U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:30 PM

417 posts, read 127,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
On the Minnesota nice topic-

In general I have discovered that states that market themselves on kindness and hospitality, are usually fake about it. Minnesota and many southern states are guilty of this. It may have been true at one point, but now it's a farce (in general, not on individual levels).

Whereas states that are often portrayed as rude and/or dangerous are much more full of genuine people. New York, West Virginia, Michigan, Vermont, etc.
I had the exact same experience with West Virginia. When they joined the Big 12, I planned a road trip to Morgantown the first time Iowa State played there. I'd heard horror stories about how they were the worst fans in college football, and I couldn't have had more fun, or been more blown away by damn nice they were.

People buying our drinks in restaurants just for wearing our road gear, inviting us to tailgates, the list goes on. Just incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
This is mostly right, except that only Minnesotans in the Twin City Metro think Minneapolis-St. Paul is the center of the universe. Most of the rest of us have a love/hate relationship with the cities (see slang term "cidiot").

One thing I have noticed out here is neighbors hardly EVER interact. I still don't even know some of my neighbors' names and I have reached out.
People in Rochester have the Minneapolis thing going on, but with themselves. A lot of folks in Rochester think it has more going on than anywhere in Iowa.

Duluth/North Shore has always had a different vibe than the rest of the state, to me. Kind of a hippy-meets lumberjack thing. Always enjoy that area.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM

42 posts, read 11,257 times
Colorado - Mountains and diversity of terrain

Utah - Most scenic desert in my opinion

California - from Sequoia up to Lake Tahoe and the 1 up the coast

New Hampshire is my favorite in the east.

I haven't been to Hawaii or Alaska yet.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:03 PM

881 posts, read 438,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
People in Rochester have the Minneapolis thing going on, but with themselves. A lot of folks in Rochester think it has more going on than anywhere in Iowa.

Duluth/North Shore has always had a different vibe than the rest of the state, to me. Kind of a hippy-meets lumberjack thing. Always enjoy that area.
I use that description, too

Glad you like it up here!

Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,403,441 times
California and Washington are definitely numbers 1 and 2 for me. Even though I live in Colorado, I am pretty neutral about the state overall, and I can't say it cracks the top 3. I have a weird fascination with Illinois, so I have to give it the third spot at this point.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 PM

7,814 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Louisiana
West Virginia
South Carolina

Runners up : Tennessee, North Carolina, and Colorado

Old 03-07-2019, 03:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 981,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Lots of people seem to really like Virginia and Maryland. I do too. What a great area of our country!
Amen.. I've lived in both, and have love for both. But I think Maryland would fall outside of my top 3..

I'll go Virginia, West Virginia, & California.. (Washington close behind CA).

Old 03-07-2019, 08:17 PM

3,191 posts, read 2,639,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Culturally, Wisconsin blows Minnesota out of the water...
Well this was one thing I never noticed in my trips there as small towns are small towns there's not much 'culture' besides relatives and their friends that I was able to pick up on. Supposedly WI the most extroverted state. I was trying to figure out what was so special about the geography or metrics of WI that people liked, but three of these answers pointing to the people in the are make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
This is mostly right, except that only Minnesotans in the Twin City Metro think Minneapolis-St. Paul is the center of the universe. Most of the rest of us have a love/hate relationship with the cities (see slang term "cidiot").

One thing I have noticed out here is neighbors hardly EVER interact. I still don't even know some of my neighbors' names and I have reached out.
Yeah, MSP and the rest of MN are two very different places. I've picked up on the love / hate from my relatives in the New Prague area, southeast of the metro. In that area, there's a strong farm presence where everyone seems to know everyone and there's a lot of small social get togethers where people bring the hotdish and bars and beer and chit chat for hours. It seems like a slower pace but very social vibe. I imagine that all changes in the cities.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Well this was one thing I never noticed in my trips there as small towns are small towns there's not much 'culture' besides relatives and their friends that I was able to pick up on. Supposedly WI the most extroverted state. I was trying to figure out what was so special about the geography or metrics of WI that people liked, but three of these answers pointing to the people in the are make sense.

Yeah, MSP and the rest of MN are two very different places. I've picked up on the love / hate from my relatives in the New Prague area, southeast of the metro. In that area, there's a strong farm presence where everyone seems to know everyone and there's a lot of small social get togethers where people bring the hotdish and bars and beer and chit chat for hours. It seems like a slower pace but very social vibe. I imagine that all changes in the cities.
Yeah, I don't mean "culture" as in "cultural amenities". I mean it in the sense of I prefer the Wisconsin culture significantly.

There are small towns in Minnesota that carry that vibe (they're all over the Midwest), but it seems more universal in Wisconsin, and the larger towns and cities still carry that friendliness, which seems to die in Minneapolis or Rochester.

A great way to see the difference between the two states is to visit Rochester, MN and LaCrosse, WI. They're only an hour apart, but they highlight the differences very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.