U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 PM

87 posts, read 6,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
c bo in denver?!?!?! i didnt even know he had much of a following outside of sac
Yea, C bo pretty big everywhere in the west heres another night he was out there

YouTube - The White Party
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 22 days ago)

15,079 posts, read 20,208,752 times
The Kansas City metro is not looked at as being that progressive when it comes to coastal cities. For example, mass transportation is only now catching on, and the funding issues for light rail have become an issue again. Some nice redevelopment has occured in the Downtown core in Kansas City, MO but the new arena still has not attracted a good hockey or basketball team. In terms of sprawl this city has got plenty of that. The KC metro has more highway lane miles per capita than any other city in the US. The airport is located well to the northwest of Downtown and takes a long time to drive to if you live south of the city in one of the suburbs.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 AM

24,758 posts, read 27,103,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
what are the stereotypical images evoked by your city, state and its citizens and culture?

for example, the stereotypical images of san francisco are trolleys, rice-a-roni, steep hills, the tv show full house, the golden gate bridge, tree-hugging sandal-wearing hippies, asian computer geeks, chinatown
Since I live in San Francisco, I'll just ditto what you said & add these common misconceptions:
Everyone is gay and/or liberal... lots of us are, but not ALL for goodness sakes! (I'm only one of the above, lol)
We have big earthquakes regularly
It's hot and sunny (some people confuse us with "the other California", LA)
You have to be either a millionaire or homeless to live here, which is something I read often here on CD.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 PM

47 posts, read 220,857 times
Indiana = corn

As the saying goes from one of our very few 'theme parks', Indiana Beach: There's More Than Corn in Indiana!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM

5,609 posts, read 9,790,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's hot and sunny (some people confuse us with "the other California", LA)
That's most of California. San Francisco is pretty much an aberration in that regard. Even Oakland, in the same metro area, is sunny and warm. San Jose is. Sacramento is. Even Santa Cruz (also on the coast) is a bit more so. Don't act like Los Angeles is a world away just because of the weather.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM

321 posts, read 501,429 times
Well, in Florida, you've got the stereotype of the old retirees. And you've got local yokels in North Florida and the angry Mariel Cubans in South Florida. Plus add in the New York transplants all over.

But I would honestly say many people across the state--including myself--don't fall into any of these catagories.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,386,108 times
New York City:
rude
poor
crime-ridden
hot-tempered
nothing but skyscrapers

New York State:
NYC=New York State

Region:
NYC=Northeast

Some of the stereotypes I don't mind. But the rude, crime-ridden, and NYC=New York State sterotypes make the 4th NYC stereotype true.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,386,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Well, in Florida, you've got the stereotype of the old retirees. Plus add in the New York transplants all over.
Same thing. The majority of NYers who move to FL are senior citizens.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM

1,501 posts, read 3,826,902 times
Philly's quite unique, for just one word will suffice:

BOOOOOO!

Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,098,692 times
St. Louis is stereotyped as declining and the most dangerous place in the United States and also by many with no knowledge of the city extending well beyond the city limits of St. Louis, less than six miles from downtown, in one long and continuous city. Both unfair stereotypes, as St. Louis in its metro area ranks 18th largest in the United States and is considerably larger than the overall average city/metro. Its crime, like the Twin Cities, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, and its other fellow Midwestern cities, is confined to just a few isolated pockets in its ghettos, where few people with common sense go unless they live there. It's tiny city limits cause outsiders to look at St. Louis with a very skewed impression without taking into account that St. Louis as a city extends well beyond its true city limits into ST. Louis County, which St. Louis was originally a part of, and that the metro area as a whole has always been growing, and now St. Louis City is growing with it. As a metro area, it is VERY safe, and St. Louis bottomed out about 6 years ago and is beginning to rebound. St. Louis is one of the most unfairly stereotyped cities in the nation and I don't say that because I'm defending it...it is the real truth. Its downtown also gets much undeserved criticism...it is much larger and nicer than most people I've met who've never been there think it is as big as any downtown in the Midwest besides the Twin Cities and Chicago. it is rebounding now with new lofts, condos, and office towers officially planned and some of them already under construction, one set to be as tall the Arch, breaking the old implicit rule that you can't build higher than the Arch. St. Louis City is rebounding, it is undeniable. Now...some good stereotypes....St. Louis is listed as one of the ultimate beer and sports towns as well as being a major frontier city to the West, although Kansas City truth be told is the real Gateway to the West. It is going to become harder to put St. Louis down in ten years, it is beginning to rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.