U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states are southeastern? (Multi-choice option)
Alabama 67 75.28%
Arkansas 28 31.46%
Florida 76 85.39%
Georgia 86 96.63%
Kentucky 27 30.34%
Louisiana 42 47.19%
Maryland 10 11.24%
Mississippi 58 65.17%
North Carolina 79 88.76%
Oklahoma 3 3.37%
South Carolina 85 95.51%
Tennessee 59 66.29%
Texas 7 7.87%
Virginia 61 68.54%
West Virginia 19 21.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Many people don't think of Mississippi as southeastern. To me, it seems too far west. It's kind of a split between southeast and south-central, with more toward the south-central area of the country. Alabama is truly southeastern, as are the other states you mentioned. However, western Tennessee is definitely south-central, in my opinion, and far western Kentucky can either be classified as south-central, or could be part of the lower-midwest.
I wasn't aware that "many" people didn't include Mississippi and Tennessee as part of the southeast. It seems most definitions of the term certainly include them, as do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I wasn't aware that "many" people didn't include Mississippi and Tennessee as part of the southeast. It seems most definitions of the term certainly include them, as do I.
I look at it geographically. While Mississippi and Tennessee are east of the Mississippi, if you were to divide the country into thirds, by longitude, you'd see that Mississippi and western Tennessee fit firmly under the longitude, of which Illinois and Wisconsin fit. In my opinion, that makes those areas central, and being in the south, south-central. Alabama, on the other hand, is on the longitudinal line with Indiana, and I consider Indiana to be in the eastern third of the country. The same with Alabama. Hence, Alabama is southeastern. Most of Tennessee lies in the eastern third, except for western Tennessee, so on the whole I refer to Tennessee as a southeastern state.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
When I think of southeastern, I think of states touching the Atlantic Ocean: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Florida also touches the Gulf of Mexico and the northwestern part is right below Alabama, but overall it is in a southeastely location.

Not all southern states are included because I don't consider the other ones as southeastern.
IMO, your "touching the ocean" definition may be too narrow and is more a good definition of the Southern East Coast states than the Southeast states.

For example, if we carried the same definition over to the West Coast, than only Oregon and Washington could be Northwest states because Idaho, Montana etc. do not touch the Pacific. And only California could be Southwest because Arizonia, New Mexico, Nevada etc. do not touch the Pacific either.

In other words, East or West does not have to mean touching on the coast. You can divide the county geographically in half or even thirds. Look up images for "Southeast" maps and you will see what I am talking about. Most of them include every state east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio-Potomac line, although a few include the South Central states of Louisana and Arkansas.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
I always considered much of NW Mississippi, Western TN, Western KY, NE Arkansas and the Missouri Bootheel part of the Mid-South, which is different than southeastern. I'm from Southeastern Missouri and I consider myself a southerner but a part of the Mid-South. If someone were to ask me if I would consider myself to be southeastern I would tell them no. The Mid-South is a distinct region from the Southeast.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
To the post above mine, my personal belief is that West Virginia should be a part of this map. Most of the state's major cultural affiliations are with Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. It does however have limited ties to Maryland, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Change of mind; I'll throw in Louisiana and Arkansas for South Central. Still leaving VA and KY out of the southeast though. Those are too far north.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,160,886 times
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
FLA
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee

Virginia maybe could fall on the atlantic states
Tennessee Mid South

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,512,499 times
Alabama is not southeastern. In Alabama we have CENTRAL TIME ZONE. Which is why I put it "south central" region. The southEAST is from, like I said, from NC to FL since these states touch the atlantic ocean and are in the eastern time zone.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM

349 posts, read 607,274 times
I think Tennessee and Kentucky are more Upper South states than Southeast states; same for Mississippi who's far west to be a Southeast state.
I doubt about Alabama, I'd say both South Central and Southeast states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or