorite in order:

(1). Pennsylvania. I live here now, in the great city of Pittsburgh. PA is scenic, historic, diverse, and offers something for everyone. We have beautiful mountains (Appalachians, Alleghenies), rivers, lakes, gorgeous farmland, and very cool historic cities, both big and small. We have four distinct season, with Fall being very vivid. PA has a plethora of historic sites all over the state dating back to colonial times. We're very affordable for the average person and can offer a decent quality of life. PA, and specifically Pittsburgh, is one of the few places in the country where someone of modest means can afford to buy a modest home in a dense urban environment, in a fairly safe neighborhood, and live the city lifestyle that would cost quite a lot to live in most other places. Crime is relatively low here. The people, for the most part, are down to earth, decent folks.

(2). West Virginia. WV is probably the most beautiful state I've ever seen, even prettier than PA. The mountains are absolutely gorgeous. The people in WV are very pleasant, down to earth, salt of the earth types. When I was visiting last, I talked with many of the locals, and I told them how beautiful I though their state was--they were tickled pink to hear that coming from an out of stater. Crime is very low. The weather is nice, as it isn't too extreme one way or the other. West Virginia gets a bad rap, but it shouldn't. True, it's a poor state, but just because it's poor doesn't make it bad--or make the people bad. Like PA, it's a very historic state. It's also extremely affordable, even more so than PA. If PA didn't exist, I'd probably live in WV.

(3). Virginia. Like PA, another state that has something for everyone is Virginia. VA has mountains and rivers, farmland, big and small cities, and a coastline. It's probably our most historic state (although this judgement is obviously subjective) having been the site of the Jamestown colony. VA has many awesome historic sites, including Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Jamestown, colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown settlement, and Bacon's Castle. There's a lot of amazing historic architecture in VA, especially the 17th and 18th century plantations in the Tidewater region. Also like PA and WV, VA has four seasons and beautiful Fall foliage, particularly in the Appalachian mountains. Western VA probably has the perfect climate--not too cold, not too hot, and a decent amount of snow, but not too much. VA has friendly, salt of the earth type people, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
So far on my list:

1. Arizona. To me, this state offers almost everything. All of my family is here, a great proximity to everything within a few hours drive max, it's still affordable, big city, people are generally laid-back and social, and a few other factors. This state offers a ton of beauty, besides the obvious Grand Canyon, we have Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone, San Francisco Peaks, Sedona, Superstition Mountains, Mt. Lemmon (southernmost ski resort on the continent!), just in general a lot of places to see. This place is really underrated, mainly because of the heat, but that's why it's still affordable and it's pretty great. My only qualm separating this state from being my favorite is well, the heat. I tolerate it really well, but if I had my choice, I'd live somewhere with snow.

2. Alaska. I could not explain how much I liked Alaska when I was there. I'd need to upload my entire photo album to do that. Not to mention all of the outdoorsy things I could be doing there. But even though it is more beautiful there than Arizona, this didn't top number one because Anchorage is a little too small for my likings. If Anchorage was a bigger city, I'd probably just move here, despite not knowing a single soul. It'd be worth it too me.

3. Hawaii. For similar reasons as Alaska, really, despite the weather being even better in Hawaii. While there isn't a ton to see (If I lived there it would get old, anyway), Hawaii offers a ton of outdoors activities which is even better. Big reasons why Hawaii wasn't higher on the list is because it is unaffordable and too touristy in a lot of parts of it, and that I would like a variety of seasons.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,254,368 times
I was born in Mass, and I've lived in CT, VT, HI and I currently reside in NY. I've visited or been through about 40 or so states. Obviously the it would be hard for me to determine a favorite when I only spent a day in certain states...either way, here are my favorites:

Massachusetts
Vermont
New York

Old 01-01-2014, 06:25 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I liked Kansas looks wise and people wise but I was allergic to it. Something in the air. Cried everytime I went outdoors. My eyes just poured water.
Might've been the ragweed. I know my allergies used to be terrible around late summer in Kansas. I think the winds on the Great Plains stirs everything up as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,200,566 times
Not in order:

NY
MN

... and third will either be: WA, CA or PA. Probably WA though.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,031,372 times
California
Texas
Florida

Old 01-02-2014, 06:42 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
California- Spent over 4 years there. No other state comes close in terms of natural beauty/diversity of landscape/climate, etc. but also has cities like SF, LA, and San Diego
Michigan - highly underrated state. Benefits from being surrounded by the Great Lakes and is wholly unique in this regard. As far as I know there is nowhere else in the world that has such an extensive inland peninsula... charming beach towns, stunning scenery especially in the UP, etc.
Arizona - would never live there personally, but still makes my top 3. Sedona holds a special place in my heart.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM

737 posts, read 1,411,572 times
Of the places I have either lived, or visited often.

Oregon: Amazing geographical diversity west to east from ocean to desert, and all points in between.

California: How can you not love California seriously?

Minnesota: Varied geography (lakes, forest, bluffs, small mountains, prairie, and of course a ton of weekend getaway towns about 2-3hours away from the cities.

Honorable Mention:

Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

Last edited by sandlapper; 01-03-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post

California: How can you not love California seriously?
California has some truly amazing scenery. I'm specifically thinking about about Big Sur and the Central Coast. Probably one of the sweetest memories of my life was eating oysters on a beach in Tomales Bay. For me, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit (though I wouldn't want to live there).

With that said, the Central Valley, Imperial County, and the Inland Empire are my absolute least favorite places of the country, which (IMO) brings down the state as a whole. I even find Napa and Sonoma to be depressing in the summer when everything is dried up and dead. But that's just me.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:12 PM

68 posts, read 186,190 times
1. California
2. Hawaii
3. Utah

I am from Vancouver, Canada, so Washington is not on the list because I see evergreen trees and mountains all the time. I would put Florida on the list, but other than the beaches and palm trees, it is not a very nice state. New York, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Colorado would come very close on this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.