U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 39,234 times

Advertisements

I have posted here multiple times, but I have yet to make the move. It's been a few years since I decided upon moving to a new town, but I haven't found the town.

I currently live in suburban NY, but I want a change of pace. My suburb is lovely enough (albeit a bit snobbish and very boring), but the surrounding town has a rising rate of crime and this one of the many reasons my family and I want out.

From a town, we'd like (all of high importance):

-An east coast locale.
-Mild weather (traditional autumn weather is our favorite and rainy days are great as long as they're not too rainy). We're used to snow, but we'd prefer minimal encounters with it upon moving. Summers shouldn't be too hot, but they should be warm enough.
-A very low rate of crime.
-To live near a beach or large body of water.
-To have a small-town vibe with big-city amenities like various restaurants, shopping complexes, and movie theaters. I would love a town where everyone knows everyone and it's safe to leave your doors unlocked. I do NOT want to live in or even near a major city, but we don't want complete seclusion.
-A high demand for nurses, preferably in a EM setting. In the same vein, I would like to live within 15-20 minutes of a large medical center.
-A great K-12 school system, either private or public, but preferably secular.
-A low risk of natural disaster striking. Where we're from, snow storms and floods are a commodity and I do not want to deal with this or worse any longer.

Everyone from this forum has been so helpful. I can only hope someone will have the right suggestions! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM

56,680 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Besides the snow, many places Upstate NY would work. You might want to adjust some things in order to find that place you are looking for.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM

7,602 posts, read 9,459,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
I have posted here multiple times, but I have yet to make the move. It's been a few years since I decided upon moving to a new town, but I haven't found the town.

I currently live in suburban NY, but I want a change of pace. My suburb is lovely enough (albeit a bit snobbish and very boring), but the surrounding town has a rising rate of crime and this one of the many reasons my family and I want out.

From a town, we'd like (all of high importance):

-An east coast locale.
-Mild weather (traditional autumn weather is our favorite and rainy days are great as long as they're not too rainy). We're used to snow, but we'd prefer minimal encounters with it upon moving. Summers shouldn't be too hot, but they should be warm enough.
-A very low rate of crime.
-To live near a beach or large body of water.
-To have a small-town vibe with big-city amenities like various restaurants, shopping complexes, and movie theaters. I would love a town where everyone knows everyone and it's safe to leave your doors unlocked. I do NOT want to live in or even near a major city, but we don't want complete seclusion.
-A high demand for nurses, preferably in a EM setting. In the same vein, I would like to live within 15-20 minutes of a large medical center.
-A great K-12 school system, either private or public, but preferably secular.
-A low risk of natural disaster striking. Where we're from, snow storms and floods are a commodity and I do not want to deal with this or worse any longer.

Everyone from this forum has been so helpful. I can only hope someone will have the right suggestions! TIA!
If you're a nurse, then "TIA" means something else entirely.....

I think that you have a few too many demands that can't be met realistically; I think that you would probably want a Mid-Atlantic community near the Atlantic Ocean ( i.e. Annapolis, MD, etc), but otherwise, it would be hard to reconcile all these preferences. Even the Mid-Atlantic will have plenty of hot, humid summer days, and there might be the occasional threat of a hurricane, like Irene of this past summer. ...

Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides the snow, many places Upstate NY would work. You might want to adjust some things in order to find that place you are looking for.
I live in Upstate NY, and I've traveled through every region I don't live in. I do love the Finger Lakes region, but the winters are very brash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you're a nurse, then "TIA" means something else entirely.....
LOL! Indeed it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that you have a few too many demands that can't be met realistically; I think that you would probably want a Mid-Atlantic community near the Atlantic Ocean ( i.e. Annapolis, MD, etc), but otherwise, it would be hard to reconcile all these preferences. Even the Mid-Atlantic will have plenty of hot, humid summer days, and there might be the occasional threat of a hurricane, like Irene of this past summer. ...
I realize that I likely can't find everything I want in a town (i.e. I'd give up a beach for a lake and realize every area has its natural disasters), but a few things are musts. Among them are a healthy job outlook for nurses, great schools, low crime, and reasonably mild weather.

I have considered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic states. I dislike a lot of MD for the most part (traffic is insufferable!), but I haven't traveled completely throughout, so I cannot say for sure. I was looking at Salisbury, MD, but I do not know if it provides the level of safety I'm looking for. Sigh.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,028,213 times
Wilmington, NC

Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM

56,680 posts, read 80,995,527 times
You must be in Rockland or maybe Orange County. Albany and the surrounding area tends to get less snow and there are some lakes close by. Perhaps something like Ballston Spa, Queensbury or Schuylerville could work.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM

892 posts, read 1,931,297 times
I'm sure there are numerous places that fit your criteria all over the east coast. But, I'll just throw a plug out for Charlottesville, VA. It has many of the things you mentioned. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:25 AM

Thanks so far everyone! What does anyone know about Morgantown, WV? It seems like the kind of place I'm looking for (minus the college-town vibe, however ).

Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM

17,277 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
Thanks so far everyone! What does anyone know about Morgantown, WV? It seems like the kind of place I'm looking for (minus the college-town vibe, however ).
I think it meets most of your criteria, except that it's not near the coast of a large body of water. It's actually surrounded by mountains as it's smack in the middle of Appalachia.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM

1,998 posts, read 3,035,696 times
Sounds like the BEST place for you would be:

Manassas, VA
Fairfax, VA (Fairfax County)
Rockville, MD (Montgomerey County)
Gaithersburg, MD
Germantown, MD
or Columbia, MD (Howard County)

GREAT communities, all 4 seasons, not TOO much snow around the area, Manassas/Gainsville area is about 1 hour's drive from the mountains, less than an hour from DC. Chesapeake Bay Coast is near. Driving distance from VA Beach. Public transit. Low crime. Fairfax County, VA regularly is the best school district in America. Great Food. Lots to do. Check those places out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or