Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM

26,373 posts, read 46,217,550 times

Advertisements

Camden County, Elizabeth City, NC looks like a winner to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM

633 posts, read 1,634,734 times
Around Cape Cod in Massachusetts would be better because it can be as mild as Atlanta with a nice 4 seasonal year. Plus the snow storm is not so much of a real snow storm but rain. Should look into it, you may love the New England town feel and not so far from Boston (although you can be farther away if you like) plus near beaches that is so beautiful like the Island of Martha Vineyard.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,716,280 times
Columbia, MD - Nation's most successful planned community
Columbia Maryland
in Howard County, MD - Maryland's #1 school district and nationally ranked.
Columbia is almost equal distance between DC and Baltimore, giving the choice of 3 major airports, several sports venues, and easy access to Maryland MARC train, DC Metro and Baltimore Metro.
Great landscaping all around the area. Quiet communities. Great hospitals, not to mention near Baltimore where John's Hopkins is located. Easy access to Annapolis, MD on the Chesapeake Bay.
Crab Cakes, Oysters and Blue Crabs gallor!!!
Weather almost the same as anywhere from Columbia, MD down to Atlanta...
Low crime.
Cherry Blossoms bloom in Spring time.
LOTS of trees for shade in the Summer heat.
A kaleidoscope of color during the Fall.
Almost guaranteed SOME snow every Winter, but rarely a lot.
http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/im...olumbia-md.jpg

Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 PM

538 posts, read 2,450,234 times
Toms River Township / Brick Township NJ fits all of these criteria. Brick always comes up in the top 5 safest places in NJ. I wouldn't leave my house unlocked anywhere, but its pretty safe there. Lots of places to shop, including a mall. Very close to the ocean. Snows about 25" - 30" a year. Its also the center of several nearby 55+ communities so healthcare is really big there.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM

16 posts, read 44,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think it meets most of your criteria, except that it's not near the coast of a large body of water. It's actually surrounded by mountains as it's smack in the middle of Appalachia.
Sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Sounds like the BEST place for you would be:

Manassas, VA
Fairfax, VA (Fairfax County)
Rockville, MD (Montgomerey County)
Gaithersburg, MD
Germantown, MD
or Columbia, MD (Howard County)

GREAT communities, all 4 seasons, not TOO much snow around the area, Manassas/Gainsville area is about 1 hour's drive from the mountains, less than an hour from DC. Chesapeake Bay Coast is near. Driving distance from VA Beach. Public transit. Low crime. Fairfax County, VA regularly is the best school district in America. Great Food. Lots to do. Check those places out...
I'm definitely considering all of your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Camden County, Elizabeth City, NC looks like a winner to me!
It's such a gorgeous place - I swoon at Victorian houses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Around Cape Cod in Massachusetts would be better because it can be as mild as Atlanta with a nice 4 seasonal year. Plus the snow storm is not so much of a real snow storm but rain. Should look into it, you may love the New England town feel and not so far from Boston (although you can be farther away if you like) plus near beaches that is so beautiful like the Island of Martha Vineyard.
Living near Cape Cod would be amazing, but I don't think my budget would allow for that. Though I didn't mention it in my original post, I'm looking for a duplex/multi-family or single-family house with an in-law apartment for under $250k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Columbia, MD - Nation's most successful planned community
Columbia Maryland
in Howard County, MD - Maryland's #1 school district and nationally ranked.
Columbia is almost equal distance between DC and Baltimore, giving the choice of 3 major airports, several sports venues, and easy access to Maryland MARC train, DC Metro and Baltimore Metro.
Great landscaping all around the area. Quiet communities. Great hospitals, not to mention near Baltimore where John's Hopkins is located. Easy access to Annapolis, MD on the Chesapeake Bay.
Crab Cakes, Oysters and Blue Crabs gallor!!!
Weather almost the same as anywhere from Columbia, MD down to Atlanta...
Low crime.
Cherry Blossoms bloom in Spring time.
LOTS of trees for shade in the Summer heat.
A kaleidoscope of color during the Fall.
Almost guaranteed SOME snow every Winter, but rarely a lot.
http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/im...olumbia-md.jpg
Another option. I have too many options now! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Toms River Township / Brick Township NJ fits all of these criteria. Brick always comes up in the top 5 safest places in NJ. I wouldn't leave my house unlocked anywhere, but its pretty safe there. Lots of places to shop, including a mall. Very close to the ocean. Snows about 25" - 30" a year. Its also the center of several nearby 55+ communities so healthcare is really big there.
It reminds me a lot of where I live now, which isn't a bad thing, but I want a change of pace.

So it comes down to:

-Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Whispering Pines/Aberdeen, NC

I should mention that NC in general is appealing to me because I have family in Charlotte. The Triangle seems like a great place for a day trip and the proximity of Pinehurst would allow for that. I also like the idea of being within a few hours of a beach (although I'd prefer 30-45 minutes!), and even moreso Wilmington.

And the suggestions I am considering:

-Charlottesville, VA
-Manassas, VA
-Fairfax, VA
-Rockville, MD
-Gaithersburg, MD
-Germantown, MD
-Columbia, MD
-Elizabeth City, NC
-Columbia, MD

Does anyone know how these compare to each other? Thanks so much!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM

92,014 posts, read 122,173,887 times
What about Dover or Newark DE? If not those two, there are some other communities in Delaware that may work.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 AM

633 posts, read 1,634,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
Sad, but true.

I'm definitely considering all of your suggestions!

It's such a gorgeous place - I swoon at Victorian houses!

Living near Cape Cod would be amazing, but I don't think my budget would allow for that. Though I didn't mention it in my original post, I'm looking for a duplex/multi-family or single-family house with an in-law apartment for under $250k.

Another option. I have too many options now! LOL.

It reminds me a lot of where I live now, which isn't a bad thing, but I want a change of pace.

So it comes down to:

-Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Whispering Pines/Aberdeen, NC

I should mention that NC in general is appealing to me because I have family in Charlotte. The Triangle seems like a great place for a day trip and the proximity of Pinehurst would allow for that. I also like the idea of being within a few hours of a beach (although I'd prefer 30-45 minutes!), and even moreso Wilmington.

And the suggestions I am considering:

-Charlottesville, VA
-Manassas, VA
-Fairfax, VA
-Rockville, MD
-Gaithersburg, MD
-Germantown, MD
-Columbia, MD
-Elizabeth City, NC
-Columbia, MD

Does anyone know how these compare to each other? Thanks so much!
I have a good friend from Fairfax, VA I would not be in that area for schooling... because of different story she told me when she was in high school... just incase your child are in High School.

Elizabeth City, NC would be nice because I been there and it has a nice town feel to it and very peaceful.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Dover or Newark DE? If not those two, there are some other communities in Delaware that may work.
Dover and Newark are good suggestions, with the edge to Newark, in my book. I note the OP dismissed Salisbury, MD, but there are many great small towns on Maryland's Eastern Shore that seem to offer what the OP seeks, while being just a hop, skip and jump from Annapolis and Baltimore across the bay. Take a look at Easton. If you are willing to be a bit further from a big city (~2 hours to Philly or Baltimore), Lewes, DE oozes charm, is situated where the Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic, and has a well-regarded school system and hospital complex.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,521,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
I have posted here multiple times, but I have yet to make the move. It's been a few years since I decided upon moving to a new town, but I haven't found the town.

I currently live in suburban NY, but I want a change of pace. My suburb is lovely enough (albeit a bit snobbish and very boring), but the surrounding town has a rising rate of crime and this one of the many reasons my family and I want out.

From a town, we'd like (all of high importance):

-An east coast locale.
-Mild weather (traditional autumn weather is our favorite and rainy days are great as long as they're not too rainy). We're used to snow, but we'd prefer minimal encounters with it upon moving. Summers shouldn't be too hot, but they should be warm enough.
-A very low rate of crime.
-To live near a beach or large body of water.
-To have a small-town vibe with big-city amenities like various restaurants, shopping complexes, and movie theaters. I would love a town where everyone knows everyone and it's safe to leave your doors unlocked. I do NOT want to live in or even near a major city, but we don't want complete seclusion.
-A high demand for nurses, preferably in a EM setting. In the same vein, I would like to live within 15-20 minutes of a large medical center.
-A great K-12 school system, either private or public, but preferably secular.
-A low risk of natural disaster striking. Where we're from, snow storms and floods are a commodity and I do not want to deal with this or worse any longer.

Everyone from this forum has been so helpful. I can only hope someone will have the right suggestions! TIA!
May want to look at Chesapeake or Virginia Beach in Virginia. Don't be fooled by their population they feel much smaller than they actually are. Has a lot of your criteria.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,521,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I have a good friend from Fairfax, VA I would not be in that area for schooling... because of different story she told me when she was in high school... just incase your child are in High School.

Elizabeth City, NC would be nice because I been there and it has a nice town feel to it and very peaceful.
Very interesting on Fairfax, VA as far as HS. It is supposed to be the best school system in the country. I think it is overrated but never thought anyone would not want to send their kid there.

I have some knowledge of Elizabeth City, NC from my years in SE Virginia. Not a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.