Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM

938 posts, read 4,081,696 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at going on a vacation this December (international) and would look to hear everybody's opinion as to what are destinations where the dollar is particularly strong.

We've been hearing alot about Buenos Aires, Argentina...anybody been there that can elaborate?

any and all answers welcome.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 05:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,151,962 times
The Caribbean

Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,494,456 times
Buenos Aires is amazing. It's an amazing value for the dollar. Bottles of wine in nice restaurants go for the equivalent of $5-$12 (though I find Argentine wine to be smooth, but boring). Nonetheless you could go out to a nice restaurant in Palermo and enjoy cocktails, appetizers, entrees, a bottle of wine, dessert, and espresso for around the equivalent of $100, and most places will offer a discount if you pay in cash. Then you could go out and dance until eight in the morning!

The shopping, the Italian food, the nightlife, the architecture, the culture, the flea-markets, the countryside are all unbeatable.

Regarless of whether you like classical music or opera, you need to see a show at Teatro Colón (Home - Teatro Colón). You will be amazed.

I'd also recommend going over to Uruguay, which is in my opinion the most underrated county in the word. It has everything Argentina has, but it's safer, cleaner, and quieter. Once in Uruguay, you need to order a Chivito Sandwich (Uruguay's Amazing National Dish: The Chivito Sandwich | The Kitchn)! They are amazing!

One word of caution: compared to Europe, you can't expect the people in Argentina to speak English, especially if you go off the beaten path. My Spanish is poor, but yet the entire time I was there (6 weeks) I only met one person who offered to switch over to English. If you don't speak Spanish, I'd highly recommend going with someone who does.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
I totally second Buenos Aires, with maybe Hawaii or Costa Rica as a second.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 AM

7,773 posts, read 10,073,714 times
Considering this question is over five years old, I really hope the OP has already gone on that vacation.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 7,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Considering this question is over five years old, I really hope the OP has already gone on that vacation.
but it's winter vacation,

Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 PM

8 posts, read 10,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

ha, I was looking at the post dates and was wondering the same thing.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,645,291 times
A five star resort in Wailea,
a day at the beach in Makena
snorkeling at Molokini
a drive on the heavenly road to Hana
a swim in a natural waterfall pool
a sunrise at Haleakala crater
macademia nut pancakes with coconut and pineapple for breakfast
Ahi poke for lunch
Kalua pork for dinner
tiki torches at night and plenty of rounds of mai tais
yeah that sounds like a perfect Maui vacation and I want it now! Maui no ka oi! A hui hou Maui.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,151,962 times
Hawaii is the perfect winter destination and I'd recommend it. But the OP desires to go to another country, and while Hawaii feels like that, I recommended the Caribbean for that reason.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 PM

29 posts, read 34,604 times
Guys, look at the post date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.