Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,384,229 times

Advertisements

I live in an area (Silicon Valley, CA) which is quite suburban, but is also very socially liberal. My area voted around 70% for Obama.

However, I understand that this is an anomaly for an American suburb. Which city has the most socially conservative suburbs, then?

Socially conservative=more family-oriented, more religious, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,922,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I live in an area (Silicon Valley, CA) which is quite suburban, but is also very socially liberal. My area voted around 70% for Obama.

However, I understand that this is an anomaly for an American suburb. Which city has the most socially conservative suburbs, then?

Socially conservative=more family-oriented, more religious, etc.
No suburban parish in the New Orleans metro went less than 63% for McCain.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,860,739 times
Traditionally, most suburbs of Denver have been socially conservative, particularly the western and southern areas. This may have something to do with Denver City's attempt to annex those areas during the busing controversy of the late 1960's. Jefferson County on the west side (52% Bush, 2004) has been trending more democrat in recent elections (45% McCain, 55% Obama), however, Douglas County in the south is still firmly republican and very conservative (58% McCain). Adams to the north has been democrat for some time with Arapahoe to the east about 50-50.

Last edited by Kar54; 11-04-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,849,995 times
Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs are VERY conservative.

Texas in general is a conservative state though its gotten more moderate over the past several years. Cities like Houston & Austin vote strongly Democratic. Dallas still elects Republican mayors, but with the increasing minority population its turning more blue.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs are VERY conservative.

Texas in general is a conservative state though its gotten more moderate over the past several years. Cities like Houston & Austin vote strongly Democratic. Dallas still elects Republican mayors, but with the increasing minority population its turning more blue.
Dallas has had one Republican mayor in recent history.

The city of Dallas is very blue. The burbs are very red. No different from most cities. The obvious exceptions being parts of the west coast and north east.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,005,425 times
I for one resent the assumption that one has to be socially conservative to be family oriented.
okay...that's off my chest.

Based on what I know, I'd say Oklahoma best fits this description since the state didn't have one single county whose majority voted for Obama in 2008.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,351,704 times
Orange County is definitely up there. It isn't all-out suburbia there however.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,687,962 times
There is well off NYC suburb, Darien, Connecticut that once sported a reputation so insular, restictive and uptight that any man who lived there was referred to as "The Aryan from Darien". It's probably improved some since I was a kid. But I'll bet not by much.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,849,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas has had one Republican mayor in recent history.

The city of Dallas is very blue. The burbs are very red. No different from most cities. The obvious exceptions being parts of the west coast and north east.
Dallas has had a total of 4 Republican mayors in the last 29 years.

That averages out to 1 every 7.25 years.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
I seem to recall reading that Atlanta, oddly enough, has some very conservative suburbs. Not sure how socially conservative they are though. All the counties bordering Indianapolis's county went 58%+ for McCain, and in 2004 they went 70% or more for Bush it seems, but again I don't know how socially conservative they are. Cincinnati's suburbs also tend to be pretty Republican and fairly often when they are represented in Congress by a Democratic politician it's a Pro-Life/Anti-Choice Democratic.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...n%20map&st=cse

I think Waukesha, Wisconsin is sometimes or is considered a suburb of Milwaukee. Its county voted 68% for an amendment against same-sex marriage and City-Data indicates it has one of the lowest percents of same-sex couples.

CNN.com - Elections 2006
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c13.html

Although more immediately to mind was Franklin, Tennessee. It looks to be below-average in both unmarried-partners and same-sex couple households. Its county gave an anti-SSM amendment 79% of the vote. That said that's two-percent below Tennessee's average on that vote. Anyway I think Franklin is seen as a suburb of Nashville.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Franklin-Tennessee.html
CNN.com - Elections 2006

Shelby County, Alabama gave their amendment on the marriage issue higher than state-average support. The state average was 81.25%. Much or most of Shelby County is in the Birmingham, Alabama metro. Helena looks high in families, but low in unmarried partner or same-sex-couple households. I think it might be close enough to be a Birmingham suburb.

2006 Referendum Special Election Results - Alabama
http://www.city-data.com/city/Helena-Alabama.html

In California Yorba Linda was the home of Nixon and I remember calculating it had a low sum for "same-sex couple households + unmarried partner households." It might be too far to be an LA suburb. So going beyond California again Wheaton, Illinois is a suburb, specifically of Chicago. I think it was also low in "same-sex couple households + unmarried partner households" and is the home of the, generally, conservative Protestant "Wheaton College." Wheaton alumni include William Lane Craig and Michael Gerson. Outside Protestantism Wheaton is apparently the North American headquarters for the Catholic "Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary."

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-05-2011 at 03:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.