U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states are southeastern? (Multi-choice option)
Alabama 67 75.28%
Arkansas 28 31.46%
Florida 76 85.39%
Georgia 86 96.63%
Kentucky 27 30.34%
Louisiana 42 47.19%
Maryland 10 11.24%
Mississippi 58 65.17%
North Carolina 79 88.76%
Oklahoma 3 3.37%
South Carolina 85 95.51%
Tennessee 59 66.29%
Texas 7 7.87%
Virginia 61 68.54%
West Virginia 19 21.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I've always considered Louisiana to be part of the Southeast, and the Texas line to be the beginning of the Southwest. I know I'll get a thousand mad responses about how other definitions have been established, but to me, LA is southeast. We have more in common with Georgia than we do with Dallas.
Well, mine won't be "mad" in the least...but more like trying to qualify (as I do quite often! LOL) any notion that Texas (as a whole) is part of a "Southwest" that also includes New Mexico and Arizona. It just isn't.

They are just not the same thing, and notions otherwise (with all due respect) just don't take into account -- IMHO -- the many, many, factors that seperate Texas from the desert/interior Southwest. Texas (and to a goodly extent, Oklahoma) are "Southwestern" only the sense they are the western extensions of the South itself. Personally, I never felt nor studied much of anything that made me feel a part of a "Southwest" identity in the same way folks in New Mexico and Arizona might view it.

I hasten to add this is NOTHING against those states...not at all....it is just they are a totally different "Southwest." There is just nothing really "Southern" about them. Whereas Texas, for all its "western frontier" identity, has always been essentially a Southern state. And many of the things thought of -- for good reason -- as "typically Texan" are, in reality, just the South moved west and the South amplified a bit.

I haven't really travelled the southeast much in the sense of really exploring them...but the times I have briefly been there -- even recognizing certain differences -- I always felt "more at home" in folkways and cultural ways, in say, Tennessee and even Mississippi, than I ever remotely did in New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
I've always considered Louisiana to be part of the Southeast, and the Texas line to be the beginning of the Southwest. I know I'll get a thousand mad responses about how other definitions have been established, but to me, LA is southeast. We have more in common with Georgia than we do with Dallas.
Before I seen this thread, I pretty much saw the Southeast as pretty much as I already said --- every state east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio. But then again, I have been a map junky since I was kid.

But now looking through this thread its obvious that we have a why range of opinions here. For example, I get the impression from your post, that you see the Southeast as a cultural thing. While I see the entire South as a cultural thing and the Southeast (and South Central) as more a geographical thing.

Some others see the Southeast as being restricted to along the Atlantic or just a few states in (like Alabama). At first I thought these posts were dead wrong (they have not looked at any Southeast maps) but then maybe they are looking at the Northeast. The Northeast is very restricted and goes no further west than the western border of Pennsylvania. So maybe the thinking goes, would not the Southeast also be just as restricted?

So it seems to me there is a wide range of opinions here, all of them make at least some sense. All are good. But of course lol, some opinions make more sense than others!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
Quote:
In NO and BR you may see it that way; nothing wrong with that. The parishes bordering Texas look to Texas as being "closer" in many ways than a state east of the river. Since La borders the Miss on both sides I would assume two different perspectives

Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
In NO and BR you may see it that way; nothing wrong with that. The parishes bordering Texas look to Texas as being "closer" in many ways than a state east of the river. Since La borders the Miss on both sides I would assume two different perspectives
But I don't even see how a New Orleanian would see themselves as having a lot in common with any place in the south, except for maybe Savannah.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,235,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But I don't even see how a New Orleanian would see themselves as having a lot in common with any place in the south, except for maybe Savannah.
I have a lot of different opinions of where New Orleans fits in.

On the one hand, I heard it described as "one of the great Southern cities" once. Didn't like that. I, like a lot of locals, still like to think of New Orleans as the most European city in America, the most unique city in America, the city that care forgot, the Paris of the New World.

As far as Texas, you have to admit that the Cowboy Culture, "Howdy", etc. all would strike a first-timer as western traits. The longer I stayed there though the more I realized that the foundations of the culture really are Southern. It's kind of a weird mix.

The state of Louisiana, however, belongs in the Southeast. From Lake Charles, up to Monroe, and down to New Orleans. Just look at people like Huey Long and our current governor. They're all bible-thumping true believers at heart, but we would never elect somebody as disingenuous as Rick Perry.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I have a lot of different opinions of where New Orleans fits in.

On the one hand, I heard it described as "one of the great Southern cities" once. Didn't like that. I, like a lot of locals, still like to think of New Orleans as the most European city in America, the most unique city in America, the city that care forgot, the Paris of the New World.

As far as Texas, you have to admit that the Cowboy Culture, "Howdy", etc. all would strike a first-timer as western traits. The longer I stayed there though the more I realized that the foundations of the culture really are Southern. It's kind of a weird mix.
And just where in Texas were you that this "cowboy culture" was so prevalent? After living here for years and years, I rarely ever see someone even dressed as a cowboy, or anything that's related to that culture, except around Rodeo time. And no one here says "howdy".

You must be describing a different Texas than the one I live in.

Quote:
The state of Louisiana, however, belongs in the Southeast. From Lake Charles, up to Monroe, and down to New Orleans. Just look at people like Huey Long and our current governor.
The Southeast is more of a geographical title than it is a cultural one. East Texas is as southern as Louisiana, and it also has a lot in common with the southeast but that doesn't make it the southeast.

Quote:
They're all bible-thumping true believers at heart, but we would never elect somebody as disingenuous as Rick Perry.
Lol, uh, are you calling Texans stupid? I didn't vote for the man, anyway, but New Orleanians did elect Ray Nagin.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
And just where in Texas were you that this "cowboy culture" was so prevalent? After living here for years and years, I rarely ever see someone even dressed as a cowboy, or anything that's related to that culture. And no one here says "howdy".

You must be describing a different Texas than the one I live in.

[B} Could've fooled me with all the Western wear places in Houston. Ask 20 people what state they're most likely to hear "Howdy" in and 21 will say Texas[/b]

The Southeast is more of a geographical title than it is a cultural one. East Texas is as southern as Louisiana, and it also has a lot in common with the southeast but that doesn't make it the southeast.

I said that I feel Louisiana is southeastern. If that bothers you, tough cookie

Lol, uh, are you calling Texans stupid? I didn't vote for the man, anyway, but New Orleanians did elect Ray Nagin.
We have our share of idiots too, but we don't try to run them for president, we just try to run them out of town.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Could've fooled me with all the Western wear places in Houston.
Maybe next time, instead of counting the stores, you should count the actual people you saw wearing that stuff. Western wear and "cowboy culture" has its presence all over the south. I saw a lot of it in Tennessee.

Quote:
Ask 20 people what state they're most likely to hear "Howdy" in and 21 will say Texas
If you mean "which state the media has wrapped around countless outdated stereotypes and convinced the world that we actually talk like that down here", then yes, the answer would likely be Texas.

Quote:
I said that I feel Louisiana is southeastern. If that bothers you, tough cookie
Why would it bother me? You stated your opinion, and I'm just discussing it with you. No one's getting bent out of shape. I'm not, anyway.

Quote:
We have our share of idiots too, but we don't try to run them for president, we just try to run them out of town.
Texans didn't tell him to run for president. He made that decision alone. And while the polls may or may not reflect this, if you asked the average person in the urban areas of the state, they would likely tell you that they don't support Perry.

The entire south is guilty of electing idiots into office; not just Texas. But if you want to pretend that Louisiana is this bastion of enlightment, that's okay, too.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Oh, and for further reading:

Ray Nagin's New Orleans house is on the market | NOLA.com

I'd imagine he'll be moving to the condo in Dallas where the rest of his family is. Enjoy.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe next time, instead of counting the stores, you should count the actual people you saw wearing that stuff. Western wear and "cowboy culture" has its presence all over the south. I saw a lot of it in Tennessee.

If you mean "which state the media has wrapped around countless outdated stereotypes and convinced the world that we actually talk like that down here", then yes, the answer would likely be Texas.

Why would it bother me? You stated your opinion, and I'm just discussing it with you. No one's getting bent out of shape. I'm not, anyway.

Texans didn't tell him to run for president. He made that decision alone. And while the polls may or may not reflect this, if you asked the average person in the urban areas of the state, they would likely tell you that they don't support Perry.

The entire south is guilty of electing idiots into office; not just Texas.

If you think Texas isn't responsible for projecting its culture onto the whole country via GWB and endless "whole nother country" ads with cowboys in them, you're delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or