U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:16 AM

5,905 posts, read 6,335,997 times

Advertisements

1. Maine
2. Pennsylvania
3. Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:15 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,782,260 times
Top 3:

1. Arizona: I love the desert and Arizona's landscapes are amazing. I also love Tucson and Phoenix, as well as Sedona and the Flagstaff area. Plus you have the Grand Canyon, just unbelievable. Mild weather in winter, heat in most spots in the summer, but sunny. I like it.

2. Hawaii: The geographic physical awe of the Hawaiian islands are unmatched by many on earth. Stunning mountains, volcanoes, crystal clear water, huge surf, waterfalls and laid back tropical life.

3. California: So much stunning diversity in geography from Mediterranean climate to desert to mountaintop. Some of the best US cities in LA, San Fran and San Diego.

Runners-up:

4. Wyoming: Stunning geographical beauty. How could it not be with both Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks in the state. The mountains and nature in Wyoming are unreal.

5. North Carolina: Best mountain views and range in the eastern US. Amazing hikes, good skiing, waterfalls and nature trails. Beautiful coastline, mild climate overall and booming, nice big cities in Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham.

6. Tennessee: My home state. I didn't realize how beautiful a state it was until I travelled all over the US a lot as an adult. Tennessee has some of the most picturesque mountain views, rolling valleys, and beautiful hikes I've been on in the east. Huge tourist state in its own right, with lots of things to see and do. Also, love Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 AM

299 posts, read 124,307 times
Oof! If you let me pick four, this would be easy. Okay, since I can only pick three:

Pennsylvania: The cultural linguistic, and geographical diversity of this state is highly underrated, yet everyone knows about the Pennsylvanian culture. Among the reasons I love the state include: its rich history at almost every turn of this country's pivital moments, the beautiful mountainous terrain (just check out places like Jim Thorpe and Wellsboro), and its two fantastic, livable cities: Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

Maine: Nothing says romantic summers like Maine. I love the coast of Maine, littered with lighthouses and all its small harbors. I love the food culture, from the seafood (lobster!) to the blueberries. I need to explore its interior mountain region more.

New Mexico: I lived here for two years. It really is the land of Enchantment. IMO, nowhere in the USA is more distinct that NM. The culture there really sets it apart from the rest of the culture. The scenery and outdoors opportunities are outstanding. The cuisine is delicious and distinct from any other (New Mexican =/= Mexican). The weather is great, and you can get snow and amazing skiing in the mountains, then get back to lower elevations where it is typically 50-60 degrees in the winter.

My fourth, because I must:

New York: It is my home state. The thing with NY is its nature gets overlooked. I personally grew up in the Finger Lakes Region and it is beyond beautiful there. Everyone needs to try some Hermann J. Weimar Riesling. The Adirondacks are beautiful, green and lust. The lakes and high peaks are outstanding. And then there is NYC, my favorite city in the USA to visit. I'd never want to live there, but it never fails to deliver a fun and memorable visit to my friends/family who live there.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:21 AM

8,569 posts, read 12,683,353 times
Virginia
Florida
Pennsylvania

Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 AM

44,955 posts, read 36,253,688 times
I'm going to update this since I haven't commented in several years - and things change.

My top favorite state, which has a strong showing here also, is Virginia. That hasn't changed since I lived there and then lived in the Chesapeake Bay area several times over the years. To me, Virginia really does have everything - except for family, but still - wow, four seasons, the mountains, the coast, the history, it's picturesque and just a great state overall.

My second favorite state is Texas. I love the mix of cultures, the vibe which is a mixture of southern, cowboy, Big Business, no nonsense, independent, strong - I just love the overall attitude and feel of the state. Also, being a southern girl, the heat doesn't get to me and I consider it a fair trade off for fabulous winters and springs. Oh and the food. OMG.

My third favorite is hard to nail down, because I like a lot of states and could be happy in any number of them. So my favorites, in no particular order, are:

NC
TN
OH
GA
MD
ME

I don't care for urban sprawl or living in a big city, but I do like having a big metro area close by. I wouldn't want to live more than two hours from a large metro area, but I definitely don't want to live IN one. Also, though I love OH and ME, I dislike long, cold, icy winters a LOT so I can't see myself living in either of those states but that's not really the question. I love Ohio's friendly people, the diversity of it's metro areas, it's bucolic countryside and picturesque farms and communities, it's Americana feel. I love Maine's coastline (OMG), it's adorable small towns, the seafood, the unique far northeast feel to it, the totally different topography, plants, etc and it's proximity to the really cool history of the NE.

Now the other states I listed as favorites - I could live in any of them all year round and be happy as a clam because in addition to interesting cultures and history, and beautiful regions, they are also a lot warmer than OH and ME!

Old 03-03-2019, 05:47 PM

146 posts, read 120,044 times
Massachusetts
California
New York

Old 03-03-2019, 06:32 PM

7,603 posts, read 9,461,621 times
VT, MA, ME

Other favorites include the Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison-Minneapolis quad, along with the state of California ( for vacations)

Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 PM
sub

801 posts, read 414,923 times
No order:
Maine
Wisconsin
Utah

Old 03-04-2019, 06:52 AM

4,269 posts, read 5,489,973 times
Illinois, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, with a close fourth being Maryland.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 AM

44,955 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Lots of people seem to really like Virginia and Maryland. I do too. Interesting! What a great area of our country!

I've never been to Wisconsin but I'd love to visit there. Any season except winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.