U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 AM

4,812 posts, read 5,001,605 times

Advertisements

SACRAMENTO is the mini DC of California. Lots of politicians and their compadres, lawyers, lobbyists, associations, non-profits. Very active community both politically and community-based.

Plenty of "occupiers" in the core, and tea-baggers in the conservative suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
The people category: don't know if the West would be a good fit. People don't move that fast like the East. And, sarcasm, funny or not & sense of humor, all of that would not be as good as a fit like the East. That's been my experience anyways.I think the East better for your people category. Not sure where for warmth.
Yeah I was afraid of that. I have friends from SoCal that I like a lot, but while a city full of Ari Gold's might sound terrible to some, I like people like that. I think i like Boston people the most. Austin people sound cool too. But that is just one factor and for the most part i have found differences among people in various places to be overstated, at least in major cities.

What about the people in Miami? Some of my favorite friends are latino and a couple are from SoFl, but they are also very educated. And they grew up speaking English. Miami's biggest downfall seems to be the people (not that they are bad but just very different from me and it is hard to be clever and sarcastic around ESL folks). Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,681,189 times
Sounds like LA is hitting most of these marks. Weather, outdoor activities--LA is your place if these are what you desire. The ability to own a house near the city core, even in the densest of areas (and they are quite dense, believe me) is something that most cities with comparable density can't say. Downtown is much improved, and Hollywood is mere 15 minutes away via subway. Everything you expect a world class city to have (restuarants, shops, cultural institutions, nightlife) are here, and (sit down for this) a car isn't absolutely required to get to most of them.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Interesting to see that about LA. I visited a couple years ago and was frustrated by the traffic and the fact thatit was so spread out...i did have a great trip, though and there were some absolute highlights to the city. My issue was that all the major law firms are downtown so i would likely work there. Downtown is pretty far away from the beaches, and it seemed like people go to restaurants/bars/house parties in Hollywood, which is also far away (and somewhat spread out), but i was unaware of the subway. The prices, especially for homes, seemed very high as well. Maybe i should reconsider because i absolutely loved the scenery, the skyline, all the stuff to do, the beaches, etc.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:35 PM

And after all this i am really looking into Sacramento. Biggest issues seem to be that the downtown looks older and small. But again no place is perfect.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM

904 posts, read 1,635,766 times
Phoenix may be a good choice.

Doesn't have everything, but it does have a lot of what you're looking for. You'll never get the cold that you're wanting to get away from. There's an NBA, MLB, and NFL team. There's a good hiking and biking scene, there's rafting, plenty of water parks for the summer months. San Diego is only like 5.5 hours for weekend getaways to the beach.

Also, lots of younger professionals are flocking the city in recent years, so there's another thing you're looking for.

So yeah, Phoenix may be a place to look into.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Forgot to mention that Sacramento has a huge biking community. There is a 20-25 long bike trail that follows the American River, which goes through the entire eastern side of Sacramento.

Within the metro, the American River is great for rafting and kayaking. Cold snow melt feds this river and its clean; awesome on hot summer days. World-class white water rafting is available on this same river in the Mother Lode foothills (1hr from Sac).

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM1475 View Post
And after all this i am really looking into Sacramento. Biggest issues seem to be that the downtown looks older and small. But again no place is perfect.
Yes, compared to LA and Atlanta, Sacramento's downtown is small and feels small compared to fast-paced bigger cities and smaller tourist cities. Our skyline is small and we are an "understated" community.

However, I would not call the downtown old. Wine, food, and small higher end restaurants are a big deal especially because we are in the heart of one of the best food and wine growing regions in the nation/world.

Brand new airport, (one of the best in the nation); NBA team. Lively and active community theater scene.

UC Davis is our world-class university (excellent reputation) (10 miles from downtown) in the very cool town of Davis. For big time NCAA college ball CAL is our team (UC Berkeley) or Stanford. Sacramento State is the college right in town.

My favorite thing about the midtown/downtown area is it is very walkable, bikeable, huge tree canopy, Victorian homes (think SF's Victorians).

Sacramento has some big plans for the downtown area and its riverfront: the Sacramento River (the other big river than flows through town).

Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,450,973 times
I also think Sactown fits a lot of what you are looking for.

It is affordable in a region that tends to be quite expensive. It is well situated between SF and Tahoe.

It has a nice downtown, not very big, but urbane. Future plans for downtown will effectively double it as redevelopment is slowly moving forward (slowly because of the recession) on old industrial areas by the riverfront which have been long neglected and abandoned. This will significantly raise Sacramento's reputation and double its downtown size.

Sacramento is also a fast growing city and will likely have a higher standing in decades to come.

It has a very diverse and progressive culinary scene with a wide representation of many cultures reflective of the city's ethnic diversity.

Also rare for such a diverse city, racial tensions are very low and it is ranked as the least segregated city in America.

The city core is politically liberal with a large gay community. The foothill suburbs are more conservative (but not the bible thumping types, mostly the libertarian fiscal conservative types).

Weather is warm. Summers are hot, with several days over 100, but cools down quickly at night. Spring and Autumn ranges around the 70's. The coldest it gets is 50's to 60's in winter. It is a dry mediterranean climate, so even when it is hot, a 100 degree day will always feel less hot than a 80 degree day in New Orleans. Plus, unlike places like Phoenix, Sac cools down quickly at night even in the hottest days.

Downtown/Midtown is full of classical architecture from the stately government buildings to old Victorians, and also some modern steel and glass skyscrapers.

Sacramento is a great outdoorsy city. It's backyard is the true great outdoors with the foothills within 30 minutes of downtown, the mountains within 1 hour, oceans, lake tahoe, all within 1.5 hours. It is also a very bike friendly city.

The only downside is that most people here, like most Californians, are not very big on the edgy, sarcastic bit. I know, because even though I am a Californian, I have more of the dry and sarcastic humor that East Coasters are known for, and many people here don't quite get it.

Last edited by sacramento916; 11-07-2011 at 02:57 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 11:12 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,396,261 times
I can see Sacramento for this couple... Also LA and San Diego if costs allow. Austin or Phoenix probably ideal IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.