Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states are southeastern? (Multi-choice option)
Alabama 68 75.56%
Arkansas 28 31.11%
Florida 77 85.56%
Georgia 87 96.67%
Kentucky 27 30.00%
Louisiana 42 46.67%
Maryland 10 11.11%
Mississippi 59 65.56%
North Carolina 80 88.89%
Oklahoma 3 3.33%
South Carolina 86 95.56%
Tennessee 60 66.67%
Texas 7 7.78%
Virginia 62 68.89%
West Virginia 19 21.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,062,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Southeast
*Maryland
*West VA
*Virginia
North & South Carolina
Georgia
*Florida

South Central
*Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
*Arkansas

Western South
*Oklahoma
*Texas

The states marked with an * may or may not be considered southern but they are and always will be. Welcome to the south.
Save Kentucky, all you have to support your opinion is really just that...your opinion. Any Civil War border state besides Kentucky is going to be at minimum a borderline case, at maximum an uphill argument when trying to decide whether or not it's Southern. You seem to be interested in only pre-Civil War history and not at all interested in post-Civil War behavior, which represents the majority of time these states have existed. I will give you Kentucky...I will even give you West Virginia...both of these states in most areas are associated more with the South, both before and after the Civil War. The rest of the Civil War border states don't...the simple fact they were even as divided as they were during the Civil War to begin with shows they were not really that definitively aligned with the South to begin with. Kentucky only stayed in the Union in my opinion because the Confederacy aggressively attempted to invade it...it professed its "Southerness" loud and clear by 1865. You're going to have to convince older people that I know who were born and raised in Maryland over 50 years ago that they don't know what they're talking about...and some of these people happen to be from the rural parts and went to Harvard, so they're not exactly dumb when it comes to knowing where geographically and culturally they fit. And yes, they know a lot about Southern culture, being less than 100 miles north of it. I don't know about you, but I have visited every Southern and historic border state numerous times now. Combined with several years of my own research, and people backing me up, I would bet I have a pretty good idea of which states belong where.

Last edited by stlouisan; 11-06-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 AM

144 posts, read 269,098 times
When I think of southeastern, I think of states touching the Atlantic Ocean: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Florida also touches the Gulf of Mexico and the northwestern part is right below Alabama, but overall it is in a southeastely location.

Not all southern states are included because I don't consider the other ones as southeastern.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 AM

I just know somebody is going to use recent additions to the SEC to argue this one...my only response is that if they are going to do that, they are going to need to justify that West Virginia belongs in the same region as those states which are a part of the Big 12, so good luck with that

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
I wasn't aware the southeast was a culture, but a region/location. Texas and Oklahoma are not located in the southeast. I consider them south central.

You can't jump from Southeast to southwest. There has to be a central; Texas and OK is that. Parts of that states can be divided between the two regions. Adding VA and KY to the SE is pushing it.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
When I think of southeastern, I think of states touching the Atlantic Ocean: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Florida also touches the Gulf of Mexico and the northwestern part is right below Alabama, but overall it is in a southeastely location.

Not all southern states are included because I don't consider the other ones as southeastern.
I generally tend to think of southern states east of the Mississippi River when thinking of the southeast.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I wasn't aware the southeast was a culture, but a region/location. Texas and Oklahoma are not located in the southeast. I consider them south central.

You can't jump from Southeast to southwest. There has to be a central; Texas and OK is that.
You've got to throw Louisiana and Arkansas in there, too.

When it comes down to it, the Southeast most strictly refers to those southern states which are east of the Mississippi - Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia and Kentucky (depending on who you talk to).

Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I voted all of them except for Maryland, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Texas. Oklahoma and Texas are Southern but not Southeastern because of their ties (culturally and geographically) with the Southwest. West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware are mixed, they're not really Northern or Southern.

I would definitely agree with goodly parts of this bolded statement. As in that other than far East Texas, very little of the state could be called "southeastern".

Still, at the same time I am going to wade in a moment and once again repeat an argrument I have made so many times in my C-D forum membership, that I think I might honestly be able to type it in my sleep! LOL

But seriously -- taken as a whole -- Texas is not "culturally and geographically" part of the "Southwest"...if by "Southwest" one is referring to the interior desert SW states of New Mexico and Arizona and parts or all of other bordering states of the Census Bureau West, which might fit that bill.

For one thing, those states did not even become states until the 20th Century...long after Texas (due to settlement patterns, etc) was firmly solidified as part of the American South.

Yes, of course, there is the exception of the trans-pecos area and, arguably, today, parts of South Texas. But unlike the true hispanic/native-American influenced Southwest, this is a comparatively recent phenomenon in terms of demographics. For instance, even San Antonio, whose very name conjures up images of Old Mexico, has a tremendous history of Old South influence and culture.

It is simply not possible for Texas to be really "influenced" by the true Southwest. If anything at all, there is a slice of eastern New Mexico that is influenced by Texas...and the attendant influence of Southern migration (Southern speech, Southern Baptist Church, etc). Even Oklahoma, with all its Native American heritage is not quite the same as NM and AZ in that regard. Most of the Oklahoma Indians came from the southeast states and culturally assimiliated early on.

I can never emphasize it strongly enough (not that anybody has to agree with it, of course! LOL), that the "Southwest" of Texas (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Oklahoma) are the "Southwest" of the original meaning of the term. That is, the literal western frontier of the South itself...the "western South." Defined as essentially and basically Southern in all the important ways yet, having unique characteristics that seperate it somewhat from its southeastern first cousins.

On the other hand -- to make direct comparissons -- while Texas (and Oklahoma) have many traits rightfully considered "western"? There is little to nothing "Southern" about New Mexico and Arizona. One set is "western South" while the other is "southern West"...and they are two very different critters! The "pairs" are just two totally different "Southwests" and do not belong classified in the same historical and cultural region with one another.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You've got to throw Louisiana and Arkansas in there, too.

When it comes down to it, the Southeast most strictly refers to those southern states which are east of the Mississippi - Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia and Kentucky (depending on who you talk to).
Louisiana is east and west of the Mississippi.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Arkansas is harder than I thought. Southern and Eastern Arkansas is Southeastern. But NW Arkansas is hardly Southeastern. It's kind of like Northern West Virginia. Lots of Midwestern influences in that part of the state. It's hard to explain Louisiana as well. That's why I struggled with these two states.

As far as MD, DC, VA, and WV. I still don't look at VA as Southeastern. But if you must classify all these places as Southern (which I do for VA and WV to an extent), than it should have it's own variation or region of the South like Texas and Oklahoma has for Western South. Maybe Upper South or something.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's why I cook it myself..

Yea its big, but I don't eat them and neither doesn't anyone I know besides my grandmother.
You struggled in LA because of boiled peanuts? Or am I missing the big picture.
Yeah you missed the big picture. In that Southern Louisiana and Northern Louisiana are night and day in just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.